New Mustang owner has question

Old July 22nd 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

Default New Mustang owner has question

This being my first Mustang and first Ford for that matter, let me
address a simple issue for starters like tire pressure.
The door numbers probably don't mean much since the car has been
modified. It is a '71 Grande with a 351C, Top Loader tran and Mach1
drive train at 2.65 limited slip.
The tires are P235/60 R14, what tire pressure would you recommend?
From what I can read off the door sticker, how does 28 F/R sound?

Thanks

mike
Happy Mustang owner!

Old July 22nd 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Blue Mesteno[_1_]

"goodnigh" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> This being my first Mustang and first Ford for that matter, let me
> address a simple issue for starters like tire pressure.
> The door numbers probably don't mean much since the car has been
> modified. It is a '71 Grande with a 351C, Top Loader tran and Mach1
> drive train at 2.65 limited slip.
> The tires are P235/60 R14, what tire pressure would you recommend?
> From what I can read off the door sticker, how does 28 F/R sound?

Forget the door info. The tire itself will tell you the max pressure. I
would run them 2-3 pounds under the max. For those tires it would probably
be in the 32lb range.
--
Scott W.
'68 Ranchero 500 302

Old July 22nd 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

"Blue Mesteno" > wrote in message
. ..

> "goodnigh" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>> This being my first Mustang and first Ford for that matter, let me
>> address a simple issue for starters like tire pressure.
>> The door numbers probably don't mean much since the car has been
>> modified. It is a '71 Grande with a 351C, Top Loader tran and Mach1
>> drive train at 2.65 limited slip.
>> The tires are P235/60 R14, what tire pressure would you recommend?
>> From what I can read off the door sticker, how does 28 F/R sound?

> Forget the door info. The tire itself will tell you the max pressure. I
> would run them 2-3 pounds under the max. For those tires it would probably
> be in the 32lb range.
> --
> Scott W.
> '68 Ranchero 500 302
> '69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W
> ThunderSnake #57
> http://home.comcast.net/~vanguard92/

The front tires were installed today and the installer set them to 38 psi.
Thought it handled a little weird. Will leave the rear at 28 since they
only have
six months left one them.

Thanks

mike

Old July 22nd 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Blue Mesteno[_1_]

"goodnigh" > wrote
> The front tires were installed today and the installer set them to 38 psi.
> Thought it handled a little weird. Will leave the rear at 28 since they
> only have
> six months left one them.

I wouldn't trust half the tire monkeys that install those things, kinda like
the oil boys at the local oil change shops. check the sidewall max pressure
reading and make sure that the tires are UNDER that level. As the tire heats
up during driving the pressure goes up and if the tire monkey set it too
high, you can have a blowout.

In regards to the rear tires, if you have them too low, you'll wear them out
even faster. Just put them a few pounds under the max and leave them alone.

Make sure you check the pressures regularly (weekly for me) and on really
hot days since the pressures change (sometimes drastically) with
temperature.

Old July 22nd 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Leon Hulstroem

>Will leave the rear at 28 since they only have six months left one them.

28psi sounds fine on all 4 , i pump mine BFG 215/60-15 front and 295/60-15
rear 28psi for daily use.
And a lot less on the rear on track day ;-)

38 psi in front is too much, you will get center wear and wierd slipery
under steering

Best...

Leon

Old July 23rd 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

"Leon Hulstroem" > wrote in message
> >Will leave the rear at 28 since they only have six months left one them.

> 28psi sounds fine on all 4 , i pump mine BFG 215/60-15 front and 295/60-15
> rear 28psi for daily use.
> And a lot less on the rear on track day ;-)

Will drop the front to 28 psi.
Thanks.

> 38 psi in front is too much, you will get center wear and wierd slipery
> under steering.

It was like driving on Teflon.

mike

Old July 23rd 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Blue Mesteno[_1_]

"goodnigh" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Leon Hulstroem" > wrote in message
>> >Will leave the rear at 28 since they only have six months left one them.

