Thermostat Housing Question '92 Miata

Old September 27th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

Default Thermostat Housing Question '92 Miata

Hi all,
There's a metal T coming out of my thermostat housing that came out of
my thermostat housing this morning. Any ideas on a fix?

Ephar
Old September 27th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

Pictures are available:
http://members.cox.net/redmiata/Bambi/HPIM0523.JPG
http://members.cox.net/redmiata/Bambi/HPIM0524.JPG

Thanks for ideas
Ephar
Old September 27th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

The local Mazda dealer wants $113 to do it, with parts it'll run about
$200. I can tap the housing and get a screw-in T with male pipe threads
at work without removing the housing.
How hard is it to remove the housing? Does it require removal of the
timing belt? I've got a Haynes manual and MEM but havn't found how far
you have to go to remove the faulty part yet.
Thanks for your reply, any help is appreciated,
Ephar
Old September 27th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Ephar,

Dry the "T" and clean off the end that goes onto the housing (wire brush
or sand paper). Dry and clean the housing. Go get some " J B Weld " and
mix a small amount. Coat the end of the "T" with it, then tap the long
end of it to drive it back into the housing. ( It goes in about 1/4 to
3/8 th of an inch ). Let it harden. ) Be sure the other end of the "T"
is in the correct position for the other hose !!!!!!

I have repaired a number of the "T" problems that way. It works well.

Good luck

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old September 27th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

BRUCE HASKIN wrote:
> Ephar,
>
> Dry the "T" and clean off the end that goes onto the housing (wire brush
> or sand paper). Dry and clean the housing. Go get some " J B Weld " and
> mix a small amount. Coat the end of the "T" with it, then tap the long
> end of it to drive it back into the housing. ( It goes in about 1/4 to
> 3/8 th of an inch ). Let it harden. ) Be sure the other end of the "T"
> is in the correct position for the other hose !!!!!!
>
> I have repaired a number of the "T" problems that way. It works well.
>
> Good luck
>
> Bruce Bing '03 LS

Bruce, you are so old school.
There is no question that with two pair of pliers, one package of JB
Weld, and one roll of duct tape, you can keep a car going forever. :-)

Pat (has used JB Weld many times)
Old September 27th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

I love y'all!
Duct tape, Chewing Gum, Gorillia Snot, Bailing Wire, and a BIG Hammer
are all parts of my emergency toolkit.
Here's a pic of my temp fix...
http://members.cox.net/redmiata/Bambi/HPIM0525.JPG
I used brass wire to hold the fitting in place. The original is too
eroded to press back in place. That was my first choice, but it isn't
possible without destroying the part. I've got plenty of water in the
passenger seat and the radiator cap isn't seated fully so hopefully it
won't blow off before I can fix it properly this weekend
I'll let you know how it all works out..
Ephar
Old September 27th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

wrote:
> I love y'all!
> Duct tape, Chewing Gum, Gorillia Snot, Bailing Wire, and a BIG Hammer
> are all parts of my emergency toolkit.
> Here's a pic of my temp fix...

http://members.cox.net/redmiata/Bambi/HPIM0525.JPG
> I used brass wire to hold the fitting in place. The original is too
> eroded to press back in place. That was my first choice, but it isn't
> possible without destroying the part. I've got plenty of water in the
> passenger seat and the radiator cap isn't seated fully so hopefully it
> won't blow off before I can fix it properly this weekend
> I'll let you know how it all works out..
> Ephar

I totally forgot the BFH. There goes that memory....

Again, good luck. I am outta here.

Pat
Old September 27th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Ephar wrote:
> I love y'all!
> Duct tape, Chewing Gum, Gorillia Snot, Bailing Wire, and a BIG Hammer
> are all parts of my emergency toolkit.
> Here's a pic of my temp fix...
> http://members.cox.net/redmiata/Bambi/HPIM0525.JPG
> I used brass wire to hold the fitting in place. The original is too
> eroded to press back in place. That was my first choice, but it isn't
> possible without destroying the part. I've got plenty of water in the
> passenger seat and the radiator cap isn't seated fully so hopefully it
> won't blow off before I can fix it properly this weekend
> I'll let you know how it all works out..
> Ephar

Now there's a name I haven't seen for a loooong time! How the heck are you
and Bambi doing? Is she still winking? <g>

I like the fix - elegant yet simple and low-cost. Hope the long-term fix is
as equally low cost. Please let us know how things work out. Since my
Belle is getting older, this is probably something I'll have to look into
fixing at some point.

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata