Ok, you've convinced me

Old May 10th 10, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Professor[_2_]

Default Ok, you've convinced me

I'm at an age where I look for the small things in
life to give me pleasure.
I've loved the look and the idea of a Miata for years
but my practicality always led me to other cars.
I own a 2006 Mazda3 GT but I'm looking to trade it in
for a MX-5.
I don't have the cash for a new one, so I'm on the
lookout for something used.
I can't make up my mind between something only a
couple of years old with PHTP or an older one that
won't cost as much.
I consider the PHRT almost a necessity because here in
Vancouver, BC it rains something fierce from September
to April each year.

I would consider going south into the US but the
powers-that-be make it a real pain to bring a car home.

Any suggestions at to which years hold up better,
things to be on the look-out for etc. would be greatly
appreciated.

Professor
PS I've already found a local Miata club to join.
Old May 10th 10, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_3_]

On 2010-05-10, Professor > wrote:

> I consider the PHRT almost a necessity because here in
> Vancouver, BC it rains something fierce from September
> to April each year.

The non-PHRT models do have a soft top that you can put up when it
rains.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm in direct contact
at with many advanced fun
Old May 10th 10, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
NetMax

On May 10, 12:59*pm, Professor > wrote:
> I'm at an age where I look for the small things in
> life to give me pleasure.
> I've loved the look and the idea of a Miata for years
> but my practicality always led me to other cars.
> I own a 2006 Mazda3 GT but I'm looking to trade it in
> for a MX-5.
> I don't have the cash for a new one, so I'm on the
> lookout for something used.
> I can't make up my mind between something only a
> couple of years old with *PHTP or an older one that
> won't cost as much.
> I consider the PHRT almost a necessity because here in
> Vancouver, BC it rains something fierce from September
> to April each year.
>
> I would consider going south into the US but the
> powers-that-be make it a real pain to bring a car home.
>
> Any suggestions at to which years hold up better,
> things to be on the look-out for etc. would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Professor
> PS I've already found a local Miata club to join.

2006-2008 = NC1
2009-2010 = NC2
Basically the NC2 is the excellent NC1 with all the TSBs (roof latch,
clutch, etc) rolled up, various upgrades to make it more robust and
sporty (suspension changes, transmission changes, higher redline,
bigger oil pan, forged crank etc), plus a lot of new features/frills
(better sound proofing, stance lowered 1/2", goofy grin grill etc).

With the lowered price of the car, and the current exchange rates, if
you can find a new '09, that's your best buy. I don't know what
rebates are still available on unsold '09. The next best would be a
used '09 GT PRHT. The lowest cost would be an '06 ST. Nothing really
wrong with the NC1. Aftermarket parts will adress the suspension
issues. The stuff you cannot upgrade is not as important (to most
people). Have Fun!

Net
Old May 10th 10, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Q[_2_]

On 2010-05-10 12:59:11 -0400, Professor > said:

> because here in Vancouver, BC it rains something fierce from September
> to April each year.

And mostly fog and drizzle from April to September. ;-)

Still... better than most places i've lived.

cheers

Don

Old May 10th 10, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Professor > wrote:

> Any suggestions at to which years hold up better,
> things to be on the look-out for etc. would be greatly
> appreciated.

All Miatas after the 1991 model year are robust and extremely reliable
with only basic maintenance, as long as they're not overheated or run
out of oil. Price should reflect condition more than mileage, and older
models are cheap enough that minor repairs are easily affordable.

Spend some time at miata.net. You'll find a buyer's guide for the first
series of cars (1990-97). I'd have any prospective purchase checked over
by an independent mechanic familiar with Miatas.

The PRHT is wonderful, but the soft tops on all years are quite
weatherproof and easy to use. My 1994 still has its original top. You'll
see some with vinyl rear windows and some with glass, depending on year
or aftermarket replacement.

Don't sell or trade your 3 yet. You could buy, say, a 1994-97 for a few
thousand, just to see whether you're a roadster kinda guy. Sell it at
little or no loss in midsummer, then either spring for a newer Miata or
write the idea off and move on. Or keep the 3 for general use, and keep
the old Miata to drive in the best weather. That's what I do, and it's
ideal with a two-car garage.

Above all, test drive the various model years, and decide which you like
best.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old May 11th 10, 12:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Alright, well, somebody has to put a good word in for the in between choice,
the best choice ;-), the 'NB' 1999~2005! Here's my take on it, if you're
trying not to spend too much money but you also don't want the oldest /
original body style with the pop-up headlights and such. The 2nd gen Miatas
have become quite reasonable. High points (no specific order);

-glass rear window (never have had a leak on the NB top, had occassional
leaks on the NA between top and side windows)
-(still) modern looking styling both exterior AND interior
-less sqeeky / rattly interior bits than NA
-many are far cheaper than any NC is to date and not allot more than an NA
of similar mileage.

Trust me on this. Some will disagree but only trust the opinion of those who
have spent years with both ;-)

Seriously though, the beauty of the Miata is that it's actually hard to go
wrong! The test driving phase is not to be under-rated, done properly
(meaning DO NOT just drive one of each and think you know), I think you will
know which one meets your needs and budget best. Keep us posted on what you
decide to do.

