Auto insurance in New Jersey is scam; Amica is crooked, too

Old February 1st 05, 03:49 PM
Usual Suspect

John F. Carr wrote:

> Since the state started setting insurance rates.
>
> In Massachusetts nearly all rates are set by the state.**New
> Jersey has a different system about as bad as Massachusetts'.

Wow, that would certainly explain the OP's allegations. I say politicians
(and some voters) should be sent back in time to Soviet Russia to learn
what things work and what don't before they repeat such obvious mistakes
like price-fixing by the state.
Old February 1st 05, 07:34 PM
Furious George

Paul wrote:
> "Grzegorz" > wrote in message
> > Hello there,
> >

> > I guess everyone heard "New Jersey auto insurance is scam". I guess

> it's
> > truism. Here is my story (sorry, but it's long):

> <story snipped for brevity>
>
> Says alot about your landlord, but the other person is right about

his
> having the right to go to whomever he chooses to get his vehicle

fixed.
> Unfortunately, it sounds like your landlord and his bodyshop are

rip-off
> artists - and that assumes he has the truck fixed and doesn't take

the
> $$$ and spend it on something else. If you want to make a complaint,

you
> might statrt with your state's insurance commissioner (or what ever

they
> call it in NJ) and/or the attourney general's office.
>
> I assume that the "If a claim is $1000 or more that means you get
> 'at-fault accident,'" and this point system are things of your

insurance
> company and not state law. If this is the insurance company's doing,

> would suggest you start looking for another insurance company and

when
> you find a new company *and* have a new policy inforce, let Amica

know
> exactly *why* you are canceling your policy with them and why you

will
> never refer another person to them.
>
> In short, its not just NJ. ALL auto insurance is a rip-off, IMO and

we
> have these idiotic state laws that require auto insurance to blame

for
> it.

Yeah. I agree all auto insurance is a rip-off and these idiotic state
laws that require auto insurance should be repealed. If you get hurt
by someone with no insurance, no money, and no attachable assets then
it's your own damn fault. You should have been driving a tank.

Old February 1st 05, 08:00 PM
laurak

<<<Absolutely. I am not going to give them opportunity to nonre=ADnew my
policy.
Still, if I leave them now, they gonna be in black ink on my=AD policy
and they
deserve to be in red. I wish my wife actually ran over the l=ADandlord,
not his
truck ;-) No, that's just bad joke. But yes, they not gonna=AD pocket
my
dollars anymore for too long. >>>

Who do you think is going to insure you? Your wife just had a major
accident in a parking lot, her fault. Do you seriously think another
company is going to offer you insurance?
You'll end up paying a whole lot more and probably be on probationary
status for a year or more if you do find another company that will take
you on.

Old February 1st 05, 08:45 PM
John

> Who do you think is going to insure you? Your wife just had a major
> accident in a parking lot, her fault. Do you seriously think another
> company is going to offer you insurance?
> You'll end up paying a whole lot more and probably be on probationary
> status for a year or more if you do find another company that will take
> you on.

You work for an insurance company or something? Or you just a retard
browsing around?

Major accident? Bumper moved by 1 millimeter (oops, you probably don't know
what a millimeter is -- so here you a ~1/26 of an inch). Even if the
claim amount of $1200 was reasonable (it's not) how the can you call it
major? Read my post first.

On a side note, yes I already shopped around and was offered an insurance
(included the claim on the history), alas not yet competetive with Amica. I
guess insurance companies are crooked but not retared like you.

All I can say I wish you get into similar situation and be threatened by
your insurance company, and ideally dropped. May happen one day.

Grzegorz

Old February 1st 05, 09:41 PM
Furious George

John wrote:
> > Who do you think is going to insure you? Your wife just had a major
> > accident in a parking lot, her fault. Do you seriously think

another
> > company is going to offer you insurance?
> > You'll end up paying a whole lot more and probably be on

probationary
> > status for a year or more if you do find another company that will

take
> > you on.

> You work for an insurance company or something? Or you just a retard
> browsing around?
>
> Major accident? Bumper moved by 1 millimeter (oops, you probably

don't know
> what a millimeter is -- so here you a ~1/26 of an inch). Even if

the
> claim amount of $1200 was reasonable (it's not)

Of course it's not reasonable. This sounds like $10 worth of damage,
tops. Duct tape that baby back in place and it'll be good as new -
almost. You should have offered your landlord a twenty to settle it.
That's 10 for the damage and 10 to keep his mouth shut.

> how the can you call it
> major? Read my post first.
>
> On a side note, yes I already shopped around and was offered an

insurance
> (included the claim on the history), alas not yet competetive with

Amica. I
> guess insurance companies are crooked but not retared like you.

It sounds like they're in a big conspiracy against you. You should
definitely switch to that other company to punish Amica for raising
your rates. They were very mean to you and probably hurt your
feelings.

