faulty accumulator PT

Old September 5th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
therebel

Default faulty accumulator PT

anyone have any idea of the symptoms of a bad air/con accumulator

Old September 5th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 18:20:23 GMT, "therebel" >
wrote:

>anyone have any idea of the symptoms of a bad air/con accumulator <snip>

An accumulator, by definition of refrigeration equipment, is just a
"slop tank" to keep liquid out of, say, the suction inlet on a
compressor, or to keep condensed liquid off the valves/heads of a
compressor. There are no moving parts. However, many systems have an
orifice tube or screen that is in their accumulator tanks that acts as
a coarse system filter, and that does get plugged up during a
compressor failure, or if the system has been run to death on a low
charge, or on mixed/wrong oil.

Signs of a plugged orifice tube/suction screen in any system would be
abnormally low suction pressure at the compressor, somewhat high head
pressure and very high superheat out of the evaporator when compared
to the compressor inlet pressure. If the system has a test port at
the evaporator tailpipe (rare anymore, if at all) you'll also see a
high evaporator pressure. On a full charge, that means the suction
side will be "not cold" to the hand under light load (low evaporator
fan speed, etc.) while the compressor suction reading will be
abnormally low. There is no way, other than if it filled up with
debris from a failed compressor that an accumulator proper could
fail...it's just a tank with a baffle in it. Same goes for most
automotive receiver/dryers...just a standard receiver tank (opposite
of an accumulator; it wants nothing BUT liquid to go out its outlet)
with a cheap bag of silica gel hung in it. Better aftermarket
receivers can be had with molded cores as are used in commercial
refrigeration, but they don't come cheap and are tough to source.
Sporlan, years ago, did offer a line of aftermarket molded cord
reciever/dryers which were excellent at cleaning up dirty/acetic
systems, but FrigiKing and ARA ran them out of that part of the
business. Sporlan is still probably the largest and best supplier of
commercial refrigeration accessories and valves in the US.
Old September 5th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"therebel" > wrote in message
> anyone have any idea of the symptoms of a bad air/con accumulator

Why not just post a question on what's wrong with your vehicle?

Glenn

Old September 5th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
therebel

2.2CRD 2002 model year. 40k on the clock. car came in to workshop with
burned out compressor clutch. tech replaced compressor and these symptoms
started. initial start up ac works ok for about 3 mins, the low pressure
gauge on the regas station indicates about 5 bar then starts to rise then
drop as the clutch cycles approx every 5 secs. every cycle takes the low
pressure up a touch more until the cooling effect stops and the pipework
feels warm. the high pressure never moves from 5 bar . when evacuating
the system the full charge is never removed and has to be repeated several
times. the fixed orifice tube has also been renewed. i am thinking towards
the accumulator but have never experienced a failure in 10 years.

Old September 5th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"therebel" > wrote in message

PT
> 2.2CRD 2002 model year. 40k on the clock. car came in to workshop with
> burned out compressor clutch. tech replaced compressor and these symptoms
> started. initial start up ac works ok for about 3 mins, the low pressure
> gauge on the regas station indicates about 5 bar then starts to rise then
> drop as the clutch cycles approx every 5 secs. every cycle takes the low
> pressure up a touch more until the cooling effect stops and the pipework
> feels warm. the high pressure never moves from 5 bar . when evacuating
> the system the full charge is never removed and has to be repeated

several
> times. the fixed orifice tube has also been renewed. i am thinking

towards
> the accumulator but have never experienced a failure in 10 years.
> > wrote in message
> > anyone have any idea of the symptoms of a bad air/con accumulator

2 questions.......... First question to you is are you using the test port
for the high side gauge at the compressor or at the hose itself?
2nd question..... Does the A/C condenser fan come on as soon as the
compressor engages.

My guess will be you are using the ports at the hoses on the top and the fan
does not turn on when the compressor turns on. If the fan does not turn on
as soon as the compressor kicks on the high side will go extremely high, the
condenser will get very hot and in some cases the R-134 may blow out. If you
use the port at the top you will not see the high side. It has to be
connected to the compressor port. Very hard to access unless you have a
small hand/arm the grille and radiator must be loosened

Glenn

Old September 5th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
therebel

. ..

