Do YOU really support the troop?

Old April 15th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mitch_A[_1_]

Default Do YOU really support the troop?

For many Americans, "supporting the troops" is an abstract concept, a broad
statement referring to a vague obligation that is easily fulfilled with a
$2.99 magnetic ribbon from the corner gas station. Slap it on the back of
your vehicle, and you're an official troop supporter-whatever that is, and
minus the decoder ring. It doesn't require any kind of real commitment, no
debate skills, no standing up and taking fire from your liberal neighbors.
Above all, it doesn't require you to see or hear anything that might disturb
the relatively pleasant rat race that is life in America: going to the mall,
talking on your cell phone while impatiently waiting for the light to
change, or grilling steaks and hoisting a beer with friends.

This is not support.

A select few Americans truly understand what "supporting the troops"
means-and most of them have paid for it themselves in some form or another.
Behind the bumper stickers and patriotic shirts, past taking off your hat at
the start of a baseball game or going to the Memorial Day parade, there is
an ethos, a mentality, a code of conduct. Supporting the troops means
understanding the incredible gift you were given, the beautiful ideal that
was offered you on the flag-draped casket of a man who you will never
meet-who chose to die for you.

It is more than complaining to the television during the news-it is holding
your legislators responsible for foolish decisions and laws that tie the
hands of the troops and cost lives.

It is more than parroting the words "Thanks for your service" to a veteran
while trying not to look at the place where his arm or leg once was.

It is more than words. It is a way of life.

Supporting the troops means living your life in a manner that is worthy of
their death. It means ensuring, every minute of every day, that the words
you speak, the actions you take, the beliefs you hold, are ones that honor
them and honor the freedom they have provided to you. It means carrying
yourself proudly, ethically, and with purpose.

It means never backing down, never giving up, never quitting. It means
taking the time to make a difference in someone's life-after all, did a
soldier not make a difference in yours?

It means teaching your children that places like Normandy, Iwo Jima, and
Bastogne are sacred, almost holy phrases that encompass all that we are and
all that we must remain. It means getting off your chair and doing your
part-whether that be reading to a double amputee fresh from the dusty hell
of Iraq, packing granola bars into a box to be sent to the front, or just
not ignoring those who are ignorant any longer. How many times have we all
just sighed and rolled our eyes when we hear "I support the troops but not
the war?"

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.or say nothing.

Supporting the troops means loving your country enough to live for her, to
be willing to do whatever, wherever, and for however long it takes to ensure
that the Marines whose blood stained an enemy's bayonet at Belleau Wood died
for something more than your next Starbucks latte.

We owe them that.

At least.

Old April 16th 07, 05:52 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jason moyer

On Apr 15, 11:39 am, "Mitch_A" > wrote:

<snip>

I pay taxes, which is more support than I frankly wish to give our
military at the present time.

Old April 16th 07, 11:30 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Therron Thomas

Jason,

You're welcome.
I spent 18 mos away from my family so far and will gladly do more if it
means that you get to keep the right to
feel the way you do.

Therron W. Thomas
1SG, US ARMY

ups.com...

Old April 16th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jwilson54

Therron Thomas wrote:
> Jason,
>
> You're welcome.
> I spent 18 mos away from my family so far and will gladly do more if it
> means that you get to keep the right to
> feel the way you do.
>
> Therron W. Thomas
> 1SG, US ARMY
>

> "jason moyer" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> On Apr 15, 11:39 am, "Mitch_A" > wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> I pay taxes, which is more support than I frankly wish to give our
>> military at the present time.

I too served although many years ago,most who do serve would gladly do
it again.I think we see what freedom is all about and that it's worth
protecting.Unlike some who think letting it all work out by itself will
someway fix it.
Old April 17th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jason moyer

On Apr 16, 6:30 am, "Therron Thomas"
> wrote:

> You're welcome.
> I spent 18 mos away from my family so far and will gladly do more if it
> means that you get to keep the right to
> feel the way you do.

I'm sorry for you and your family. If it were up to me you'd be with
them.

Old April 17th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Albert Ross

What a waste of time that was then.

Old May 2nd 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Lancelot

I too served although many years ago,most who do serve would gladly do
it again.I think we see what freedom is all about and that it's worth
protecting.Unlike some who think letting it all work out by itself will
someway fix it.

There are some meant to be soldiers, leaders and patriots. Then there are
the complaining sheep they serve.