>> 28psi sounds fine on all 4 , i pump mine BFG 215/60-15 front and
>> 295/60-15 rear 28psi for daily use.
>> And a lot less on the rear on track day ;-)

> Will drop the front to 28 psi.
> Thanks.
>
>> 38 psi in front is too much, you will get center wear and wierd slipery
>> under steering.

> It was like driving on Teflon.

I think you're still forgetting what the tire manufacturer suggests. Aside
from all other suggestions or opinions expressed here, the highest opinion
should be those of the people that actually produced the tires themselves.

Old July 23rd 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"Blue Mesteno" > wrote in message
. ..

> "goodnigh" > wrote in message
> nk.net...

>>> 28psi sounds fine on all 4 , i pump mine BFG 215/60-15 front and
>>> 295/60-15 rear 28psi for daily use.
>>> And a lot less on the rear on track day ;-)

>> Will drop the front to 28 psi.
>> Thanks.
>>
>>> 38 psi in front is too much, you will get center wear and wierd slipery
>>> under steering.

>> It was like driving on Teflon.

> I think you're still forgetting what the tire manufacturer suggests. Aside
> from all other suggestions or opinions expressed here, the highest opinion
> should be those of the people that actually produced the tires themselves.
> --
> Scott W.
> '68 Ranchero 500 302
> '69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W
> ThunderSnake #57
> http://home.comcast.net/~vanguard92/

Absolutely agree. And weren't we still running bias ply tires in '71? Forget
that door tag!

One other thing - whenever I have new tires mounted, I always have my trusty
tire guage with me. Ever since one shop left, oh, close to 100psi in one of
the tires. (Thought it felt a little "squirrelly" as I was driving home...)

dwight
www.tfrog93.com

Old July 23rd 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

>>> 38 psi in front is too much, you will get center wear and wierd slipery
>>> under steering.

>> It was like driving on Teflon.

> I think you're still forgetting what the tire manufacturer suggests. Aside
> from all other suggestions or opinions expressed here, the highest opinion
> should be those of the people that actually produced the tires themselves.
> --
> Scott W.
> '68 Ranchero 500 302
> '69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W
> ThunderSnake #57
> http://home.comcast.net/~vanguard92/

I have communicated with tire manufacturers via email in the past regarding
similar issues.
They all say to follow the car manufacturers recommendations, ie. 'door
sticker'.
The tire manufacturers have all said the car manufacturer spends a lot of
time and money
to determine what tire pressure properly fits their steering geometry. What
the car maker had in mind
for best performance. I just don't know what F75 or E60 means any more when
it comes to tire size
so the door sticker is useless.
The other problem is the car's body, with door sticker, is the only original
part!
In lieu of proper sticker advice I will default to tire manufacturer's
recommendations.
Three psi below max rated pressure or something like that.

mike

Old July 23rd 06, 07:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL

goodnigh wrote:

>>>It was like driving on Teflon.

>>I think you're still forgetting what the tire manufacturer suggests. Aside
>>from all other suggestions or opinions expressed here, the highest opinion
>>should be those of the people that actually produced the tires themselves.
>>--
>>Scott W.
>>'68 Ranchero 500 302
>>'69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W
>>ThunderSnake #57
>>http://home.comcast.net/~vanguard92/

> I have communicated with tire manufacturers via email in the past regarding
> similar issues.
> They all say to follow the car manufacturers recommendations, ie. 'door
> sticker'.
> The tire manufacturers have all said the car manufacturer spends a lot of
> time and money
> to determine what tire pressure properly fits their steering geometry. What
> the car maker had in mind
> for best performance. I just don't know what F75 or E60 means any more when
> it comes to tire size
> so the door sticker is useless.
> The other problem is the car's body, with door sticker, is the only original
> part!
> In lieu of proper sticker advice I will default to tire manufacturer's
> recommendations.
> Three psi below max rated pressure or something like that.
>
> mike

Seems I heard this some place, the tire co. number is for best tire
wear, and the door sticker is the car co. suggested pressure for the
best ride quality.

--
Tropic Green Y2K Mustang GT
W/bits & pieces