71 super beetle brake problem

Old June 18th 05, 11:34 PM
Jim Adney

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 04:30:50 -0000
lid (xeon19) wrote:

>I have changed everything on this car. Master cylinder, metal lines,
>rubber hoses, wheel cylinders and still have the same problem that I
>started with the pedal goes to the floor if I pump quikly they will
>get tight I can even move back alittle on the pedal and push forward
>and it will hold but when I let it go and push again there is
>nothing.I have bleed several bottles of fluid through the system.
>what am I doing wrong? anyway I am ready to light fire to this thing.

The first thing that would help here would be a little punctuation.
The run-on sentence above can be parsed several different ways and we
can come up with several different meanings. That said, given my guess
at the most probable meaning:

I think some of your shoe adjustments are still too loose, maybe all
of them. I don't think bleeding has anything to do with this.

-
Jim Adney

Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old June 19th 05, 02:21 AM

The shimmy is probably the steering dampner. Looks like a slender long
shock absorber and it's attached in the front linkage, you can't miss
it. I haven't had any trouble out of one lately but I had a '74 Thing
once that ate them for lunch. Went through half a dozen before I got
one to stay on the car long. They aren't very expensive.

That could be related to your other steering problems but I doubt it.
Get out your grease gun and lube everything up good then drive it again
before you start swaping parts. Then start a new thread here if needed
about the steering.

I finally got to help somebody! The rest of the guys here have helped
me so much, nice to give a little back.

<><
TC

Old June 25th 05, 01:30 AM
xeon19

well after playing around with your suggestions I managed to get a
somewhat stiff pedal. About how much play should I have in the
pedal?

thanks

Old June 28th 05, 02:13 AM
Jim Adney

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 12:40:23 GMT "PHILLIP COYLE"
> wrote:

>I just could not help this but coming in on this late and reading this you
>would think that you were talking about sex. :') ;')

I don't think I'm ever going to be able to look at the satisfaction of
a good brake job the same way again.... ;-)

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA