69 vette

Old May 3rd 06, 03:44 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default 69 vette

i took my 69 vette out for its first time had trouble starting up once
it was running it ran good til it started to get hot the car started
bucking and cuting out hard to start then i would have to let cool down
for about 15 min car would run good for alittle bit and then start
bucking and cutting out is the starter the problem.69 427 435 hp 4spd

Old May 3rd 06, 04:07 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Check the choke pulloff first, (when engine is warm
is the choke blade completely open)
then when it's hot and bucking, turn off the engine
and look down into the carb and look if you can see fuel
trickling onto the butterflies (stuck float).

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove –SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson
Old May 3rd 06, 04:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

How hot is hot? These old cars ran about 180-195 normally, but commonly
climbed to 200-220 due to lots of reasons. If hot, you need to check
radiator, fan, water pump, block rust, coolant ratio and condition, spoiler
intact, radiator seals, and so on.

If it is really hot, then you could have fuel percolating problems. Common
spots are fuel pump, fuel line, and carbs. Check that the fuel line is not
against the intake, block, or water pump. A heater hose could lay on the
line and overheat it.

People frequently cut the metal lines and insert aftermarket fuel filters
with rubber hose. These can be trouble spots as they can restrict the flow
and lay on the engine.

You could also have a bad or low capacity pump. I've run into many rebuilt
pumps which do not have the capacity for a big block. The rebuilder just
stuffs the generic parts into a housing, and then the parts store sells them
as whatever application the number on the side is. However, the stuff
making volume and pressure are not. The best case is to use a real genuine
new AC pump, or one from a respected restoration rebuilder. It costs a lot
more, (and I mean a LOT), but then the car runs like new.

Check the other stuff first.

Old May 5th 06, 02:26 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"Tom in Missouri" > wrote in message
nk.net...
..

> You could also have a bad or low capacity pump. I've run into many

rebuilt
> pumps which do not have the capacity for a big block. The rebuilder just
> stuffs the generic parts into a housing, and then the parts store sells

them
> as whatever application the number on the side is. However, the stuff
> making volume and pressure are not. The best case is to use a real

genuine
> new AC pump, or one from a respected restoration rebuilder. It costs a lot
> more, (and I mean a LOT), but then the car runs like new.
>
> Check the other stuff first.

You can buy new hi-volume fuel pumps almost anywhere now. No need to look
for an OEM pump.

Al

Old May 5th 06, 08:33 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

John Moore wrote:
> i took my 69 vette out for its first time had trouble starting up once
> it was running it ran good til it started to get hot the car started
> bucking and cuting out hard to start then i would have to let cool down
> for about 15 min car would run good for alittle bit and then start
> bucking and cutting out is the starter the problem.69 427 435 hp 4spd

Check for stuck choke or stuck exhaust header heat riser.

Another possibility may be rust particles from the gas tank clogging the
fuel filter
and maybe entering the carburetor, or even clogging the filter bag over
the fuel outlet in the gas tank,
restricting flow volume.

You could disconnect the fuel line and then turn the engine over with
the line end in a glass jar
so you can collect some gas and inspect for any sediment in the jar; or,
put a clear glass filter
in your fuel line so you can see any sediment there.
Old May 6th 06, 07:51 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"WayneC" > wrote in message
> John Moore wrote:
> > i took my 69 vette out for its first time had trouble starting up once
> > it was running it ran good til it started to get hot the car started
> > bucking and cuting out hard to start then i would have to let cool down
> > for about 15 min car would run good for alittle bit and then start
> > bucking and cutting out is the starter the problem.69 427 435 hp 4spd
> >

> Check for stuck choke or stuck exhaust header heat riser.
>
> Another possibility may be rust particles from the gas tank clogging the
> fuel filter
> and maybe entering the carburetor, or even clogging the filter bag over
> the fuel outlet in the gas tank,
> restricting flow volume.
>
> You could disconnect the fuel line and then turn the engine over with
> the line end in a glass jar
> so you can collect some gas and inspect for any sediment in the jar; or,
> put a clear glass filter
> in your fuel line so you can see any sediment there.

435's have three two barrels. Just replace the fuel filter and cut the old
one open and see what's inside. I've used about three feet of rubber gas
line and a small funnel to see what's inside a filter. Put the hose on the
funnel and the outlet of the filter. Hold it up by the funnel over a pan and
pour gas in the funnel. If the filter is full of crap it will come out the
inlet and be in the pan.

Al