Engine Temperature

Old August 2nd 06, 09:45 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Penny Sykes

Default Engine Temperature

I have a 1987 C4 with a new radiator, new water pump, new hoses, new
thermostat, aux. fan in front, rebuilt motor and wanted to know what usual
temps are expected. In cool weather it will stay around 180 degrees with the
outside temps around 70 degrees. When temps are around 85 to 95 degrees
temps will be seen from 200 to 225 max. 225 is when you are sitting in
traffic with the air conditioner on. As soon as you can get some wind moving
it will go back to 205. Some say this is normal for vettes. Any info will be
appreciated. ( thermostat is a 180 )

Old August 2nd 06, 11:26 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
TroY

pretty much how my 88 runs... at 230 the small fan in the front will turn on
and cool it 10 degrees.. i've never seen mine go above 230..

troy

Old August 3rd 06, 12:24 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Billy[_1_]

you're pretty much right on the money

Old August 3rd 06, 01:49 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Redbull

Right on..Vettes are designed to run at those temps....critical point is
about 250 degrees....230 is fine...Vette is a bottom feeder so when under
way temps should drop a bit.....I live in Florida where the daily temp all
summer is about 94..no problem with the Vette...if it reaches 230 in traffic
the cooling fans kick it right down to about 225..( with the air always
on ).

Old August 3rd 06, 05:01 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
JL

"Penny Sykes" > wrote in message
>I have a 1987 C4 with a new radiator, new water pump, new hoses, new
>thermostat, aux. fan in front, rebuilt motor and wanted to know what usual
>temps are expected. In cool weather it will stay around 180 degrees with
>the outside temps around 70 degrees. When temps are around 85 to 95 degrees
>temps will be seen from 200 to 225 max. 225 is when you are sitting in
>traffic with the air conditioner on. As soon as you can get some wind
>moving it will go back to 205. Some say this is normal for vettes. Any info
>will be appreciated. ( thermostat is a 180 )

I would like to also ask is this also the case with the2001 C-5 I just
recently bought and have some what the same situation just wondering.

Thanks,
JL

Old August 3rd 06, 06:50 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Redbull

YES this is normal for Vettes..!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 3rd 06, 07:47 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
JL

"Redbull" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> YES this is normal for Vettes..!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Old August 6th 06, 11:45 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Vern

JL wrote:
> "Redbull" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> > YES this is normal for Vettes..!!!!!!!!!!!!

> Thanks

I agree with ya'll. When I first got my 92 C4 coupe 2 years ago...I
thought it ran hot....but had it checked out and yes...without the a/c
on the fans kick in at 230 deg.

With the a/c on the temps stay around 195 - 205 as the fans nearly run
all the time.

I had the water pump replaced at a Chevy dealer ($550, but all parts
and labor guaranteed for life at Dominion Chevy, Richmond Va) and now
it runs about 192 deg when moving)

~ Vern