recommendations for 5 series year / model - in UK

Old August 28th 06, 01:22 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Nick

Default recommendations for 5 series year / model - in UK

I have just sold my 1995 E34 525TDS, and whilst it had a few problems which
I sorted, I really liked the car.
However, the replacement does not inspire confidence and so I am looking for
another 5 ? series and have
the following wishlist.
Diesel, Manual, reliable, age between 1997 and 2001 and a budget of around
GBP £8K or a bit more if justified.
I can do most work myself but do not have many "special" tools.

Can anyone point me to models to look for and those to avoid for ? whatever
reasons ?

I guess it may/must be an E39, but don't know much model history / years to
avoid / gadgets to go for etc..

Appreciate comments and suggestions

Thanks,

Nick

Old August 28th 06, 03:48 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Carrier

E39 530d is well-regarded. Only significant weakness might be the
plastic/aluminum radiator which can develop cracks in high-miles cars.

Not sure if diesel can be optioned with sport suspension, but it makes an
already fine-handling machine even better. There are no "stay away from"
options for the car., but the navigation system is notably inferior to that
offered on Japanese luxury cars of the same era.

R / John

Old August 28th 06, 06:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Nick > wrote:
> I guess it may/must be an E39, but don't know much model history /
> years to avoid / gadgets to go for etc..

It was one of those rare models which was right from the off, so no year
to avoid.

As regards gadgets - same as any other car. But even the base model is
well enough equipped.

--
*Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old August 29th 06, 10:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

John Carrier wrote:
> E39 530d is well-regarded. Only significant weakness might be the
> plastic/aluminum radiator which can develop cracks in high-miles cars.
>
> Not sure if diesel can be optioned with sport suspension, but it makes an
> already fine-handling machine even better. There are no "stay away from"
> options for the car., but the navigation system is notably inferior to that
> offered on Japanese luxury cars of the same era.

You guys are lucky to get BMW diesels. If BMW ever offers it here in
the US, I wouldn't hestitate to get one, especially if you can get it
with the sport suspension. After all, once the cars gets kind of old,
you can convert it to "bio-diesel" and drive around smelling like
french fries (or are we still calling it "FREEDOM FRIES.")

Old August 29th 06, 10:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

Old August 29th 06, 10:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Nick

"bfd" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> John Carrier wrote:
>> E39 530d is well-regarded. Only significant weakness might be the
>> plastic/aluminum radiator which can develop cracks in high-miles cars.
>>
>> Not sure if diesel can be optioned with sport suspension, but it makes an
>> already fine-handling machine even better. There are no "stay away
>> from"
>> options for the car., but the navigation system is notably inferior to
>> that
>> offered on Japanese luxury cars of the same era.
>>

> You guys are lucky to get BMW diesels. If BMW ever offers it here in
> the US, I wouldn't hestitate to get one, especially if you can get it
> with the sport suspension. After all, once the cars gets kind of old,
> you can convert it to "bio-diesel" and drive around smelling like
> french fries (or are we still calling it "FREEDOM FRIES.")

Can't you import them ?

Nick

Old August 29th 06, 11:05 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

Nick wrote:
> "bfd" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > John Carrier wrote:
> >> E39 530d is well-regarded. Only significant weakness might be the
> >> plastic/aluminum radiator which can develop cracks in high-miles cars.
> >>
> >> Not sure if diesel can be optioned with sport suspension, but it makes an
> >> already fine-handling machine even better. There are no "stay away
> >> from"
> >> options for the car., but the navigation system is notably inferior to
> >> that
> >> offered on Japanese luxury cars of the same era.
> >>

> > You guys are lucky to get BMW diesels. If BMW ever offers it here in
> > the US, I wouldn't hestitate to get one, especially if you can get it
> > with the sport suspension. After all, once the cars gets kind of old,
> > you can convert it to "bio-diesel" and drive around smelling like
> > french fries (or are we still calling it "FREEDOM FRIES.")
> >

> Can't you import them ?

Not that I'm aware of. We have very strict emission laws, especially
here in California. BMW would need to certify that a diesel engine
meets all EPA/California emission requirement. BMW hasn't sold a diesel
in the US since the E28 524td way back in 1986 or 87.

However, its my understanding that in either 2007 or 08, the US will be
going to something called ultra clean diesel fuel and BMW is suppose to
bring in the highly praised 535d.

