Jimmy tailgate stuck

Old November 10th 04, 09:47 PM
Jimmy1990

Default Jimmy tailgate stuck

My 1990 GMC Jimmy was dented in the tailgate and the tailgate will not
unlock. When I turn the key and handle, it makes a "click" and the
rear window unlocks and can be opened but if I turn the handle further
(in either direction) I cannot get the tailgate to unlatch. Something
is obviously broken inside but how do I open it up to repair if I
can't unlatch and lower the tailgate?
Can anybody help me?

Thanks
Bill
Old November 10th 04, 10:17 PM
Roger Brown

Jimmy1990 wrote:

> My 1990 GMC Jimmy was dented in the tailgate and the tailgate will not
> unlock. When I turn the key and handle, it makes a "click" and the
> rear window unlocks and can be opened but if I turn the handle further
> (in either direction) I cannot get the tailgate to unlatch. Something
> is obviously broken inside but how do I open it up to repair if I
> can't unlatch and lower the tailgate?
> Can anybody help me?

Is there a cover plate over the inside of the tailgate? If so, try
removing it to gain access to the inside of the tailgate. Its usually
pretty easy to figure out what is going wrong when you can look at the
mechanism.

--
Roger
Old November 11th 04, 02:58 AM
Reed

Jimmy1990 wrote:

> My 1990 GMC Jimmy was dented in the tailgate and the tailgate will not
> unlock. When I turn the key and handle, it makes a "click" and the
> rear window unlocks and can be opened but if I turn the handle further
> (in either direction) I cannot get the tailgate to unlatch. Something
> is obviously broken inside but how do I open it up to repair if I
> can't unlatch and lower the tailgate?
> Can anybody help me?
>
> Thanks
> Bill

(You may want to look at another Jimmy/Blazer with a working outer
handle to see how this is done. Also if you are inside the cargo
area, not bending over the edge)

To open the gate (technically called the "endgate", tailgates are
on pickups), on each side of the inner trim panel upper edge there
should be "cut-outs" that let you see the actual latchs that hold
the gate closed. You need to pry up the upper metal piece that
keeps the latch "closed". It is the piece that moves when you turn
the handle.

--reed
Old November 11th 04, 01:46 PM
Jimmy1990

Thanks all. I'll try to pry up the latches from the inside (as
suggested by Roger Brown) and if I can't get them to let go, I'll
tear off (and ruin) the inside endgate panel. I suppose I can always
buy a replacement at an "auto graveyard" somewhere.

This is the first time I've used one of these internet "groups". It's
great!

Bill

Old November 11th 04, 07:33 PM
Default User

Jimmy1990 wrote:

> Thanks all. I'll try to pry up the latches from the inside (as
> suggested by Roger Brown) and if I can't get them to let go, I'll
> tear off (and ruin) the inside endgate panel. I suppose I can always
> buy a replacement at an "auto graveyard" somewhere.
>
> This is the first time I've used one of these internet "groups". It's

You may want to check your local public library and see if they have
any manuals for your Jimmy (Blazer of the same year is a better bet).
Many libaries now have web interfaces to their catalog, allowing you to
search the titles/subjects.

Brian

Stuck Thermostat Jeff Strickland BMW 4 November 24th 04 02:42 PM
E39 automatic tailgate malfunction Lars BMW 0 October 14th 04 09:03 AM
94 grand voyager stuck in drive Me Dodge 16 May 5th 04 01:14 PM
buckled tailgate - pics willie 4x4 0 January 8th 04 03:45 PM