rFactor or Nascar racing season 2003

Old April 21st 07, 11:06 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Grandpa-RPM-Maniac

Default rFactor or Nascar racing season 2003

Hi guys,My name is Clint.And I'am a disabled PC-gamer who's tired of the
first person shooter games now.As of May 1st;I plan to buy a wheel and a
racing sim game.The shooter games are okay for my grandson's.I need
something better to do now.

I'll be buying one of these wheels:
1.)Logitech Driving Force Pro
or
2.)Logitech Black MOMO

Hit me up if you're a sim driver with some experiance and don't mind
helping me get started.I live in Kentucky.

email:

And are there any other Nascar sim games that are still played
online?Are there any american racing leagues for GTR2?

--
Grandpa-RPM-Maniac
Grandpa-RPM-Maniac's Profile:

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old April 23rd 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
tlgtr

I have the Black MOMO and have had pretty good luck with it...good
wheel for the price...unless you go high in price they all have there
good and bad points.

If you want NA$CAR try the Papy NR 2003 if you are willing to spend
the money on Ebay...you can still get new paint jobs and there is a
Truck mod still out there and tracks are still coming out and getting
updated. It ain't cheap but it is still the best. The reports I
heard on the EA NA$CAR games were not complimetary.

GTR2 is a very good purchase (got mine at Best buy for $20) with lots
of add-on's available. I am already into the 2nd CD of backed up add-
on's. (Be sure to get the 24 hour version of the Nordschliefe!) It is
not the easiest to learn to drive...but you can start out with low
settings and driving aids and have a good time.... An alternative
for Sportscars is EA's F1 Challenge and some of it's mods (SCC for
example)...but again it is not cheap to find a copy...

The newest out there is rFactor, just got it myself so I can't really
tell you much yet. I think it has a NA$CAR mod...but the reviews I
saw weren't real great. The game is very moddable so there is lots of
stuff out and coming out. I am waiting for the ALMS mod myself....

There are LOTS of websites out there for all of the above games...you
may want to visit a few to get an idea of what is out there. You have
to be careful though...in the last 5 years I have put over 90,000
miles on my computer...10,000 at Le Mans alone....hope this
helps...welcome to the family.....

Old April 23rd 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

THe only problem with rFactor really is, if your not "IN" with a group
racing like a league, which you wont be right off that is for sure, getting
everything ironed out as far as which of the 3 nascar MODS is worth getting,
what tracks will be up with even a modest population and also ANYONE can
join such server... plus setting up your wheel so that you can stand to
drive (mostly Logitech defaults just suck toilet water for anything past
"need for speed" (arcade crap)for peolple with more than passing
expectations on how a wheel should operate and interact with a SIM.) Still
you have to do some tweakage no matter what game/sim you buy. Use google to
search this particular group, for settings (momo, g25, Digital force Pro are
typically same).

if your buying a new wheel and want it to be good, dont fool yerself get the
g25 now, instead of wishing you had.

TLGR is right I think,
Nascar Racing from Papyrus <<AKA sierra games had bought them out years ago
FYI>> is still probably the Numero Uno online racing sim. It too has about
4 big mods you can "add" to the basic game, 3 from I believe were directly
or indireclty helped and or blessed Papy employees/coders (or former
employees I belive): Busch cars, Craftsman Trucks, and a Road course GT
like mod type cars (you know like corvette, Vipers, etc) then there are some
minor mods, where the physics are one of the 4basic main one (CUP, BGN,
Trucks and Trans Am). Our league used a Aero 88 mod that let us drive 1988
era bodystyle cars on BGN physics, then we moved to Cup88. the list goes
on. I have the mod that is 70's nascar cars, and there are literally 100's
of tracks/track detail mod/physic mod out there.

I personally been racing online since NR2 (not 02). NR3 was next then nr4,
nr02, last was nr03. the earlier versions of the game are arcadic, in
comparison. GPL came out before NR4, and was the huge leap in physics, then
the NR4 adoped lots of that.

Now, I have to admit that I really am loving rFactor, I didnt right off
until I invested some time to play with settings for steering wheels. so
IMHO rFactor is best for "how" racing physics should be carried out, mainly
the "enough physics details being used" to be challenging yet ignoring some
"physics" or aspects of such things, for the sake of fun, only somewhat
though. But, we used to be able to host 43 car fields in NR03 servers on
modest internet connections (above basic DSL) now with 5 gig down 1.5 up
DSL 16 drivers is pushing the connections limits, at my long time league, we
feel it is, yet we have NOT tweaked the packet size either from server and
clients yet either, but our fields have been pretty damn near warp free too.
So most hosts are renting servers. thus you are seeing locked or passworded
servers because if Im gonna pay 50-75 bucks a month, I danm well am going to
control what and who gets on the server, I feel many others feel this way
also but there are more out there free all the time.

I have an earlier reply to a post, just about the 3 nascar mods, use google
and find that one. there is everything (great to Ahem goofy) out already in
some form (racing porta potties to Formula 1 race cars) for rFactor. plus
good race tracks, by the gigabyte... there are quite a few online, but they
are spread out over many different mods, which can be and is the achillies
heal for anyting since NR03... that and the fact that just a basic race
game was packaged on rFactor CD/DVD's.

GTR2 is gaining steam too I hear, Im actually hoping to get a copy, soon.
GT cars, and possibly some mods forthcoming, plus rain/weather and stuff,
could really be fun!

tlgtr enlightened us with:

Old April 23rd 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Well, the problem with NR2003 is the only way you can get it is on eBay, and
the prices for it are as high as $150.00. You'll have to check for current
pricing.

Personally, I prefer GTR2 over rFactor. I don't have the time to contend
with the mess that rFactor has become.

-Larry

"Grandpa-RPM-Maniac" > wrote in
message ...

Old April 24th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Grandpa-RPM-Maniac[_2_]

*I'am give GTR2 ,GT Legends, & Grand Prix Legends a try.I can't afford
the G25.So,right now the MOMO or Driving Force Pro are my
alternatives.*

*Are the GTR2 Leagues plentyful?*

Old April 24th 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

Try looking at http://www.race2play.com. They have regularly
scheduled races for several different sims including GTR2. I like the
organized approach to sim racing. You know when and where a race will
be, and can practice for it. I haven't done a pick-up race in months
since joining Race2Play.

Pat Dotson
UltraForce Simulators
http://www.ultraforcesim.com