Where to buy Thermostat

Old January 27th 05, 09:36 PM
tfandango

Default Where to buy Thermostat

Hi-

I drive a 2000 XLT with a bad Thermostat... sucessfully diagnosed doe
to posts in this newsgroup... Thanks!

I want to buy a new one and learn how to install it myself, since the
dealer wants 30 bucks for a Ford part and 114 bucks to install it. I
figure I'll flush the coolent, replace the belt, and take out the
thermostat all at once.

I've heard here that Stant Thermostats are the best. Where can I buy
one online and what part number should I be looking for? Also, I see
Oreilly Autoparts has one in stock nearby, but it's an Oreilly brand.
Which way should I go?

Thanks,
TRoy

Old January 27th 05, 10:28 PM
M Hoaglan

I have a 2001 explorer, and I hope the thermostat last much longer,.
but, it should be easy to do job, as I have replced many on my older cars.
remove thermostat housing and clean off old gasket material,it cant get
much easier than this,
but, I have not really had a close look at the 4.0 engine layout. maybe
there are a series of things to remove to get to the housing?
oups.com...

Old January 28th 05, 12:00 AM
Simon H

There's a USED thermostat on eBay UK he
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...2997 989&rd=1
Can you really believe somebody is selling a used thermostat?

Simon H

oups.com...

Old January 28th 05, 12:52 AM
Scott Van Nest

I just did the thermostat on my 2000 Exp Sport, 4.0 OHV at 75,000 miles. I
would suggest you do it yourself.

The only part on mine that had to be removed was the small plastic shield
for the throttle body. once removed, the 3 bolts holding the thermostat
housing were almost just hand tight. not much more. I think I used a 12
mm socket on mine. Do not over tighten when putting it back. You will see
what I mean. A small rubber o-ring type bushing holds the thermostat center
hole. Almost forget, first remove about 1 gallon of antifreeze. I didn't
suck enough out and ended up cleaning the garage floor when complete. Took
all of 1 hour, start to finish. This is a good time to change the fluid if
you haven't already. I had just changed the fluid this past summer.

I bought the O'reilly brand for $5. it seems to be fine. The name on the
box says "Murray" <Made in Israel> interesting....

Good Luck
Scott

oups.com...

Old January 28th 05, 01:49 AM
syclone

I guess you're a newby to the web. All it took was a google search for
" stant thermostat" The first entry was: http://www.rockauto.com/
They have a complete on-line catalog. Give it a shot!

Old January 28th 05, 05:53 AM
Kevin D

I'm glad to see that nobody has bid on it...yet, anyway. This guy really
thinks he can get 1 quid or more for a used t-stat...********!

Old January 28th 05, 08:07 PM
lovs2fly

Make sure you get the right o ring. this is critical!

ups.com...

Old January 31st 05, 03:47 PM
Ted

And another IMPORTANT thing....be sure you orient it correctly (look at
the old one). If up sidedown you're screwed!

Old February 11th 05, 09:43 PM
Mr. Whatever

Scott Van Nest wrote:
> I just did the thermostat on my 2000 Exp Sport, 4.0 OHV at 75,000 miles. I
> would suggest you do it yourself.
>
> The only part on mine that had to be removed was the small plastic shield
> for the throttle body. once removed, the 3 bolts holding the thermostat
> housing were almost just hand tight. not much more. I think I used a 12
> mm socket on mine. Do not over tighten when putting it back. You will see
> what I mean. A small rubber o-ring type bushing holds the thermostat center
> hole. Almost forget, first remove about 1 gallon of antifreeze. I didn't
> suck enough out and ended up cleaning the garage floor when complete. Took
> all of 1 hour, start to finish. This is a good time to change the fluid if
> you haven't already. I had just changed the fluid this past summer.
>
> I bought the O'reilly brand for $5. it seems to be fine. The name on the
> box says "Murray" <Made in Israel> interesting....
>
> Good Luck
> Scott
>
> I had an Israeli made thermostat that was made to fail open in my

Cadillac. They didnt have one for the Explorer at the time and I can't
remember the name now.

Thermostat problem on VUE [email protected] Saturn 1 January 10th 05 04:28 AM
Need help to replace thermostat on 1993 325i sedan Lyle_s BMW 7 December 31st 04 11:30 AM
Replacement bolt size for Thermostat outlet 94 Explorer XLT Herb Patterson Ford Explorer 1 November 10th 04 03:22 AM
e34 530 thermostat mojo BMW 5 October 3rd 04 09:20 PM
Thermostat in 1993 SL1 Gary Compton Saturn 2 July 4th 04 07:39 PM