Unlock hubs in 94 Cherokee

Old February 25th 05, 12:44 PM

Default Unlock hubs in 94 Cherokee

I just purchased a 2nd-hand 1994 Cherokee with the 5-speed manual,
part-time 4WD tranny. The previous owner told me that you needed to
back it up to unlock the hubs after having it in 4WD. I had to do this
for my 88 Trooper. But I haven't seen anything in the Jeep owner's
manual about backing up to unlock the hubs.

Do I need to back to unlock hubs, or not?

thanks,

Tom

Old February 25th 05, 01:48 PM
Jo Bo

These hubs don't "unlock". That's unless you've added aftermarket hubs. The
backing up part is what you need to do if the shifter is stuck do to driving
on a dry hard road and binding up the drive line. Earlier XJ's had a vacum
operated unlock on the right axel but that was discontinued before yours was
made (90 I think).

JoBo
ups.com...

Old February 25th 05, 02:41 PM
Mike Romain

You have permanently locked hubs, the previous owner obviously had no
clue how to use the 4x4.

You can shift on the fly into and out of 4 high at any legal speed on a
Jeep. I just treat 4 H like any other shift and when I see a snow patch
coming, I shift in, get back to dry and just shift back to 2x4.

When using 4 low for high torque and low speeds, you should be moving
2-3 mph only when shifting into or out of it or you will get bad
noises. It clunks at the best of times going into low though.

Even with the older vacuum axled hubs, you didn't have to back up to
unlock them. You sometimes have to let off on the gas pedal fast to
bump the vacuum up to get them to work, but that is just because of old
age and leaky vacuum hoses. If the shifter will physically shift to 2
wheel drive, you 'are' in 2 wheel drive period. The shifter disconnects
the front driveshaft from the engine.

On my 86 CJ7 with locking hubs, I sometimes have issues getting it out
of 4x4 low. The shifter itself won't move sometimes unless I spin
rubber or goose it in reverse. This only happens after coming off a too
high a traction area just before wanting to use 2x4 again.

So if the shifter won't move, you have to hit reverse sometimes or spin
rubber, but the hubs don't care one way or the other.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 25th 05, 03:37 PM
The Fuzz

My 96 xj has locking hubs, Oh by the way it is a warn conversion.

Old February 25th 05, 04:01 PM
Mike Romain

Your point?

Do locking hubs magically prevent you from shifting out of 4x4 like the
OP was told?

Mike

Old February 25th 05, 04:55 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The previous owner meant to back up while you are shifting out of
four wheel drive. A must with old Ford products as the the Dana and nine
inch ratios don't exactly match, not as important with Jeeps, unless
there is a tire size or pressure difference. But, it a good practice to
get into.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 25th 05, 05:22 PM
Mike Romain

Crap Bill, I can just see someone doing 65 mph and in order to shift
having to stop on the highway and go backward against 70 mph traffic to
shift to 2WD. LOL! Too funny....

Mike

Old February 25th 05, 06:36 PM
Jeff Strickland

The hubs lock through a vacuum mechanism. There is a collar of sorts that
slides over two splined shafts to connect them, this collar moves on command
of a vacuum system. Sometimes the shafts and collar can bind, and going in
reverse will release the bind and allow the collar to move back to its home
position. This is not in the manual because it is not "required". It is
helpful though. You can also release the binding, if present, by changing
the load on the drive train, you can do this by letting off of the gas and
turning the steering wheel from side to side.

If you shift out of 4WD, and can hear the resulting clunk from the movement
of the collar, then you do not have to do anything else. In theory, all you
need do is shift out of 4WD, and eventually the vacuum system will pull the
collar back to its home position. In practice, the collar can stick and the
remedy is to try going backwards for a few feet.

ups.com...

Old February 25th 05, 07:02 PM
Mike Romain

He doesn't have a locking front end, it is on all the time.

Even with the old vacuum lock, shifting is by a lever on the floor. If
this lever on the floor will shift to 2 wheel drive, you are freaking
'IN' 2 wheel drive no matter if the front axle is a vacuum release,
permanent locked, or manually locked!

There is no such thing as having to go into reverse to 'unlock' front
hubs or axles period! That cannot happen on "ANY" Jeep!

Once the shifter has moved to 2 wheel drive, the front driveshaft is no
longer connected to the drivetrain, therefore there can be no 'binding
up'. The older vacuum collar cannot 'bind up' when the driveshaft is
not connected....

Now if your gear shift won't come out of 4x4, then yes, you do have to
maybe back up to shift the transfer case.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 25th 05, 07:19 PM
Steve

Incorrect. You won't find the vacuum disconnect axle on a 1994 Cherokee.
Last model year for that was 1991 for XJ/MJ and 1995 for YJ. The hubs on
a 94 Cherokee are permanently connected straight through the axles to
the differential.

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org