axle stands

Old September 13th 05, 06:06 PM
MP

Default axle stands

Hi.

Just bought a pair of axle stands for BMW e39 to adjust handbrake, I just
want to make sure where you'd put the stands (car rear).

Can someone plz confirm?

Thanks

Old September 13th 05, 06:59 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
MP > wrote:
> Just bought a pair of axle stands for BMW e39 to adjust handbrake, I
> just want to make sure where you'd put the stands (car rear).

How are you lifting the car? If using a trolley jack I put the axle stand
under the pad for the car jack.

--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old September 13th 05, 08:33 PM
MP

Hi Dave

I've only got the jack which came with the car, so that'd use the pad to
lift but was unsure of where to place the axle stands.

Old September 14th 05, 06:49 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
MP > wrote:
> I've only got the jack which came with the car, so that'd use the pad to
> lift but was unsure of where to place the axle stands.

Use a short length of strong smooth timber next to the jacking point, and
the axle stand under that.

--
*Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark *

Old September 15th 05, 04:35 PM
Ian

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:59:58 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> MP > wrote:
>> Just bought a pair of axle stands for BMW e39 to adjust handbrake, I
>> just want to make sure where you'd put the stands (car rear).

>How are you lifting the car? If using a trolley jack I put the axle stand
>under the pad for the car jack.

Um, I am interested in the answer to the original question as well!

The manuals I've seen - HBOL and ETK/TIS - for my recently acquired
E39 (recent switch from Merc - impressed so far!) specify placing axle
stands under the jacking points as Dave has said. They also state
using these points as the only suitable trolley jacking points. Now,
with the Merc I could jack up anywhere along the sill, the rear diff
or the front suspension. I guess the diff is still OK on the E39 but
am less sure about using any suspension components since, I believe
they are aluminium. I guess for rear end lift the tow bar would also
be OK.
Where else is considered OK, please ?
Please reply to group - email address is not monitored
Ian