When is the US going to get "real" Land Rovers?

Old April 20th 04, 04:02 AM
Chris Phillipo

In article >,
/OMEGA says...
> Subject: When is the US going to get "real" Land Rovers?
> From: R. David Steele /OMEGA>
> Newsgroups: alt.fan.landrover, rec.autos.4x4, uk.rec.cars.4x4
>

> |> you've hit the nail on the head it's as big as a tank
> |> or more to the point as wide as a tank
> |> they were designed to run in tank tracks
> |
> |Oh, and stupid here though the average US soldier is now a plump 250 lbs
> |5'6" recruit .....that is why wide was better.
>
> There is a problem with folks being over weight in the US.
> However military standards are such that we reject nearly 60% of
> those who apply due to physical problems, of which weight is one
> of them. And nearly half of all applicants to the military are
> rejected due to failing the entrance exam (ASVAB).
>
> Gets even worst than that. About 25% of males are kicked out
> before they finish their first tour (10% in basic training). For
> females, it is 50% (25% in basic). Generally character issues.
>
> Thus the typical person who can make in the military is smart
> enough to have been accepted to an university (had they tried),
> is in very good physical condition and tends to be an ethical,
> self disciplined individual.

I don't know if beggars can be choosers these days. Unfortunately
enlistment is down and car bombings are up.
--
____________________
Remove "X" from email address to reply.
Old June 8th 04, 07:36 PM
David Black

That's kinda odd. I'm military, and I'm 5'9". I'm only able to weigh 170
lbs. and still be within regs. To be 250 lbs, you'd have to be QUITE a bit
taller than I am.

After the 170 lb limit, youre given a tape test to check about what percent
of your body is fat. People who lift alot of weights get this test often.

I've seen several people given either special physical training, or sent
home (depending if this is at training or if it's in a unit's PT test) for
failing the tape test, even if they did well on the physical tests.

Where did you hear this sort of thing??

Or, are you just angry and projecting?

Old June 8th 04, 07:36 PM
David Black