Most reliable SUV

Old November 27th 05, 09:57 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Most reliable SUV

"Elbert" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:05:06 +0200, "Peter" >
> wrote:
>
> >What is considered the most reliable SUV out there (AND with decent
> >handling!)? I have very good experience with Isuzu Trooper (and mediocre
> >with Dodge), and would consider another Trooper but am unsure how their
> >diesel engines perform (want turbo diesel this time)...
> >
> >Also, I hear Toyota Lancruisers are very reliable but they're one of the
> >most expensive ones...
> >
> >TIA,
> >Peter
> >

> something with the Toyota brand name...

I was looking for a used 4x4 SUV and started with the 4Runner because I was
expecting quality and reliability. After doing a google search using
"4runner problem" I learned about a lot of blown head gaskets, cracked
heads, very lousy gas mileage, and lack of power. I bought another Ford
Explorer instead. The early Explorers also had problems with blown head and
intake manifold gaskets but at least it they have some power and get better
than 11 mpg. I have 3 and I use them mainly on dirt roads. I do not do
any rock crawling or offroad racing with them. I have driven through 2 feet
of snow, 2 feet of mud, on very icy, slippery roads and have never gone off
the road or gotten stuck. So, does OP want transportation or recreation?

Old November 28th 05, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

An Exploder over a 4Runner? You have to be kidding! They're not even in the same league. Guess you need to learn how to refine
your internet searching abilities.

:
: I was looking for a used 4x4 SUV and started with the 4Runner because I was
: expecting quality and reliability. After doing a google search using
: "4runner problem" I learned about a lot of blown head gaskets, cracked
: heads, very lousy gas mileage, and lack of power. I bought another Ford
: Explorer instead. The early Explorers also had problems with blown head and
: intake manifold gaskets but at least it they have some power and get better
: than 11 mpg. I have 3 and I use them mainly on dirt roads. I do not do
: any rock crawling or offroad racing with them. I have driven through 2 feet
: of snow, 2 feet of mud, on very icy, slippery roads and have never gone off
: the road or gotten stuck. So, does OP want transportation or recreation?
:
: >
: > ---
: >
: > remove ** to email
: >
:
:

Old November 28th 05, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Karl Rove wrote:
> An Exploder over a 4Runner? You have to be kidding! They're not even in the same league. Guess you need to learn how to refine
> your internet searching abilities.
>

> :
> : I was looking for a used 4x4 SUV and started with the 4Runner because I was
> : expecting quality and reliability. After doing a google search using
> : "4runner problem" I learned about a lot of blown head gaskets, cracked
> : heads, very lousy gas mileage, and lack of power. I bought another Ford
> : Explorer instead. The early Explorers also had problems with blown head and
> : intake manifold gaskets but at least it they have some power and get better
> : than 11 mpg. I have 3 and I use them mainly on dirt roads. I do not do
> : any rock crawling or offroad racing with them. I have driven through 2 feet
> : of snow, 2 feet of mud, on very icy, slippery roads and have never gone off
> : the road or gotten stuck. So, does OP want transportation or recreation?
> :
> : >
> : > ---
> : >
> : > remove ** to email
> : >
> :
> :

Yes, the explorer is not even worthy of the being compared to it. Heck I
drove through 2 feet of snow with 4x4 Subarus in the 80's and never got
stuck either and though smaller they were a lot tuffer built than any
explorer too.

--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

Old November 28th 05, 03:43 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 13:57:56 -0800, "Ulysses"
> wrote:

.. .

************************************************** *******************************
>> something with the Toyota brand name...

Well I still say the Toyota (you pick the model) is a better choice.
Seems like quality and reliability should apply on-road as well as
off-road.

---

remove ** to email

Old November 28th 05, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Coasty,
You are only showing your own ignorance here, in the thread name and
your lack of knowledge in off roaders....
1st, the thread is named most reliable SUV. Jeep did not invent the
SUV. Sorry. (moron!!)
2nd, Saying that a Rover is a POS really shows your lack of experience
off road. I guess to guy that has never really been off road a Wrangler
is the best thing since sliced cheese (Moab shops rent em all day).
However, if you had real experience you would have already seen what
Rovers can do and how invaluable they can be.
You are a small minded shallow fool. Open your mind, look around at
what is available, attempt manuvers with those vehicles in ugly
situations and then make an assessment. Otherwise you show your own
ignorance in trying to bash what you have never been offroad in.
As to price, well, they are a bit pricey, but if you look around you
can find em for a decent price (theres a cherry 96 discovery down the
street from my house for $3500), however, I would rather pay a bit more
for the saftey they offer. Roll your wrangler or cherokee a few times,
see what happens to it, they collapse and you will die. period. Now
look at what a rover does when rollled. I've walked away from two roll
overs and went right out to buy another rover. The only other vehicle
that is as safe is the full size cruisers (80s?)
If you dont believe me take a look at my site, goldrushexpeditions.com,
go to the off road porn page and you will see the trucks we rolled.

Your random rant is the reminds me of trailer trash talking about how a
Ferrari is a POS and that a 77 T/A will out perform and out race any
Eur-o-peean POS. Stay in the Jeeps buddy, it keeps assholes like you
off the real trails.

Old November 28th 05, 05:33 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Corey Shuman wrote:

> If you dont believe me take a look at my site, goldrushexpeditions.com,
> go to the off road porn page and you will see the trucks we rolled.

http://www.goldrushexpeditions.com/off_road_porn.htm
....and the girl is really great !!!
The car is not bad either...
Kind regards,
Erik-Jan.

--
The Meeting Place for Photography http://www.fotograaf.com
Fotofestival Naarden Festival-OFF http://www.festival-off.nl
Old November 28th 05, 06:09 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

> If you dont believe me take a look at my site, goldrushexpeditions.com,
> go to the off road porn page and you will see the trucks we rolled.

Interesting. How do you find the Freelander, both for transportation &
recreation?

Peter

Old November 28th 05, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Freelander isnt too bad for what it is, it has excellect on road
handling and allows the covering of a lot of ground in a short amount
of time, it has suffered its mishaps, mostly struts which luckily have
been covered under warranty. We bought that for the "girl" who is my
wife now (hooray!!) and she loves it, its a dependable commuter that
can do okay in the snow and other crap that falls on the Utah roads.
As far as an offroader, it can take the small stuff okay, little ruts
and small rivers and creeks are no problem. I would probably work it
harder but it has the street tires on it and I fear popping them. The
bad is that it is all wheel drive and I have gotten it stuck in a few
places where real 4wd would have made all the difference. But it is
what it is, 24 mpg and it will take you on most dirt roads reliably.

Old December 1st 05, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

> The others Cherokee and such are yuppie SUVs with no real
> capability without extensive mods.

lol Oh wow. That's the silliest thing I've read today.