The state of state speed limits

Old July 17th 05, 09:57 PM
MC Pee Pants

TV's wrote:
> John F. Carr wrote:
>
>> States where I know there are non-freeway rural four lane roads
>> with the maximum speed limit on such roads between two lane
>> freeway limits are Alabama (65 on four lane roads), Florida
>> (65 on divided highways), Indiana (60 on divided highways
>> without access control), Missouri (65 on divided highways
>> without access control), North Dakota (70 on divided highways),
>> South Dakota (70 on divided highways), Washington (65 on
>> divided highways), and West Virginia (65 on limited access
>> corridor routes). Of the rest, some post expressways like
>> freeways and others post expressways like two lane roads.
>> --

> Missouri has several 4-lane expressways with 70 MPH limits. They are
> US 63 between Columbia and Jefferson City and US 54 between Kingdom
> City and Jefferson City. (I think other parts of US 54 may be posted
> at 70 MPH as well.)

There are a few "Missouri Super-2" highways in MO (US 63 north of Rolla, for
example) with a 65 MPH speed limit. The "Two Lane Speed Limits" map shows
it as 60 in both MO and AR. I have never seen a 2 lane road with a 60 MPH
limit in Arkansas...

--

Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning.
A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing.

Old July 18th 05, 03:15 PM
Doug Krause

In article >,
Robert Cruickshank > wrote:
>Some rural interstates do have a speed limit of 70 - in addition to I-15
>as you mentioned, I-40, I-10 east of Banning, and parts of I-5 in the
>Central Valley are all signed at 70 mph.

I think part of I-8 east of San Diego is 70 mph.

Old July 18th 05, 08:10 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article > ,
GL > wrote:
>Your map shows CA as having a max speed limit of 70. It should be 65.
>The Maximum Speed in CA on freeways is 65, unless otherwise posted.

Rural freeways in California may have speed limits of 70, although
the default freeway speed limit is 65. 5 in the central valley is
one example of a freeway with a speed limit of 70.

Timothy J. Lee
Old July 18th 05, 08:20 PM
Michael Angelo Ravera

The part of US-101 from Kings City to San Miguel that you describe *IS*
freeway and posted at 70 MPH. There is a new freeway section around
Mojave that is posted at 65MPH for no good reason that I can determine.
It should be 70 MPH under current law (and dereg under common sense).

Back in 1995, the California Legislature passed the existing 65/70 MPH
law with only about 2 decenting votes! I wonder if we should start
working for 130 km/h (81MPH) or dereg on rural freeways. Has anyone in
California actually been cited by a CHP for less than 85 MPH in a 70
MPH zone lately?

Old July 19th 05, 05:22 AM
OM

Another suggestion is to make the map of states that makes staying on
the right lane compulsory unless overtaking the slower vehicle. Colorado
legislated the law last year, and I've noticed the dramatic improvement
in lane discipline and use a year after. Perhaps some statistics to
reflect the reduction of accidents and such?

California is so bad! So many motorists clutter up the left lanes,
forcing me to overtake them on the right lane and pray that no vehicles
are entering the highway as I overtake them!

Old July 24th 05, 09:05 PM
John David Galt

Michael Angelo Ravera wrote:
> The part of US-101 from Kings City to San Miguel that you describe *IS*
> freeway and posted at 70 MPH. There is a new freeway section around
> Mojave that is posted at 65MPH for no good reason that I can determine.
> It should be 70 MPH under current law (and dereg under common sense).
>
> Back in 1995, the California Legislature passed the existing 65/70 MPH
> law with only about 2 decenting votes! I wonder if we should start
> working for 130 km/h (81MPH) or dereg on rural freeways. Has anyone in
> California actually been cited by a CHP for less than 85 MPH in a 70
> MPH zone lately?

CHP has been running a crackdown on 99 in the Valley lately. I guess
they needed to look like their existence is necessary.