1971 transporter

Old March 2nd 06, 06:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default 1971 transporter

heres my story outline version...

a. left ignition key on over weekend

b. did not realize ignition was left
on when i went to start engine monday
morning

c. used my 'quick start' jumper device(from
costco)to start engine

d. drove to work ok,couple miles, generator
light stayed off so charging seems to be
working. but still not enough juice to start
engine at end of day, so use quick start to
start again.

e. get home, charge the battery, install battery
and engine starts real easy. red generator
light flickers on and off, never solid... i
suspect fan belt is loose,so i try to tighten
with new shims...crank over engine, generator
light still flickers on and off

f. 3 wires on top of generator, two on trminal
lugs on top are tight...one towards the fan
housing on top of generator, maybe ground is
loose...i tighten it down and generator light
stays red....

g. any suggestions?...maybe the brushes? is there
a way to trouble shoot? the engine is in a
bus, so you know how hard it is to get to different parts....

Old March 2nd 06, 12:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Doesn't leaving the ignition on burn up the points?
Andy

lkaboutautos.com...

Old March 2nd 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

You have to check the regulator. Maybe you have burn it.

Joćo

Old March 2nd 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

keroac wrote:
> heres my story outline version...
><SNIP>

> f. 3 wires on top of generator, two on trminal
> lugs on top are tight...one towards the fan
> housing on top of generator, maybe ground is
> loose...i tighten it down and generator light
> stays red....
>
> g. any suggestions?...maybe the brushes? is there
> a way to trouble shoot? the engine is in a
> bus, so you know how hard it is to get to different parts....

Look on my web site for:
"How do I test my generator?"

Follow the steps exactly.

----------
I'm just guessing here, but it's possible that internal
wiring of the generator got damaged when you were "tightening"
the screws.

But the generator test will help you decide whether the problem
is in the generator or the regulator.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old March 2nd 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

this morning i started the bus and the red light did not come on...then
about 1/2 mile down the road it begins to flicker...i thought maybe
increase rpm's would correct problem, but still flickers..at work today so
i will not be able to test till later tonite or the weekend..thanks for
help suggestions...any others, greatly appreciated....thanks

Old March 2nd 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Busman" > wrote in message
et...
> Doesn't leaving the ignition on burn up the points?

I don't know about the points.

I left the key on in a late 60's bug and took out the regulator and the coil.

- Bill

Old March 3rd 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I'd check the spring tension on the brushes in the generator as well
as the rest of the checks Quick James suggests. It may charge well
when cold then as the springs warm up, lose their tension and contact.
Of course as usual, the tip/suggestion is free. I hope it is more than
worth what is paid for it.

>this morning i started the bus and the red light did not come on...then
>about 1/2 mile down the road it begins to flicker...i thought maybe
>increase rpm's would correct problem, but still flickers..at work today so
>i will not be able to test till later tonite or the weekend..thanks for
>help suggestions...any others, greatly appreciated....thanks

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

If A Quiz is Quizzical,
What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been
cancelled due to a conflict.
Old March 3rd 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I still have mine on my 1971 standard!

Fweem.

--
David A. Tosi
Facilities Manager

Also an antique VW nut!

Old March 4th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Eight. Nine if you count the one in my garage.

Old March 5th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On 3/3/2006 7:40 PM MUADIB wrote:

> Eight. Nine if you count the one in my garage.

The ninth person is in your garage?

--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus