There are automotitve experts here who could help you -- PLEASE STATE MAKE, YEAR & MODEL OF VEHICLE!

Old June 11th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default There are automotitve experts here who could help you -- PLEASE STATE MAKE, YEAR & MODEL OF VEHICLE!

Posting car problem questions without this information is a waste of
electrons.
Engine and transmission options would be nice too!
Thank you.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

Old June 11th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

=====
=====
Don wrote:
> Posting car problem questions without this information is a waste of
> electrons.
> Engine and transmission options would be nice too!
> Thank you.
>
> Don
> www.donsautomotive.com

======
======

I'm real fond of VIN #s too.

~:~
mm
~:~

Old June 12th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Seconded, this is an issue in all the auto forums I've seen!
oups.com...

Old June 12th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 19:12:15 -0400, "Shep" >
wrote:

>Seconded, this is an issue in all the auto forums I've seen!

It gets monumentally worse in computer forums. ;`(

roups.com...

>>> www.donsautomotive.com

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Old June 12th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Marsh Monster wrote:

> =====
> =====
> Don wrote:
> > Posting car problem questions without this information is a waste of
> > electrons.
> > Engine and transmission options would be nice too!
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Don
> > www.donsautomotive.com

> ======
> ======
>
> I'm real fond of VIN #s too.
>
> ~:~
> mm
> ~:~

Why? Do you run a chop shop and want all the VIN's you can get your
fingers on?

That would be the 'only' reason I could think of for some internet freak
to want numbers...

Mike
Old June 12th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Mike Romain Wrote:
> Why? Do you run a chop shop and want all the VIN's you can get your
> fingers on?
>
> That would be the 'only' reason I could think of for some internet
> freak
> to want numbers...
>
> Mike

VIN# tells you everything you need to know about equipment, version,
production date, etc. Having VIN numbers would be of no use to a chop
shop. It's right in your windshield for the whole world to see, not
like it's a big secret...:screwy:

--
jeffcoslacker
jeffcoslacker's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=219638

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old June 12th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

jeffcoslacker wrote:

> Mike Romain Wrote:
> > Why? Do you run a chop shop and want all the VIN's you can get your
> > fingers on?
> >
> > That would be the 'only' reason I could think of for some internet
> > freak
> > to want numbers...
> >
> > Mike

> VIN# tells you everything you need to know about equipment, version,
> production date, etc. Having VIN numbers would be of no use to a chop
> shop. It's right in your windshield for the whole world to see, not
> like it's a big secret...:screwy:
>
> --
> jeffcoslacker

The VIN also gives the country and name and address of the vehicle owner
and here in Canada any creditors or your banking institution's name. If
you want your name and address and financing to be public, that might be
fine, but in this day of identity theft and the fact that chop shops can
print out 'new' VIN's.....

Folks should be aware just what and how much a VIN gives away....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old June 13th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

In article >,
Mike Romain > wrote:

> Marsh Monster wrote:
> >
> > =====
> > =====
> > Don wrote:
> > > Posting car problem questions without this information is a waste of
> > > electrons.
> > > Engine and transmission options would be nice too!
> > > Thank you.
> > >
> > > Don
> > > www.donsautomotive.com

> > ======
> > ======
> >
> > I'm real fond of VIN #s too.
> >
> > ~:~
> > mm
> > ~:~

> Why? Do you run a chop shop and want all the VIN's you can get your
> fingers on?
>
> That would be the 'only' reason I could think of for some internet freak
> to want numbers...
>
> Mike

Actually, a VIN can tell you a goodly bit of legit stuff about the
"guts" of the car as it came from the factory - Engine size, computer
type, tranny version, carb or FI, two or four bbl, smog package, if any,
and what standard it's built to satisfy (Canada? California? Europe?
Other?) etc.

That stuff has been encoded in the VIN for a while, with more and more
being added these days, along with some other stuff that's purely
"serial number" info or just-plain trivia (ferinstance original paint
color and what assembly line of what plant put it together in some
cases) or less trivial like whethehr it's a Cleveland, Detroit, or
Windsor (each with their own oddities that could be meaningful for tough
cases) engine block, or whether the front-end came from Saginaw Steering
Gear or from the Flint plant (Again with each having its own quirks),
and so on.

Granted, most of us don't have that sort of lookup material "on tap",
but some do, and it can be useful.

On the other hand, this "Marsh Monster" troll DOES strike me as being...
Well... As you so succinctly put it, "some internet freak".

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
Old June 13th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

In article >,
Mike Romain > wrote:

> jeffcoslacker wrote:
> >
> > Mike Romain Wrote:
> > > Why? Do you run a chop shop and want all the VIN's you can get your
> > > fingers on?
> > >
> > > That would be the 'only' reason I could think of for some internet
> > > freak
> > > to want numbers...
> > >
> > > Mike

> > VIN# tells you everything you need to know about equipment, version,
> > production date, etc. Having VIN numbers would be of no use to a chop
> > shop. It's right in your windshield for the whole world to see, not
> > like it's a big secret...:screwy:
> >
> > --
> > jeffcoslacker

> The VIN also gives the country and name and address of the vehicle owner
> and here in Canada any creditors or your banking institution's name. If
> you want your name and address and financing to be public, that might be
> fine, but in this day of identity theft and the fact that chop shops can
> print out 'new' VIN's.....
>
> Folks should be aware just what and how much a VIN gives away....

Be aware, sure, but realize that by law, it's displayed right there in
the corner of your windshield for anyone with a passing interest to
read, copy, or otherwise access for whatever purpose (or none
whatsoever) they might have.

Unless you're a cop, or have a court order, I'd expect that it's *VERY*
difficult, if not impossible, to cross-reference a VIN number into any
information about financial and/or ownership details without being
associated with/having the permission of the leinholder or owner, while
the other info it encodes is mostly pretty easy to look up.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
Old June 13th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Mike Romain > wrote in
:

> The VIN also gives the country and name and address of the vehicle owner
> and here in Canada any creditors or your banking institution's name. If
> you want your name and address and financing to be public, that might be
> fine, but in this day of identity theft and the fact that chop shops can
> print out 'new' VIN's.....
>
> Folks should be aware just what and how much a VIN gives away....

I can't see anything wrong with anything but the last six digits. *That's*
the part that uniquely identifes your car.

But in order for ANY part of the VIN to be useful, you'd have to know how
to decode it. Any even then, all it would give you is what anyone can tell
you by reading their trunk lid badges and ownership papers.

--
TeGGeR®