1991 Jetta CA model is different

Old November 3rd 04, 01:50 PM
dave

Default 1991 Jetta CA model is different

I just saw a California 1991 8V gas model for the first time here in Chicago.
Totally odd stuff on the engine, at least to me:
Different fuel injector wiring, with maybe individual wiring for each injector.

Different throttle body switches and two stop screws for the levers.
Engine check light. I wonder if I can hook the vag-com tool up to the ECM?

But same wiring issues that the 91s are known for, ground wiring breaking at
coolant flange, wiring breaking at throttle switches.

BTW it was failing the Indiana Emissions test due to the broken ground wire.
later,
dave
Reminder........
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way,
when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their
shoes. Frieda Norris

Old November 3rd 04, 07:12 PM
Randolph

I believe the '91s got Digifant I in California and Digifant II
elsewhere. Prior to Digifant, the 8V engines had CIS-e (= K-Jetronik)
and before that just CIS (=Jetronik).

Old November 4th 04, 07:18 AM
Matt B.

"dave" > wrote in message
>I just saw a California 1991 8V gas model for the first time here in
>Chicago.
> Totally odd stuff on the engine, at least to me:
> Different fuel injector wiring, with maybe individual wiring for each
> injector.

Correct. Individual ground wires at each injector vs. a common ground.
Allows monitoring of individual injectors by th ECU. The ECU can throw a
fault code for a bad injector (4411 I believe) and I suspect that's why the
individual grounds are there. Just a guess though on my part.

> Different throttle body switches and two stop screws for the levers.

Digi-I uses a throttle valve potentiometer instead of idle and full-throttle
switches like Digifant II.

> Engine check light. I wonder if I can hook the vag-com tool up to the
> ECM?

Yes with an adaptor. See http://www.parts4vws.com. However there is also a
procedure in the Bentley for jumping two terminals under the shifter boot to
get the code to blink out using the CEL. you can also reset/clear the codes
this way too. How cool is that! No vagcom needed really for this car.

Digifant 1 was used on California 8V Golfs/GTIs/Jettas for 1991-1992. Prior
to that it was Digi-2 but still may have had a CEL if a California car.

The CEL on 1991-1992 Calif. Digi-1 cars is in the little panel along with
the brake warning lamp and seat belt lamp.

The CEL on pre-91 Digi-2 Calif. cars I believe is actually part of a rocker
switch that is just like the other rocker switches (see Bentley for
illustration). blinking out the code on that kind of setup is even easier
(see the Bentley). you don't even need a jumper wire like you do with
Digi-1...you use the switch itself. Careful though...if you do it wrong in
either case (Digi 1 or Digi 2 and reading the codes out) you might erase the
code you're trying to get. The procedure for reading them and clearing them
differs only by swapping two steps in a different order in the process so
make sure you consult the Bentley first!

A lot of people like to hate Digifant, but my Digi-1 with its own diagnostic
capabilities that do NOT require me to have a VagCom is awesome...I love it.

Old November 4th 04, 07:20 AM
Matt B.

"dave" > wrote in message
> I really did not think the Digifant I would be THAT different than the
> Digifant
> II.
> Now I need to study the Bentley to see if differences are noted.

To add to the confusion, Corrado G60s nationwide (not just CA) are Digifant
I. But it's also not the same Digi-I that was in 1991-1992 California 8V
G/J/GTIs either. Clear as mud?

Old November 4th 04, 07:25 AM
Matt B.

"dave" > wrote in message
> I really did not think the Digifant I would be THAT different than the
> Digifant II. Now I need to study the Bentley to see if differences are
> noted.

They are noted. I forget where exactly and it isn't more than a few
sentence but it's there.

And here's an excellent site for the DIY-er on Digifant:
http://www.members.tripod.com/~fuelie/intro.htm

More specifically for your questions on Digi 1 vs 2:
http://www.members.tripod.com/~fuelie/whatis.htm

Old November 4th 04, 03:22 PM
dave

>From: "Matt B."
>
>"dave" > wrote in message
>> I really did not think the Digifant I would be THAT different than the
>> Digifant II. Now I need to study the Bentley to see if differences are
>> noted.

>They are noted. I forget where exactly and it isn't more than a few
>sentence but it's there.
>
>And here's an excellent site for the DIY-er on Digifant:

http://www.members.tripod.com/~fuelie/intro.htm

>More specifically for your questions on Digi 1 vs 2:
>http://www.members.tripod.com/~fuelie/whatis.htm

thanks Matt
You have given me a bunch of good info! :-)

Old November 7th 04, 03:45 AM
Randolph

Randolph wrote:

> I believe the '91s got Digifant I in California and Digifant II
> elsewhere. Prior to Digifant, the 8V engines had CIS-e (= K-Jetronik)
> and before that just CIS (=Jetronik).

I must have been typing in my sleep. CIS = K-jetronic and CIS-e = KE
Jetronic.