Old September 5th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"therebel" > wrote in message
news

> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > "therebel" > wrote in message

goes,
> > PT
> > > 2.2CRD 2002 model year. 40k on the clock. car came in to workshop

with
> > > burned out compressor clutch. tech replaced compressor and these

> symptoms
> > > started. initial start up ac works ok for about 3 mins, the low

> pressure
> > > gauge on the regas station indicates about 5 bar then starts to rise

> then
> > > drop as the clutch cycles approx every 5 secs. every cycle takes the

> low
> > > pressure up a touch more until the cooling effect stops and the

pipework
> > > feels warm. the high pressure never moves from 5 bar . when

> evacuating
> > > the system the full charge is never removed and has to be repeated

> > several
> > > times. the fixed orifice tube has also been renewed. i am thinking

> > towards
> > > the accumulator but have never experienced a failure in 10 years.
> > > >

> > 2 questions.......... First question to you is are you using the test

port
> > for the high side gauge at the compressor or at the hose itself?
> > 2nd question..... Does the A/C condenser fan come on as soon as the
> > compressor engages.
> >
> > My guess will be you are using the ports at the hoses on the top and the

> fan
> > does not turn on when the compressor turns on. If the fan does not turn

on
> > as soon as the compressor kicks on the high side will go extremely high,

> the
> > condenser will get very hot and in some cases the R-134 may blow out. If

> you
> > use the port at the top you will not see the high side. It has to be
> > connected to the compressor port. Very hard to access unless you have a
> > small hand/arm the grille and radiator must be loosened
> >
> > Glenn
> >
> > you are right i am using top ports and fan does not cut in .

Bingo!!! your fan module is bad. If you have a scan tool you can actuate the
high and low speed. you will probably not have a low speed.And before you
install the fan.......connect to the compressor port and you will see how
high the pressure is

Glenn

Old September 5th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
therebel

"maxpower" > wrote in message

> "therebel" > wrote in message
> news
> >
> > "maxpower" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> > >
> > > "therebel" > wrote in message

> goes,
> > > PT

> with

> > symptoms

> > pressure

rise
> > then

the
> > low

> pipework

> > evacuating
> > > several
> > > towards
> > > > >

> > > 2 questions.......... First question to you is are you using the test

> port
> > > for the high side gauge at the compressor or at the hose itself?
> > > 2nd question..... Does the A/C condenser fan come on as soon as the
> > > compressor engages.
> > >
> > > My guess will be you are using the ports at the hoses on the top and

the
> > fan
> > > does not turn on when the compressor turns on. If the fan does not

turn
> on
> > > as soon as the compressor kicks on the high side will go extremely

high,
> > the
> > > condenser will get very hot and in some cases the R-134 may blow out.

If

> > you
> > > use the port at the top you will not see the high side. It has to be
> > > connected to the compressor port. Very hard to access unless you have

> > > small hand/arm the grille and radiator must be loosened
> > >
> > > Glenn
> > >
> > > you are right i am using top ports and fan does not cut in .
> > >

> Bingo!!! your fan module is bad. If you have a scan tool you can actuate

the
> high and low speed. you will probably not have a low speed.And before you
> install the fan.......connect to the compressor port and you will see how
> high the pressure is
>
> Glenn
>
> cool (pun) but how do you explain the problem with the recovery of the

refrigerant?

Old September 5th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"therebel" > wrote in message

> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> >
> > "therebel" > wrote in message
> > news
> > >
> > > "maxpower" > wrote in message
> > > . ..

> > goes,

> > with
> > > symptoms
> > > pressure

> rise
> > > then

> the
> > > low

> > pipework
> > > evacuating

repeated

thinking

accumulator

test
> > port

> the
> > > fan

> turn
> > on

> high,
> > > the

out.
> If
> >
> > > you

have

> > Bingo!!! your fan module is bad. If you have a scan tool you can actuate

> the
> > high and low speed. you will probably not have a low speed.And before

you
> > install the fan.......connect to the compressor port and you will see

how
> > high the pressure is
> >
> > Glenn
> >
> > cool (pun) but how do you explain the problem with the recovery of the

> refrigerant?

Im not an engineer!!! But im sure it has something to do with the port on
the line, all I know is you are not supposed to use the upper port.

Glenn

Old September 6th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MT-2500[_22_]

therebel Wrote:
> anyone have any idea of the symptoms of a bad air/con accumulator

This is not a sprint phone with the bar reading.:grinyes: :rofl: :lol:

Give us some good old Fashion low and high side pressure readings at
idle and at 2000 rpm with ac compresser running.
MT

--
MT-2500
MT-2500's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=382930