What RTV sticks to best to rubber?

Old April 6th 11, 07:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Matt[_15_]

Default What RTV sticks to best to rubber?

What kind of RTV can I get at the parts store that would stick well to
ordinary rubber hose, say 1/4" OD vacuum hose, that you can buy at the
parts store?

Thanks.
Old April 6th 11, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Matt" > wrote in message
> What kind of RTV can I get at the parts store that would stick well to
> ordinary rubber hose, say 1/4" OD vacuum hose, that you can buy at the
> parts store?
>
> Thanks.

I cant give you a simple answer. There are several kinds of "rubber"
you might find at a FLAPS. And several kinds of RTV. Add to that,
the environment ( air, water, coolant, oil, gasoline, diesel, brake fluid)
that you expect this to work in might have a big role in the results you
get.

Old April 6th 11, 08:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Apr 6, 2:16*am, Matt > wrote:
> What kind of RTV can I get at the parts store that would stick well to
> ordinary rubber hose, say 1/4" OD vacuum hose, that you can buy at the
> parts store?
>
> Thanks.

what exactly are you trying to seal??
Old April 7th 11, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Matt[_15_]

On 04/06/2011 12:23 PM, hls wrote:

> "Matt" > wrote in message
>> What kind of RTV can I get at the parts store that would stick well to
>> ordinary rubber hose, say 1/4" OD vacuum hose, that you can buy at the
>> parts store?
>>
>> Thanks.

> I cant give you a simple answer. There are several kinds of "rubber"
> you might find at a FLAPS. And several kinds of RTV. Add to that,
> the environment ( air, water, coolant, oil, gasoline, diesel, brake fluid)
> that you expect this to work in might have a big role in the results you
> get.

Oh, sorry. It has to be good under air and plain water.

I mean I can buy any combination of hose and RTV if I know what to buy.
Old April 7th 11, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Matt" > wrote in message >
> I mean I can buy any combination of hose and RTV if I know what to buy.

I dont have a lot of experience with this, but I have rebuilt a problematic
engine with RTV Blue and it worked at all temperatures for me, and
under all circumstances. There may be better now.

In any case, when you put this "sandwich" together, let the RTV
cure for a reasonable time...such as 24 hours.. Dont believe anyone
who tells you just to let it "skim" over and then assemble it and go.

I dont give a puke what the instructions say, let the RTV cure
extensively. What do you have to lose?
Old April 9th 11, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Apr 6, 10:11*pm, "hls" > wrote:
> "Matt" > wrote in message >
> > I mean I can buy any combination of hose and RTV if I know what to buy.

> I dont have a lot of experience with this, but I have rebuilt a problematic
> engine with RTV Blue and it worked at all temperatures for me, and
> under all circumstances. *There may be better now.
>
> In any case, when you put this "sandwich" together, let the RTV
> cure for a reasonable time...such as 24 hours.. Dont believe anyone
> who tells you just to let it "skim" over and then assemble it and go.
>
> I dont give a puke what the instructions say, let the RTV cure
> extensively. *What do you have to lose?

Rtv blue is alcohol based. It's sensor safe. I woul go with acetic
type for strongest hold, or plumbers goop, which takes longer to set.
Old April 9th 11, 04:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"g" > wrote in message news:e86f1664-d7cc-47b0-
Rtv blue is alcohol based. It's sensor safe. I woul go with acetic
type for strongest hold, or plumbers goop, which takes longer to set.

******
I have no idea what he is trying to do. Sometimes experience is the
most certain teacher, in which case he will have to use the principle
of eclectic empiricism.

Old April 11th 11, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Matt[_15_]

On 04/08/2011 10:03 PM, hls wrote:

> "g" > wrote in message news:e86f1664-d7cc-47b0-
> Rtv blue is alcohol based. It's sensor safe. I woul go with acetic
> type for strongest hold, or plumbers goop, which takes longer to set.
>
> ******
> I have no idea

how to do

> what he is trying to do. Sometimes experience is the
> most certain teacher, in which case he will have to use the principle
> of eclectic empiricism.

RTV gasket or Rubber gasket? Denny B Technology 3 June 26th 08 08:01 PM
RTV billy ray Jeep 10 September 23rd 06 05:51 PM
RTV Sealant Eric VW air cooled 16 July 7th 05 05:25 AM
Augmenting Gasket Integrity with RTV Sealant jdoe Chrysler 0 April 6th 05 12:53 PM
Removing RTV from Paint Mike Romain Jeep 87 December 6th 04 05:54 PM