what kind of oil is best for honda civic in spring?

Old April 16th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default what kind of oil is best for honda civic in spring?

What oil is best for performance for a 2000 civic for the spring/summer?

Old April 16th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

See owner's manual.

ups.com...

Old April 16th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> What oil is best for performance for a 2000 civic for the spring/summer?

Probably 5-30W

Old April 17th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

tww wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> What oil is best for performance for a 2000 civic for the spring/summer?

> Probably 5-30W

im almost positive 5w20 is whats called for, but 5w30 isnt gonna kill
anything. really wish i knew the TRUTH on the oil recommendations,
considering the engines the same.
Old April 17th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 19:03:38 -0700, SoCalMike
> wrote:

>tww wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>> What oil is best for performance for a 2000 civic for the spring/summer?

>> Probably 5-30W
>>

>im almost positive 5w20 is whats called for, but 5w30 isnt gonna kill
>anything. really wish i knew the TRUTH on the oil recommendations,
>considering the engines the same.

I'm afraid not. Honda recommends 5W20 for 2001+ Civics.

So the recommended grade for the 6th generation (96-00) Civics = 5W30.

Old April 17th 06, 09:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

it doesn´t really matter if you take a 5w30 or 10w40 ... you could
even take a 10w60...

--
Menu dei Motori
Menu dei Motori's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...p?userid=35830

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old April 17th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"SoCalMike" > wrote in message
> tww wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> >> What oil is best for performance for a 2000 civic for the

spring/summer?

> > Probably 5-30W
> >

> im almost positive 5w20 is whats called for, but 5w30 isnt gonna kill
> anything. really wish i knew the TRUTH on the oil recommendations,
> considering the engines the same.

It might be, but my 01 Prelude calls for 5-30W, which I am should imagine
was consistent with what Honda recommended at that time for all of its cars.
Hence the 00 Civic would take 5-30.

Old October 22nd 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

>>> Probably 5-30W
>>>

>>im almost positive 5w20 is whats called for, but 5w30 isnt gonna kill
>>anything. really wish i knew the TRUTH on the oil recommendations,
>>considering the engines the same.

> I'm afraid not. Honda recommends 5W20 for 2001+ Civics.
>
> So the recommended grade for the 6th generation (96-00) Civics = 5W30.

Sorry, that is not correct.
Honda currently recommends 5W-20 for all 1996 t0 2006 Civics. The
recommendation for 5W-30 is for 1991 to 1995.
These recommendations have changed over the years and may differ from what
your owners manual or your oil cap says. As oil formulation improves the
viscosity recommendation may also change. You can use 5W-30 if you have a
high mileage motor or you experience severe service (see your owners manual)
in your driving. But using 5W-20 in your motor will probably give you the
best overall mileage and protect your motor.
Howard