vr6 engine conversion

Old June 29th 05, 02:40 AM
REMUS

Default vr6 engine conversion

Could anyone tell me what is involved in the engine exchange?

Into a 1985 mk2 Golf 8v GTi

I haven't had chance to google around yet for a guide. But I will spend more
time on it tomorrow, since i've only just been offered the engine.

I'm dreaming a bit since i'm still 19, but I figure even if the insurance is
£2.5k I can just transfer the policies in-between cars, spending a month
driving the GTi every now and again using the 205 diesel in-between.

Old June 29th 05, 06:46 PM
SteveH

REMUS > wrote:

> Could anyone tell me what is involved in the engine exchange?
>
> Into a 1985 mk2 Golf 8v GTi
>
> I haven't had chance to google around yet for a guide. But I will spend more
> time on it tomorrow, since i've only just been offered the engine.
>
> I'm dreaming a bit since i'm still 19, but I figure even if the insurance is
> £2.5k I can just transfer the policies in-between cars, spending a month
> driving the GTi every now and again using the 205 diesel in-between.

*shakes head*

You'll get stung for an admin charge each time you do that, and the
insurers will get a bit ****ed off with you.

Besides, it's a stupid conversion to do, the VR6 weighs more than a
supertanker's anchor and totally ruins the MkIIs handing and balance.

If you really want a quick MkII you need a G60 engine from a scrapped
Corrado.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Passat 1.8 Turbo SE - COSOC KOTL
Old June 29th 05, 07:17 PM
REMUS

>> Could anyone tell me what is involved in the engine exchange?
>>
>> Into a 1985 mk2 Golf 8v GTi
>>
>> I haven't had chance to google around yet for a guide. But I will spend
>> more
>> time on it tomorrow, since i've only just been offered the engine.
>>
>> I'm dreaming a bit since i'm still 19, but I figure even if the insurance
>> is
>> £2.5k I can just transfer the policies in-between cars, spending a month
>> driving the GTi every now and again using the 205 diesel in-between.

> *shakes head*
>
> You'll get stung for an admin charge each time you do that, and the
> insurers will get a bit ****ed off with you.
>
> Besides, it's a stupid conversion to do, the VR6 weighs more than a
> supertanker's anchor and totally ruins the MkIIs handing and balance.
>
> If you really want a quick MkII you need a G60 engine from a scrapped
> Corrado.

Have you ever driven a mk2 vr6 conversion steve? I will check out what the
general consensus is of people that have done the conversion.

Old June 29th 05, 07:22 PM
SteveH

REMUS > wrote:

> >> I'm dreaming a bit since i'm still 19, but I figure even if the insurance
> >> is
> >> £2.5k I can just transfer the policies in-between cars, spending a month
> >> driving the GTi every now and again using the 205 diesel in-between.

> > *shakes head*
> >
> > You'll get stung for an admin charge each time you do that, and the
> > insurers will get a bit ****ed off with you.
> >
> > Besides, it's a stupid conversion to do, the VR6 weighs more than a
> > supertanker's anchor and totally ruins the MkIIs handing and balance.
> >
> > If you really want a quick MkII you need a G60 engine from a scrapped
> > Corrado.

> Have you ever driven a mk2 vr6 conversion steve? I will check out what the
> general consensus is of people that have done the conversion.

Check out the weight of a VR6 compared to that of the 4-pot.

Why do you think 1.8T conversions are so popular?

You don't have to be a genius to work out that a heavy lump of iron over
the front wheels doesn't do anything for the handling.

Great in a straight line, ****e in the twisties.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Passat 1.8 Turbo SE - COSOC KOTL
Old June 29th 05, 07:47 PM
REMUS

>> > *shakes head*
>> >
>> > You'll get stung for an admin charge each time you do that, and the
>> > insurers will get a bit ****ed off with you.
>> >
>> > Besides, it's a stupid conversion to do, the VR6 weighs more than a
>> > supertanker's anchor and totally ruins the MkIIs handing and balance.
>> >
>> > If you really want a quick MkII you need a G60 engine from a scrapped
>> > Corrado.

>> Have you ever driven a mk2 vr6 conversion steve? I will check out what
>> the
>> general consensus is of people that have done the conversion.

> Check out the weight of a VR6 compared to that of the 4-pot.
>
> Why do you think 1.8T conversions are so popular?
>
> You don't have to be a genius to work out that a heavy lump of iron over
> the front wheels doesn't do anything for the handling.
>
> Great in a straight line, ****e in the twisties.

Do you know of a list of potential engine conversions that don't require
alot of extensive metal work?

Old June 29th 05, 07:49 PM
SteveH

REMUS > wrote:

> >> Have you ever driven a mk2 vr6 conversion steve? I will check out what
> >> the
> >> general consensus is of people that have done the conversion.

> > Check out the weight of a VR6 compared to that of the 4-pot.
> >
> > Why do you think 1.8T conversions are so popular?
> >
> > You don't have to be a genius to work out that a heavy lump of iron over
> > the front wheels doesn't do anything for the handling.
> >
> > Great in a straight line, ****e in the twisties.

> Do you know of a list of potential engine conversions that don't require
> alot of extensive metal work?

1.8T, but it's a PITA to set up, needs a custom ECU ideally.
G60.
MkIII 2lt 16v GTI.

That's about it, really.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Passat 1.8 Turbo SE - COSOC KOTL
Old June 29th 05, 07:54 PM
REMUS

>> > Check out the weight of a VR6 compared to that of the 4-pot.
>> >
>> > Why do you think 1.8T conversions are so popular?
>> >
>> > You don't have to be a genius to work out that a heavy lump of iron
>> > over
>> > the front wheels doesn't do anything for the handling.
>> >
>> > Great in a straight line, ****e in the twisties.

>> Do you know of a list of potential engine conversions that don't require
>> alot of extensive metal work?

> 1.8T, but it's a PITA to set up, needs a custom ECU ideally.
> G60.
> MkIII 2lt 16v GTI.
>
> That's about it, really.

What is the advantage of a mk3 16v over a mk2 variant, just the extra 200cc
capacity? Or is it a completely different engine?

And more importantly, does it just drop in?

Old June 29th 05, 08:04 PM
SteveH

REMUS > wrote:

> >> Do you know of a list of potential engine conversions that don't require
> >> alot of extensive metal work?

> > 1.8T, but it's a PITA to set up, needs a custom ECU ideally.
> > G60.
> > MkIII 2lt 16v GTI.
> >
> > That's about it, really.

> What is the advantage of a mk3 16v over a mk2 variant, just the extra 200cc
> capacity? Or is it a completely different engine?

Not an expert, but ISTR it's the same engine, just enlarged 200cc. A bit
extra grunt, especially at the low end.

> And more importantly, does it just drop in?

Yes.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Passat 1.8 Turbo SE - COSOC KOTL
Old June 30th 05, 05:11 AM
wkearney99

> And more importantly, does it just drop in?

With modern ECU-controlled engines almost nothing ever just "drops in".
Even when you yank everything between 'the ground strap to the battery
terminals' out of the old car there's STILL something that'll end up being
pretty expensive. Intakes, airboxes, exhaust pipes and a myriad of other
brackets all end up needing something. One bit of advice, don't swap in an
unknown engine for one that's known to work. As in, if you did pickup a
donor engine rebuild it (or have it rebuilt) before you bother installing
it. No sense going through all that work only to discover somene else
ragged out the old motor long before you got it... Especially with higher
performance engines. The only time that usually works is a low mileage
fatality wreck where the kid didn't own it/live long enough to wreck the
engine. Trouble is those don't usually spare the engine (let alone the
driver)