Later,
Chris
99BBB

Old May 11th 10, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Alright, well, somebody has to put a good word in for the in between
> choice, the best choice ;-), the 'NB' 1999~2005! Here's my take on it,
> if you're trying not to spend too much money but you also don't want the
> oldest / original body style with the pop-up headlights and such. The
> 2nd gen Miatas have become quite reasonable. High points (no specific
> order);
>
> -glass rear window (never have had a leak on the NB top, had occassional
> leaks on the NA between top and side windows)
> -(still) modern looking styling both exterior AND interior
> -less sqeeky / rattly interior bits than NA
> -many are far cheaper than any NC is to date and not allot more than an
> NA of similar mileage.
>
> Trust me on this. Some will disagree but only trust the opinion of those
> who have spent years with both ;-)
>
> Seriously though, the beauty of the Miata is that it's actually hard to
> go wrong! The test driving phase is not to be under-rated, done properly
> (meaning DO NOT just drive one of each and think you know), I think you
> will know which one meets your needs and budget best. Keep us posted on
> what you decide to do.
>
> Later,
> Chris
> 99BBB

I will speak up for the 1999-2005 model, especially the MSM, though I
guess I should drive one before I get too happy about it.

I would really like to have the NA, NB and NC. An aftermarket turbo
monster 1990-1997 model like I have now, the 2005 MSM and a 2009-2010 NC
with PRHT.

That is not being too greedy is it?

Pat
Old May 11th 10, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

pws wrote:
> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>> Alright, well, somebody has to put a good word in for the in between
>> choice, the best choice ;-), the 'NB' 1999~2005! Here's my take on
>> it, if you're trying not to spend too much money but you also don't
>> want the oldest / original body style with the pop-up headlights and
>> such. The 2nd gen Miatas have become quite reasonable. High points
>> (no specific order);
>>
>> -glass rear window (never have had a leak on the NB top, had
>> occassional leaks on the NA between top and side windows)
>> -(still) modern looking styling both exterior AND interior
>> -less sqeeky / rattly interior bits than NA
>> -many are far cheaper than any NC is to date and not allot more than
>> an NA of similar mileage.
>>
>> Trust me on this. Some will disagree but only trust the opinion of
>> those who have spent years with both ;-)
>>
>> Seriously though, the beauty of the Miata is that it's actually hard
>> to go wrong! The test driving phase is not to be under-rated, done
>> properly (meaning DO NOT just drive one of each and think you know),
>> I think you will know which one meets your needs and budget best.
>> Keep us posted on what you decide to do.
>>
>> Later,
>> Chris
>> 99BBB

> I will speak up for the 1999-2005 model, especially the MSM, though I
> guess I should drive one before I get too happy about it.
>
> I would really like to have the NA, NB and NC. An aftermarket turbo
> monster 1990-1997 model like I have now, the 2005 MSM and a 2009-2010
> NC with PRHT.
>
> That is not being too greedy is it?
>
> Pat

Why not a V-8 from Monster Miata? 0-60 in around 4.7 sec. Then you can add
a turbo to that.

Old May 11th 10, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Frank Berger wrote:

> Why not a V-8 from Monster Miata? 0-60 in around 4.7 sec. Then you can add
> a turbo to that.

I have heard that the handling gets thrown off a bit with the V8. Not
sure I am a good enough driver for it to matter, though. That Lexus V8
system for the Miata has always seemed awesome to me.

That power would be incredible. If I build up the current motor with
forged pistons and such, I can take the boost about as high as I want,
but then things like transmissions, drive shafts and differentials can
start to break.

The person who built it included things like the 550CC injectors and 3"
exhaust in anticipation of building up the engine and increasing the boost.
My self-imposed limit out of a 1.8 liter with the stock drive line is
probably around 250 hp.

Right now, the car is set up with around the same power that you have,
and just a bit less weight, maybe 250 pounds less, partly from the
earlier model with less safety features and partly from things like the
AC being removed.
The acceleration levels on the two cars is probably quite similar, but I
imagine that the MSM delivers it in a bit more civilized manner.

I am really guessing that your MSM is a lot more fun in Texas on a
summer day than my 1991 model. ;-)

That power to weight ratio of around 200 hp and 2450 or so pounds is
plenty for me, one reason that the MSM with the FM package you have is
interesting to me.

Still going to check out that MSM. I need to go autocross with Chris and
swing by Dallas on my way home.

Pat
Old May 11th 10, 05:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> I have heard that the handling gets thrown off a bit with the V8. Not
> sure I am a good enough driver for it to matter, though. That Lexus V8
> system for the Miata has always seemed awesome to me.

Forget Monster and Lexus. Get thee to http://www.flyinmiata.com/ and
read about their LS1/LS3 conversions. Only about 200 lb. heavier than
stock, not much more than a turbo kit. Is 450 bhp enough? It's only
money.

They have autocross video. Crank up your speakers. Oh, and better pee
first.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO