Engine Transplant Recommendation

Old March 26th 07, 06:20 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.pontiac,rec.autos.tech
sdlomi2[_2_]

Default Engine Transplant Recommendation

"Scott Buchanan" > wrote in message
>I bought my first non-GM car in more than twenty years yesterday. It is a
> 1985 Mercedes 230 CE which is a gray market car here in the US. The body
> and
> interior are in very nice shape but the engine is shot due to a timing
> chain
> problem that bent valves and probably damaged the pistons.
>
> Instead of the expense of rebuilding this engine, I am thinking of putting
> in a
> GM V-6.
>
> It looks like that there is plenty of room to it mount in place of the
> original straight four.
>
> What engine, transmission combination from what vehicle would you
> recommend?
> Keep in mind that this is a rear wheel drive car. I'll be looking at
> auctions to find a wrecked car so that I can get all the electronics too.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

You'll find plenty of aftermarket products for the Chev 4.3 v-6 and it
has plenty of power. After all, it is essentially the old trusty 350/5.7
with the back 2 cylinders 'cut off'. IIRC, the s-10 pickups/Blazers after
approx. 1995 have a 4L60E trans, a good one, and a "vortec" v6, more power
than earlier ones. However, you'd need the donor's computer to make the
trans shift. Earlier 4.3's were not as powerful as the "Vortec" series, but
IIRC they have the 700R4 trans, which can be caused to shift with an
installable kit(like from Jeg's) just by dropping the trans pan.
Easiest way to make the swap would be with a suitable intake, carb, and
an "hei" distributor from GM--only 1 hot wire to connect to dist. for all to
fire up and run and shift gears using the 700R4 trans & shift-kit.
What would be the ultimate, using GM's v6, would be to get the later
model v-tec with 4L60E trans and use its computer to control all. Much more
wiring adaptations, plus comp. mods, but it'd be a neat, dependable swap,
giving plenty of hp PLUS good mpg. Luck, s

Old March 26th 07, 08:30 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.pontiac,rec.autos.tech
Mark Sparge

On Mar 26, 12:20 pm, "sdlomi2" > wrote:
> "Scott Buchanan" > wrote in message

> >I bought my first non-GM car in more than twenty years yesterday. It is a
> > 1985 Mercedes 230 CE which is a gray market car here in the US. The body
> > and
> > interior are in very nice shape but the engine is shot due to a timing
> > chain
> > problem that bent valves and probably damaged the pistons.

> > Instead of the expense of rebuilding this engine, I am thinking of putting
> > in a
> > GM V-6.

> > It looks like that there is plenty of room to it mount in place of the
> > original straight four.

> > What engine, transmission combination from what vehicle would you
> > recommend?
> > Keep in mind that this is a rear wheel drive car. I'll be looking at
> > auctions to find a wrecked car so that I can get all the electronics too.

> > Thanks,
> > Scott

Check out the website <http://www.jagsthatrun.com>. They provide
aftermaket engine mounts (among other things) and "how-to" information
for dropping GM V8s into various vehicles. I haven't specifically
checked, but there's the possibility that some of their stuff is
applicable to GM V6s as well.

Not affiliated,
Mark

Old March 26th 07, 11:25 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.pontiac,rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Mar 26, 12:38 pm, "Scott Buchanan" > wrote:
> I bought my first non-GM car in more than twenty years yesterday. It is a
> 1985 Mercedes 230 CE which is a gray market car here in the US. The body and
> interior are in very nice shape but the engine is shot due to a timing chain
> problem that bent valves and probably damaged the pistons.
>
> Instead of the expense of rebuilding this engine, I am thinking of putting
> in a
> GM V-6.
>
> It looks like that there is plenty of room to it mount in place of the
> original straight four.
>
> What engine, transmission combination from what vehicle would you recommend?
> Keep in mind that this is a rear wheel drive car. I'll be looking at
> auctions to find a wrecked car so that I can get all the electronics too.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

I second sdlspamo's choice. The 4.3 is a good motor and should be easy
to find, plus I believe it has the same bolt pattern as a small block.
If you get board with the six a 350 should bolt right up to the 700r4.

Old March 26th 07, 11:35 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.pontiac,rec.autos.tech
PerfectReign[_2_]

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:38:20 -0800, a rock fell the sky, hitting Scott
Buchanan on the head, and inspiring the following:

> I bought my first non-GM car in more than twenty years yesterday. It is
> a 1985 Mercedes 230 CE which is a gray market car here in the US. The
> body and interior are in very nice shape but the engine is shot due to a
> timing chain problem that bent valves and probably damaged the pistons.
>
> Instead of the expense of rebuilding this engine, I am thinking of
> putting in a
> GM V-6.

As others have mentioned, the Vortec 4.3L V6 was a great engine. I had a
'95 Jimmy which I drove for 150K miles in seven years. Just watch out for
the early ('95-'96) injectors as they are FUBAR.

Again, it is basically a 5.7 minus two cylinders with the same bolt
pattern and can hook up to the same tranny.

The jagsthatrun site is pretty useful for a swap. I haven't looked in a
few years, but I knew a few guys who did a V8 swap into blazers using
their advice.

If you're really itching for some fun, try a 6.2 or a 6.5L diesel. Again,
same bolt pattern as the 5.7 AFAIK.

--
kai

closing the doors that surround me
so no one will ever penetrate
complete my retreat just to wait for the day
that never comes so i will laugh alone
Old March 27th 07, 01:25 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.pontiac,rec.autos.tech
Eugene Blanchard

Follow this link to a real engine: 1100 cid V8 in a Mustang!

http://www.catsasskustoms.com/module...hp?storyid=165

--
Eugene Blanchard
http://www.catsasskustoms.com
Old March 27th 07, 01:52 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.pontiac,rec.autos.tech
Dll

"Mark Sparge"

> Check out the website <http://www.jagsthatrun.com>. They provide
> aftermaket engine mounts (among other things) and "how-to" information
> for dropping GM V8s into various vehicles. I haven't specifically
> checked, but there's the possibility that some of their stuff is
> applicable to GM V6s as well.

Lot of things to line up and/or interfere. Unless you have CAD models of
both, or are real handy with a torch (I'm not), I'd want to know the
combination was going to work.

My experience is limited to dropping in a different option available from
the factory. That was enough work.

If I was going to go through the work in your case, though, I'd go Chev 350.
I'd get the baddest, fastest, smoothest engine I could afford and stuff it
in there. It would have to have lots of machined and powdercoat stuff, and
lots of modern Tuned Port electrical crap that I could tweak myself. I
think that would provide the most fun for all the same efforts involved.

- D

Old March 27th 07, 07:26 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.pontiac,rec.autos.tech
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Scott Buchanan wrote:
> Thanks for the responses. I read up on the Vortec. It looks like a good
> engine but I think that it may be too much power for this application. I
> don't want to break anything. Did they use the 3800 in any rear wheel drive
> car?

You're taking the trans that goes with the V6 or one that
can handle even more, you'll certainly need a custom driveshaft anyway...
Just the rear axle is all you'll have left that it could possibly break.
I don't think a MB would have one so weak as not to be able to deal with
it in more or less normal driving. Maybe if you're doing burnouts you
could break it.

Old March 27th 07, 07:52 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.pontiac,rec.autos.tech
Scott Buchanan

Old March 27th 07, 01:12 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.pontiac,rec.autos.tech
Mike Marlow

"Scott Buchanan" > wrote in message

> Thanks for the responses. I read up on the Vortec. It looks like a good
> engine but I think that it may be too much power for this application. I
> don't want to break anything. Did they use the 3800 in any rear wheel

drive
> car?

The Vortec is indeed a better engine, but you're not talking insane
horsepower here. You won't be breaking anything - at least not because of
the Vortec.

--

-Mike-