Fram air filter for TJ-poor mpg

Old February 1st 05, 11:45 PM
[email protected] L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

And it still runs?
http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
God Bless America, =DFill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 2nd 05, 12:21 AM
SteveBrady

I didn't start charting my mileage until after I got a clone K&N. But I
know if I drive smart I've gotten upwards of 20mpg...best was 22mpg....but
I'm usually 17 just keeping up with the F1 drivers on the 400!

Old February 2nd 05, 02:04 AM
Mike Romain

If I run 120-130 kph on the 400's I get about the same drop. If I kick
back at 105-110 or so I get better, the 23 mpg or 11L/100 km. On Hwy. 7
running less than 100 kph, closer to the speed limit of 80 I get up to
26 mpg.

I have a 200 mile gas station to gas station trip I take regularly so
have lots of chance to check it. Almost $5.00 more to run it with the
front hubs locked in because of snow potential on that 200 miles.

I run a generic filter air I believe. Chain store brand. My carb stays
pretty clean for all the dirt I run so they work well. Been using them
since the 70's on all my vehicles.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 2nd 05, 06:56 AM
Jerry Bransford

A K&N is ok for a street vehicle but it filters too poorly for a Jeep
that is offroaded in dusty conditions. Tests show it really lets the
fine dust through, not a good thing. I have to run a K&N because my OBA
compressor takes up the space where my OE air filter box used to be but
get it so it was filtering well enough for my desert wheeling, I ended
up placing two pre-filters over the top of my K&N. Yes the combination
can still provide more air than my 4.0L engine is capable of consuming.

Jerry

Old February 2nd 05, 07:34 PM
Snow

I'm the same as Mike with the xj, if I stay in the 'normal" range of 110-115
I get great mileage, less then 100 (if I want to be like the dumb stupid
#$%^&*&*& who insist on driving the 400's during a snow fall, when they
can't drive for **** to begin with" then I get pretty close 26mpg. Yeah
the few times I decide to take the jeep into the warp speeds the posers and
rice burners do I get right down to 15-16 mpg. This of course is all
relative to how many transport trucks I decide to draft. In 2 weeks I'm
going North with the truck, I figure I'll get about 20 mpg depending on 3
things, 1 how many ricers I see, 2 how many transports I follow and 3 how
much of the trip the wife is awake for

Snow...

Old February 3rd 05, 03:10 AM
Ken Knapp

You know, one thing I've been curious about is how the tire size will relate
to mpg - taller tires give you higher or lower mpg. I can argue it either
way in my head.

Ken

Old February 3rd 05, 03:21 AM
DougW

Ken Knapp did pass the time by typing:
> You know, one thing I've been curious about is how the tire size will relate
> to mpg - taller tires give you higher or lower mpg. I can argue it either
> way in my head.

I went from 215 to 225 and saw doodle difference. Generally I think that
city mileage would get worse with taller tires (more power required to
accelerate) and highway would be better (lower rpm for a given distance)

I've seen a greater difference in milage from dirty air filters, fuel
filters, spark plugs, burned rotors, and vac leaks, than anything.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old February 3rd 05, 05:40 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Ken,
It takes more energy to turn the larger tire because of it's
heavier weight.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 3rd 05, 10:28 AM
Old Crow

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 22:10:49 -0500, "Ken Knapp"
> wrote:

>You know, one thing I've been curious about is how the tire size will relate
>to mpg - taller tires give you higher or lower mpg. I can argue it either
>way in my head.
>
>Ken

I drive 135 miles a day to work and back. When I first got my Jeep I
it had 30x9.50's on it. Mileage? Almost exactly 20 mpg.
I went with 235-75R15 replacement tires and my mileage never changed a
bit. Still takes 7 gallons a day to commute.

--
Old Crow
'82 Shovelhead FLTC 92" 'Pearl'
Old February 3rd 05, 01:37 PM