Thermostat Housing Question '92 Miata

Old September 27th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

Default Thermostat Housing Question '92 Miata

Well Howdy Ma'am!,
I'm afraid our parade days are gone, our paint is faded & flaking, our
rear window is brown, and we are down to one speaker (unless we hit the
speed bumps just right.)
The wink was abandoned a few years ago, the turn signal intakes are like
vacuum cleaners for water and I couldn't keep the black boxes from
filling up. Have you experienced it? It's really creepy!
I've got another love of my life now, you can meet her at
http://www.xanga.com/PrettyPeke She's got her own booster seat so she
can see out and you can't imagine the smiles we get as we pass people.
I guess you could call her a true Miata Dog.
A new top, timing belt, paint & body work are in my thoughts as we are
pushing toward Bambi's 200th birthday. That new retractable hard top is
sure alluring though. I've been out of it so long I didn't even hear
about the M3, now they're coming out with a M4! It doesn't really look
like a Miata though, does it? Decisions, decisions...
How are y'all doin? I look forward to hearing from you,
Ephar & Bambi
'92A Classic Red
Old September 29th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

wrote:

> Well Howdy Ma'am!,
> I'm afraid our parade days are gone, our paint is faded & flaking, our
> rear window is brown, and we are down to one speaker (unless we hit the
> speed bumps just right.)
> The wink was abandoned a few years ago, the turn signal intakes are like
> vacuum cleaners for water and I couldn't keep the black boxes from
> filling up. Have you experienced it? It's really creepy!

Mine are still fine. When you send them to me, you pushed them full
of silicone, and since I added more. (Also, I moved them to the engine
bay.) The only problem I have is, I keep breaking off the plastic handle of
my DPDT switches. I finally found one with a metal handle, but I still need
to install it.

> I've got another love of my life now, you can meet her at

http://www.xanga.com/PrettyPeke She's got her own booster seat so she
> can see out and you can't imagine the smiles we get as we pass people.
> I guess you could call her a true Miata Dog.

Give her a rub from me.

Leon

--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old September 30th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

Well,
I got it done, it took about an hour and we had to modify a few tools to
work in the confined area.
Total cost about $5 for parts from Lowes.
Picture available at http://members.cox.net/redmiata/Bambi/HPIM0531.JPG
Ephar
Old September 30th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Ephar wrote:
> Well,
> I got it done, it took about an hour and we had to modify a few tools
> work in the confined area.
> Total cost about $5 for parts from Lowes.
> Picture available at http://members.cox.net/redmiata/Bambi/HPIM0531.JPG

Interesting fix - I'll keep it in mind if that situation arises with Belle.
What is the white stuff right at the housing body? It almost looks like
teflon tape.

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata
(hmmm if Bambi no longer winks, does that make my Belle the #2 winkin'
Miata?) <g>

Old September 30th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

That's what it is. We used a 1/8 MPT fitting threaded into the housing
and sealed it with teflon tape. That was then attached with a 1/4"
compression fitting to the new 'T'. We took most of the threads off the
right & bottom legs so the hoses could be forced on and secured the
hoses with real hose clamps.
If you have to try it, plug the intake pipe with a rag as soon as you
disconnect it. I managed to get coolant and metal chips into it. Not a
good thing. Make sure all the hoses are well clear of the belts when
you're finished.
I think it'll last the rest of Mine & Bambi's life myself.

Ephar & Bambi
Old October 1st 06, 08:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

The "tee" is often corroded. A drill and tap for a brass fitting is usually
the low cost solution.
Back in the dark ages, we would heat the casting in a gas oven, and cool a
new brass tee with dry ice, then press the tee on to the casting.
Alas, the local dry ice source went belly up, and the tee is difficult to
obtain, and labor costs are much higher.

"Iva" .> wrote in message
> Ephar wrote:
> > I love y'all!
> > Duct tape, Chewing Gum, Gorillia Snot, Bailing Wire, and a BIG

Hammer
> > are all parts of my emergency toolkit.
> > Here's a pic of my temp fix...
> > http://members.cox.net/redmiata/Bambi/HPIM0525.JPG
> > I used brass wire to hold the fitting in place. The original is too
> > eroded to press back in place. That was my first choice, but it

isn't
> > possible without destroying the part. I've got plenty of water in

the
> > passenger seat and the radiator cap isn't seated fully so hopefully

it
> > won't blow off before I can fix it properly this weekend
> > I'll let you know how it all works out..
> > Ephar

> Now there's a name I haven't seen for a loooong time! How the heck are

you
> and Bambi doing? Is she still winking? <g>
>
> I like the fix - elegant yet simple and low-cost. Hope the long-term fix

is