One other thing, I would try to stay away from idrive and BMW
navigation as soon as possible. In the US, only the E90 3 Series allows
this option. I bet most people end up not getting either.

Old August 29th 06, 11:14 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Nick

> Not that I'm aware of. We have very strict emission laws, especially
> here in California. BMW would need to certify that a diesel engine
> meets all EPA/California emission requirement. BMW hasn't sold a diesel
> in the US since the E28 524td way back in 1986 or 87.
>
> However, its my understanding that in either 2007 or 08, the US will be
> going to something called ultra clean diesel fuel and BMW is suppose to
> bring in the highly praised 535d.
>
> One other thing, I would try to stay away from idrive and BMW
> navigation as soon as possible. In the US, only the E90 3 Series allows
> this option. I bet most people end up not getting either.

OK - I thought the euro ones had to meet pretty tight laws nowadays as well
though -
but praps yours are tighter - however some of us Europeans have the
?misguided? opinion that
the US seems to care less about emissions / fuel economy than the Europeans
in their general
lifestyle

Nick

Old August 29th 06, 11:36 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

Nick wrote:

> > Not that I'm aware of. We have very strict emission laws, especially
> > here in California. BMW would need to certify that a diesel engine
> > meets all EPA/California emission requirement. BMW hasn't sold a diesel
> > in the US since the E28 524td way back in 1986 or 87.
> >
> > However, its my understanding that in either 2007 or 08, the US will be
> > going to something called ultra clean diesel fuel and BMW is suppose to
> > bring in the highly praised 535d.
> >
> > One other thing, I would try to stay away from idrive and BMW
> > navigation as soon as possible. In the US, only the E90 3 Series allows
> > this option. I bet most people end up not getting either.
> >

> OK - I thought the euro ones had to meet pretty tight laws nowadays as well
> though -
> but praps yours are tighter - however some of us Europeans have the
> ?misguided? opinion that
> the US seems to care less about emissions / fuel economy than the Europeans
> in their general
> lifestyle

I think the problem is the disparity in the price of gas. In Europe,
its my understanding that gasoline cost like $5-7 per gallon. In the
US, people scream when it hits $3 per gallon or so. The difference in
price appears to be taxes. You Europeans allow yourself to be taxed in
this manner.

Further, California is stricter than any other state AND the federal
government on emissions. For example, we were the first to require
catalytic converters. Of course, we also have the most drivers.

For most Americans, when we think of diesel, there is this image of
big, stinky diesel trucks/engines with tons of black smoke. With the
new ultra clean diesel coming soon, that should change. Currently, the
only diesel cars I can think of that are available in the US market are
made by VW and Mercedes. Hopefully, this change in 2007 or 08. I'm
looking forward to a 535d as possibly my next car.

Old August 29th 06, 11:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"Nick" > wrote
>> Not that I'm aware of. We have very strict emission laws, especially
>> here in California. BMW would need to certify that a diesel engine
>> meets all EPA/California emission requirement. BMW hasn't sold a diesel
>> in the US since the E28 524td way back in 1986 or 87.
>>

> OK - I thought the euro ones had to meet pretty tight laws nowadays as
> well though -
> but praps yours are tighter - however some of us Europeans have the
> ?misguided? opinion that
> the US seems to care less about emissions / fuel economy than the
> Europeans in their general
> lifestyle

You guys in EU live in your own world. The fact of the matter is that the
US has had stricter emissions requirements than EU for around 30 years,
and our emissions laws have basically led the EU by 10 years during that
period (exclusive of CO2.)

The emissions situation in the US is complicated *currently* by the
fact that we haven't switched to low-sulfur diesel; that comes in next
year and will allow PM/soot reduction to EU levels. However, NOx
requirements that phase in next year are more stringent than EU standards:
diesel autos have to meet the same NOx levels that gasoline autos meet.

FloydR

There are automotitve experts here who could help you -- PLEASE STATE MAKE, YEAR & MODEL OF VEHICLE! Don Technology 12 June 17th 06 05:17 AM
HONDA VEHICLES WIN CAR, TRUCK OF THE YEAR (09-January-2006) Scott Honda 1 January 14th 06 01:50 PM
Don't buy Dodge justme Dodge 10 July 13th 05 06:40 AM
320d - year 2000 model Tim BMW 1 January 20th 05 06:14 PM
new 2005 model 3 series touring Dell Thornley BMW 0 October 10th 04 11:07 AM