Tire Rack Suggestions

Old August 22nd 05, 03:30 PM
Gary

Default Tire Rack Suggestions

For a Miata M1 185/60-14 stock alloy wheel.

Bridgestone Potenza RE950
Yokohama AVS ES100
Sumitomo HTR 200
Yokohama Avid H4S

I currently have the Bridgestone predecessor to the Bridgestone Potenza
RE950 and love them. I would instantly try these but want some feedback
before getting them.

Old August 22nd 05, 03:48 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article <tklOe.2276$Ck2.1698@trndny04>,
"Gary" > wrote:

> For a Miata M1 185/60-14 stock alloy wheel.
>
> Bridgestone Potenza RE950
> Yokohama AVS ES100
> Sumitomo HTR 200
> Yokohama Avid H4S

The RE950 is probably the best-performing tire that retains some light
snow capability. The ES100 is stickier, but isn't an all-season. The
Avid is a good cheap all-season for sedans, but will rob a Miata of its
performance potential. I don't know anything about the HTR 200.

BTW, don't disqualify tires that are only available in 195/55-14 instead
of 185/60-14.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old August 23rd 05, 01:27 AM
Ken Lyons

"Gary" > wrote
> I currently have the Bridgestone predecessor to the Bridgestone Potenza
> RE950 and love them. I would instantly try these but want some feedback
> before getting them.

We put RE950s on our '90.....let's see [shuffle, shuffle...] 31,000 miles
and over 3-1/2 years ago. They handle pretty good in a all-season tire sort
of way and with as much tread as we've still got left, I'd have to say they
have great wear characteristics. I'd buy them again for this commuter Miata.
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway

Old August 23rd 05, 06:53 PM
Gary

Very good!

Old August 24th 05, 03:47 AM
Frank Berger

"Gary" > wrote in message
> Very good!
>
> "Ken Lyons" > wrote in message
>> "Gary" > wrote
>> > I currently have the Bridgestone predecessor to the Bridgestone Potenza
>> > RE950 and love them. I would instantly try these but want some feedback
>> > before getting them.

>> We put RE950s on our '90.....let's see [shuffle, shuffle...] 31,000 miles
>> and over 3-1/2 years ago. They handle pretty good in a all-season tire

> sort
>> of way and with as much tread as we've still got left, I'd have to say

> they
>> have great wear characteristics. I'd buy them again for this commuter

> Miata.
>> --
>> Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
>> Inside the Beltway
>> [Remove the first two digits to reply]

I had all-seasons on my '96 for the first 8 years, then switched to Toyo
T1-S's. I could kick myself for not doing it sooner.

Old August 24th 05, 11:11 AM
Murf

Old August 24th 05, 11:17 AM
Murf

I have the Yoko ES100's with about 10000 miles on them. The are sticky
and handle great but have become very noisy of late. I would not buy
them again for that reason. They are wearing evenly with Lanny's
alignment specs but the road noise is driving me crazy.