What is ATF + 4 Trans Fluid

Old July 8th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Cougar

Default What is ATF + 4 Trans Fluid

My owners manual for a 2001 Dodge Intrepid said use ATF + 4.
I havn't seen it. Is it the same as ATF DEXTRON H ???
Old July 8th 06, 09:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Cougar wrote:

> My owners manual for a 2001 Dodge Intrepid said use ATF + 4.
> I havn't seen it. Is it the same as ATF DEXTRON H ???

There's Dexron (not "Dextron") H, the successor to Dexron III, but
according Exxon-Mobil it is NOT an acceptable substitute for Chrysler
ATF+4:

http://www.mobil.com/usa-English/Lub...il_ATF_D_M.asp

Exxon-Mobil now seems to have a fluid that is an approved substitute
for Chrysler ATF+4, called "Multi-Vehicle ATF":

http://www.mobil.com/USA-ENGLISH/Lub...ehicle_ATF.asp

However the link above doesn't specifically mention ATF+4 so I would
contact 1-800-ASK--MOBIL before putting even an ounce of Multi-Vehicle
ATF in a Chrysler 4-speed or 5-speed automatic transmision. Be sure
it's compatible with ATF+4, a synthetic, and not just ATF+3, which is
not synthetic (at least not completely synthetic). Also do not
substitute another transmission fluid or add a friction modifier, such
as Lubeguard, to common Dexron III/Dexron H since Chrysler does not
approve it, and don't listen to people who say they work perfectly
well, unless they'll put up a bond to guarantee all repairs to your
transmission. $7 a quart for the correct ATF+4 fluid isn't much of a
price premium to protect a transmisson known its higher than average
failure rate (a new fluid specification every 2-3 years means Chrysler
knows the design is bad) and to keep its warranty in effect.
Transmissions aren't as tolerant of the wrong lubricants as engines
are.

Old July 8th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Cougar wrote:

> My owners manual for a 2001 Dodge Intrepid said use ATF + 4.
> I havn't seen it. Is it the same as ATF DEXTRON H ???

1) There's no such thing as Dextron. Its Dexron.

2) ATF+4 is a friction-modified fluid required for the proper function
of the torque convertor lockup clutch. Its NOT the same as Dexron,
Mercon, Type F, or any other fluid.

3) Go to the dealer and buy it. Its pricey, but a WHOLE lot cheaper than
a rebuilt transmission.

Old July 8th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Cougar

Thanks

Old July 8th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Cougar

Thank for your info

Old July 9th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Steve" > wrote in message

> 2) ATF+4 is a friction-modified fluid required for the proper function
> of the torque convertor lockup clutch. Its NOT the same as Dexron,
> Mercon, Type F, or any other fluid.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=3675

What do you think, Steve?

Old July 9th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
. net...

> "Steve" > wrote in message
>
> > 2) ATF+4 is a friction-modified fluid required for the proper function
> > of the torque convertor lockup clutch. Its NOT the same as Dexron,
> > Mercon, Type F, or any other fluid.

> http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=3675
>
> What do you think, Steve?

Going a little further, I have to service my 1997 Van with the 727 tranny
soon.
Would the AFT+4 quality fluid be advisable??

Old July 11th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

wrote:

> "Steve" > wrote in message
>

>>2) ATF+4 is a friction-modified fluid required for the proper function
>>of the torque convertor lockup clutch. Its NOT the same as Dexron,
>>Mercon, Type F, or any other fluid.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=3675

> What do you think, Steve?

They always said that eventually the aftermarket would pick up ATF+4. I
don't know specifically about Valvoline, but it wouldn't surprise me.
What I DO know is that the additive package was developed by Texaco and
a small chemical company whose name I forget and that Chevron/Texaco
makes the fluid branded as "Mopar," so I'd expect Chevron/Texaco to be
one of the first to market with a true ATF+4 equivalent.