ignition problem - Honda Accord 94

Old July 16th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default ignition problem - Honda Accord 94

Hi,

recently I have encountered the following problem
on my Honda Accord '94.

|Sometimes|, when I try to run the ignition
it cranks, seems to start for half a second (speedometer shows
something)
and then nothing (dies). Also all indicators seems to go off after
that.
If I turn the key to off, and try again sometimes the engine
starts, sometimes not. If I insist it always starts (so far at least!).

I checked the battery, seems fine (12.5V).
I recently also replaced sparks and rotor cap, so these
hopefully should be fine.

>From the posts it seems that 3 could be the main causes:

1. fuel injection main relay
2. starter
3. fuel pump

Any more concrete suggestions from what I described??

TIA
michael

Old July 16th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Also, today when I tried to start the car, I noticed that
sometimes the dashboard indicators didn't light on
when the key was in the "on" position (first time is happened
I think).

Old July 21st 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

thank you for the advice. It seems
it was the ignition switch.

I tried the ignition switch with a screwdriver
before putting it to place and the car started
and the lights turned on when at position "II".

To take the old one off was very tricky (don't know
people on the websites describe it in 3 steps!)
We had to disassemble it, otherwise there was no space to take it out.
Also, putting the ignition switch in place took very
long time, because we had to disassemble and assemble it again
to put it to place.

Now for the bad news and to make the long story short...
It seems that the first time we put it back, we didn't place
the clip on (which holds the prongs in place), so when we
put the wires on the switch probably some of the ignition switch
prongs were pushed back. When we turned the engine on again (using the
key now

), something shorted and burned (we heard a 'tsaf'). When I opened the
fuse box

it looks like the part on the bottom right where some cables come in
the fuse

box burned.

Next time that we tried to crank the engine, there is no crank
and I see some small indication of smoke from the negative pole
of the battery(!).

After that we placed the ignition switch properly, but the bad
was already done. So now, when turning key to ignite:

0. At "II" indicators will light
1. At "III" no crank (just click)
2. Smoke from neg. battery pole
3. Bottom right part of fuse box when some cables come in, seems
to be burned. (will post picture if necessary)
4. Battery is ok though (still at 12.5v)

Thanks for your previous advice. Any suggestions now?
Can that burned part be replaced? I think I have to cut some
cables and reconnect them. I hope I don't screw up more after that...

michael