The 'Teg might finally be pooched...

Old August 19th 10, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
jim beam[_4_]

Default The 'Teg might finally be pooched...

On 08/15/2010 06:27 PM, Tegger wrote:
> Oil consumption in the old '91 Integra seems to be increasing very rapidly.
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/oil-graph.pdf
>
> Throttle-body annual inspection& clean Aug14/10:
> - oil is now VERY evident -- carbon is now wet, and throttle plate sticks
> slightly before cleaning is performed;
> - intake plenum obviously coated with oil inside;
> - exhaust emits brief puff of smoke when transmission is shifted at very
> high revs (not visible to driver, but is visible to following car).
>
> Funny though, the car just passed smog with wonderul numbers back in the
> spring, and it starts and runs as well as ever. But gas mileage has dropped
> by about 1 mpg in the past year:
> 2008: 29.79 mpg
> 2009: 29.91 mpg
> 2010: 28.75 mpg
> (June-to-Aug, each measured interval roughly 3,000 miles)
>
> Not good.

i think you still have a way to go.

http://automobiles.honda.com/mile-ma...aspx?Story=783

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old August 19th 10, 07:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_4_]

Tegger wrote:
> Mat > wrote in
> news >
>
>> Any piston slap issues with that Teg?

> Since about 90K miles. It's been essentially unchanged for 259K miles.
>

>> I have had them since 120k, now
>> at 240k (kms) Just a little knocking for the 1st min on cold mornings
>> otherwise no problems.
>>

> My mechanic tells me piston-slap has no bearing on engine life; the engine
> will die "with" it, not "of" it.
>
> My problem with this car is simply piston-travel distance. The jalopy
> spends much of its time on the highway at about 4,000 rpm, this due to a
> very low-geared 5th. Pistons can only go up-and-down for so long before the
> rings eventually wear out.
>
> I have fervently wished, over the years, that I had a taller 5th...

Wow... I tend to keep the Gen II Civics below 3K (rpm)s. A lot of
things can be factored in over time including metal fatigue, ka pow!

When you finally retire it, do so with ceremony...

JT

Old August 19th 10, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
jim

Tegger wrote:

> Because with the level dropping as far as it does, as fast as it does, I
> now need to top-up more frequently than before. And if I top-up, I might as
> well record what I find as I go.

What has that got to do with the question I asked. You said compute mileage
over a 3000 mile interval. Are you saying you "top-up" your gas tank once every
3000 miles?

For some reason you seem to comprehend that measuring gas mileage over small
disjointed intervals would produce inaccurate results. For some reason you
can't comprehend that measuring over small disjointed intervals is even more
inaccurate for determining oil usage.

> > I notice you went from 344,700 349,00 without an oil change. Thought
> > you claimed to change oil every 3000 miles.
> >

> That particular interval was due to my 83-year-old mother having some
> serious health problems, ending up in the hospital for a couple of weeks; I
> had no time to do an oil change. She lives an hour away from me one-way, so
> I did a lot of driving over those two weeks.

Do you think I was suggesting your car behaves differently because it knows
your mother is sick?

What your engine did seem to notice was how long you left the oil in this
summer. In case you didn't know there is a very definite relationship between
how much oil an engine uses and how long the oil has been in the crankcase.
This relationship is usually very evident in an engine with more than 300k
miles that is starting to use some oil. That relationship is the exact opposite
of what most your data shows (up until this summer) , which is why I know your
data (up until this summer) is bogus.

-jim

Old August 19th 10, 07:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tegger[_3_]

jim beam > wrote in
t:

> you have the ls? tegger has the rs. different 5th ratio.

Actually, the transmission gear ratios are the same through all models of
the Integra for '90 and for '91. They are different from automatic to
manual, though.

--
Tegger
Old August 19th 10, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 08/19/2010 11:48 AM, Tegger wrote:
> jim > wrote in
> t:
>

>> you have the ls? tegger has the rs. different 5th ratio.

> Actually, the transmission gear ratios are the same through all models of
> the Integra for '90 and for '91.

but different ratios are apparently available:
http://hondaswap.com/reference-mater...n-specs-29132/

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old August 20th 10, 12:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tegger[_3_]

jim beam > wrote in
news
> On 08/19/2010 11:48 AM, Tegger wrote:
>> jim > wrote in
>> t:
>>

>>> you have the ls? tegger has the rs. different 5th ratio.

>> Actually, the transmission gear ratios are the same through all
>> models of the Integra for '90 and for '91.

> but different ratios are apparently available:
> http://hondaswap.com/reference-mater...on-specs-29132
> /

Apparently so, but they all shipped from Suzuka equipped the same way.

Wish I'd thought of asking years ago if there were a taller 5th available.
I see the site you reference shows the B18B as having shipped with taller
5th and diff ratios. What's that, about 7% taller overall than the ratios
listed for the USDM B18A? Not a lot of difference. I'd get 3,880 rpm
instead of 4,000.

Then there's the question of whether the listed gearsets are even
compatible between trannies.

I'd guess the aftermarket also makes gearsets with custom ratios.

--
Tegger

Tegger's 'Teg passes another emissions test! Tegger[_2_] Honda 12 May 19th 09 10:17 PM
Tegger's 'Teg needs a cat... Tegger Honda 20 May 24th 08 01:08 AM
New muffler for the 'Teg! Tegger Honda 12 July 26th 07 02:00 AM
Finally..... SteveH Alfa Romeo 0 June 17th 07 11:49 AM
2000 Teg's GSR Rims for grabs [email protected] Honda 0 December 9th 04 04:36 AM