Which Engine Coolant for 1999 Chrysler T&C ?

Old January 2nd 05, 08:34 PM
IPavlov

Default Which Engine Coolant for 1999 Chrysler T&C ?

Hi,

I need to add some engine coolant to 1999 T&C - the level
is below minimum mark.
Chrysler recommends ethylene-glycol based coolant, but they
also warn not to mix brands since various other additives,
anti-corrosion etc. might not mix well.
The problem is I don't know which brand they originally
put there.

Should I just ask the dealer and buy coolant from them?
Or maybe somebody on this NG knows what engine coolant
is used with Chrysler T&C Limited, 3.8L engine?

I apologize if it is a newbie question - I am newbie as
far as car maintenance is concerned.

IP.

Old January 2nd 05, 09:18 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, IPavlov wrote:

> I need to add some engine coolant to 1999 T&C - the level
> is below minimum mark.
> Chrysler recommends ethylene-glycol based coolant, but they
> also warn not to mix brands since various other additives,
> anti-corrosion etc. might not mix well.
> The problem is I don't know which brand they originally
> put there.

You need G-O5 type coolant. You can either buy it from the dealer or from
the parts store. Make sure the bottle says "G-O5" on it.

DS
Old January 2nd 05, 09:18 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old January 3rd 05, 02:08 AM
IPavlov

Thank you.
IP

Old January 3rd 05, 02:08 AM
IPavlov

Old January 3rd 05, 11:51 AM
jdoe

It uses STANDARD AF. Plain old ethylene glycol. You could use Prestone's
"big yellow" but otherwise nothing special
Larry
news

Old January 3rd 05, 11:51 AM
jdoe

It uses STANDARD AF. Plain old ethylene glycol. You could use Prestone's
"big yellow" but otherwise nothing special
Larry
news

Old January 4th 05, 07:24 AM
IPavlov

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 11:51:25 +0000, jdoe wrote:

> It uses STANDARD AF. Plain old ethylene glycol. You could use Prestone's
> "big yellow" but otherwise nothing special Larry

I agree that it would be fine to add if the level is too low. Should it be
50% ethylene glycol solution?
But when cooling system is filled or coolant is replaced, do they use
ethylene glycol with anti-corrosion additives?

Thanks for your help.
IP.

Old January 4th 05, 07:24 AM
IPavlov

Old January 4th 05, 06:27 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, IPavlov wrote:

> I agree that it would be fine to add if the level is too low. Should it
> be 50% ethylene glycol solution? But when cooling system is filled or
> coolant is replaced, do they use ethylene glycol with anti-corrosion
> additives?

You're missing the point. All coolants can accurately be described as
"ethylene glycol with anticorrosion additives" (except for the "low
toxicity" types, which are propylene glycol with anticorrosion additives).
The difference among all the different kinds of coolant is the type of
anticorrosion chemistry. Some of these different chemistries are
compatible with one another -- some are not.

DS