2003 Accord Radio Display Problem

Old June 6th 05, 11:51 PM
Mike

Success!! The dealer spoke with Honda and Honda agreed to cover the
repalcement cost. I should have the car back tomorrow (they were also
doing the 37k service....plus replacing the wiper motor that went out
this morning...not covered - I'm not having a good month!).

I'm surprised but very happy that Honda decided to cover the radio
display problem. I think this was the right thing for them to do given
the history of this sort of failure. The dealer said the customer cost
of the radio was $750, plus labor to install it (probalby cost about
$900 total to repair). Said the solution required a complete audio
unit replacement, not just the display. Honda's back on my good side.

Mike

Old June 7th 05, 02:30 AM
Casey

Mike said

> Success!! The dealer spoke with Honda and Honda agreed to cover the
> repalcement cost. I should have the car back tomorrow (they were also
> doing the 37k service....plus replacing the wiper motor that went out
> this morning...not covered - I'm not having a good month!).
>
> I'm surprised but very happy that Honda decided to cover the radio
> display problem. I think this was the right thing for them to do given
> the history of this sort of failure. The dealer said the customer cost
> of the radio was $750, plus labor to install it (probalby cost about
> $900 total to repair). Said the solution required a complete audio
> unit replacement, not just the display. Honda's back on my good side.

Great!

I'm calling my dealer again tomorrow. Still haven't received a call
from the case worker.

Casey
Old June 7th 05, 12:38 PM
Sparky Spartacus

Mike wrote:

> Success!! The dealer spoke with Honda and Honda agreed to cover the
> repalcement cost. I should have the car back tomorrow (they were also
> doing the 37k service....plus replacing the wiper motor that went out
> this morning...not covered - I'm not having a good month!).

Sorry you're having a crap month - I hada similar one back in Feb.

> I'm surprised but very happy that Honda decided to cover the radio
> display problem. I think this was the right thing for them to do given
> the history of this sort of failure. The dealer said the customer cost
> of the radio was $750, plus labor to install it (probalby cost about
> $900 total to repair). Said the solution required a complete audio
> unit replacement, not just the display. Honda's back on my good side.

Very good news indeed about Honda's covering your radio problem. I think
they should have, but it's always nice to see a company step up & do the
right thing.
Old June 7th 05, 02:54 PM
Nick

Does anyone know if this is localized to just 2003 models?

Thanks,
Nick

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 07:38:15 -0400, Sparky Spartacus

Old June 8th 05, 12:22 PM
Steppenwolf

The display on our '04 Accord EX radio failed after about 14 months and 25K
miles, and was promptly replaced by the dealer without charge, and they even
called XM and had our account transferred to our new radio. We didn't have
to do (or pay for) a thing.

Old June 10th 05, 03:24 PM
Mike

Casey, any luck from your dealer or Honda yet?

Old June 10th 05, 05:01 PM
Beerman182

It's really good to hear that I have the same problem; Mike how long
after you went to te deler and had them look at it did they put a new
radio in??

Old June 10th 05, 07:59 PM
Casey

Mike said

> Casey, any luck from your dealer or Honda yet?

Still no caseworker call from Honda. I'm going to call them again - at
least I had the sense to get a reference number from the first time I
called.

As far as the dealer goes, I haven't contacted them again yet because
I've been snowed under with work for the last few days.

Casey
Old June 10th 05, 08:56 PM

Mike wrote:
> Success!! The dealer spoke with Honda and Honda agreed to cover the
> repalcement cost.

Congratulations! One of the big reasons I bought my '04 Accord EX V6
and my wife's '04 MDX is that they stepped up to the plate several
times on our two '90 Integras and a '99 Passport. Too bad they made
you sweat it, and aren't willing to take a more unified, consistent
approach to all these display problems.

Dittos to the poster to mentioned this as a good reason to keep the
radio separate from the a/c controls. A real nice "gotcha now" when
either goes out. You can bet they slap a new part into your unit,
which will become a refurb for the next guy, at $900.

Since this problem is being reported on '04's now as well as '03's, I
may eventually just leave my radio on in the garage for months on end,
and cook it to death. This problem has nothing to do with miles, it
has to be hours of operation. Maybe around 1200 hours of operation. I
can do that in 3 months in my garage, and maybe I will when there is
enough lead time remaining on the warranty, but not too much. The damn
clock gains a minute a week anyway.

If Honda doesn't announce a better policy, we should all run our radios
'till they die.

Old June 21st 05, 04:37 AM
Casey

Mike said

> Casey, any luck from your dealer or Honda yet?

Wow. Out of the blue, an American Honda rep finally called me back
today after 3 weeks. I explained the situation (my 2003 is two years
old and has almost 40,000 miles now) and also explained that I didn't
want to make a 50 mile round trip so someone could say, "yeah, the
radio display really is dark" and then order a new one and tell me to
come back later.

This rep called my dealer. In ten minutes I got a call from the dealer
- radio is ordered, we will call you next week when it is in, and Honda
will pay to have it replaced.

I'm close to a happy ending on this and beginning to have a good
feeling about it.

Casey

2003 Accord Radio dead Fred Honda 2 July 6th 05 04:43 AM
2003 Mazda Protoge vs 1995 Honda Accord Wagon [email protected] General 2 May 19th 05 09:02 AM
XM satellite radio problem. Anyone see this? Richard Forester Honda 11 January 20th 05 03:38 PM
Blank radio display BillyforExplorers Ford Explorer 0 November 9th 04 04:57 PM
1991 Honda Accord Startup Problem Frank starr General 6 March 21st 04 11:31 PM