> All I can say I wish you get into similar situation and be threatened

by
> your insurance company, and ideally dropped. May happen one day.

Perhaps if I was accident prone then I should be dropped, but I'm not.

Old February 1st 05, 11:13 PM
laurak

<<<You work for an insurance company or something? Or you just =ADa
retard
browsing around?

Major accident? Bumper moved by 1 millimeter (oops, you prob=ADably
don't know
what a millimeter is -- so here you a ~1/26 of an inch).=AD Even if
the
claim amount of $1200 was reasonable (it's not) how the can =ADyou call
it
major? Read my post first. >>>

You're a real charmer, aren't you?
You mention in your original post that your wife did considerable
damage to her car in the accident in the parking lot. That's what I was
referring to.
The damage to the car she ran into may seem minimal to you but since
she did cause the accident, it's up to the owner of the car she ran
into to decide whether or not to have it fixed. Replacing a bumper is
expensive if that's what he chooses to do.
If you're going to run into other cars, you have to be prepared to pay
for it.
And you will pay for it on your insurance bill for some time to come.
And you should. It's careless people like your wife who push up the
rates.

Old February 2nd 05, 12:00 AM
Daniel J. Stern

This thread is ridiculous. Anyone dumb enough to voluntarily remain in New
Jersey deserves the consequences of that decision.

Old February 2nd 05, 01:04 AM
Usual Suspect

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> This thread is ridiculous. Anyone dumb enough to voluntarily remain in New
> Jersey deserves the consequences of that decision.

Hehe
Old February 2nd 05, 01:08 AM
Usual Suspect

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> This thread is ridiculous. Anyone dumb enough to voluntarily remain in New
> Jersey deserves the consequences of that decision.

In my very biased opinion there are only two livable places in the US: San
Diego (specifically La Jolla and PB areas, where weather, surf and
nightlife justify other problems) and Manhattan, where you don't need to
drive (which has huge consequences on your whole lifestyle). But that's me.
Old February 2nd 05, 02:58 PM
Grzegorz

"laurak" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> You're a real charmer, aren't you?

Well, I apologize for my harsh words. I should accept your point of view.
Not well founded or thought over, but still...

> You mention in your original post that your wife did considerable
> damage to her car in the accident in the parking lot. That's what I was
> referring to.
> The damage to the car she ran into may seem minimal to you but since
> she did cause the accident, it's up to the owner of the car she ran
> into to decide whether or not to have it fixed. Replacing a bumper is
> expensive if that's what he chooses to do.

Well, again. The damage doesn't warrant changing the bumper, I believe --
just the bracket/reinforcement. Maybe I might be wrong on this one. However,
under no circumstances the damage warranted replacing the trailer hitch that
has not been even touched in the accident.

About the "major accident". You need to realize what happens to a car with
an impact with a truck. The truck's bumper is very high, just at the level
of the trunk lid of our Alitma (just above Altima's bumper). That's why
damage to our car was significant because the practically whole impact was
absorbed by the our car's trunk lid.

Believe me it can happen --- I am not talking down the extent of the damages
to the truck.

> If you're going to run into other cars, you have to be prepared to pay
> for it.

Well, I carry insurance -- I was prepared. If you read my e-mail carefully,
I was complaing about: (1) fradulent appraisal done so to go above $1000
at-fault accident threshold (that's the NJ specific thing), (2) the point
system used by Amica that virtually means loosing coverage after a single
claim > $1000 and any traffic violation. Repeat -- we're not going to lose
the coverage because, because my wife has otherwise super-clean record (no
tickets ever).

> And you will pay for it on your insurance bill for some time to come.

Yeah, we'll do, although the rate increase will be actually small (10% or
so), so I am not worried. I am worried that if my wife gets any ticket
within next three years she will lose coverage.

Do you it's fair that someone who paid several thousand dollars over the
life of the policy then had a claim for a fraction of it, and might be
kicked out? And maybe end up in the "assigned pool" and then pay several
times more that the cost damages he ever caused? I don't. I would rather
have an option to drive without insurance or have option to cover loses up
to, say $5000 out of my pocket.

I also see several problems such situation creates, that you apparently
don't. Be it uninsured drivers or staged accident. For example some may
think -- if you are to loose your coverage, why not to stage an accident and
make a buck?

> And you should. It's careless people like your wife who push up the
> rates.

You really oversimplify things. It's the corrupted system and fradulent
lawsuits and claims that really push up the rates.

Grzegorz

Cheap auto insurance jimrich Driving 2 January 18th 05 04:27 AM
best deal on auto insurance jimrich General 0 January 17th 05 05:17 AM
Auto Insurance Question (foreign driver) Mike General 0 August 16th 04 06:52 PM
When Selling a Car Online - Beware of this Auto Scam!!! JM General 0 May 3rd 04 01:47 AM