Do you back into your driveway?

Old July 14th 05, 02:15 AM
Doug Miller

In article . com>, "Larry Bud" > wrote:

>Why doesn't he have to worry about backing into a child when parking
>the car?

Perhaps neither he nor his neighbors have children...

--
Regards,

Old July 14th 05, 03:10 AM
DTJ

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:18:24 -0400, Kevin Spencer
> wrote:

>I have noticed that most others always pull forward into their
>driveways, in fact one neighbor did actually ask me if I
>"was planning to go to a fire" .... in a friendly way.
>Does anyone else back in to the driveway .... or am I
>unusual?

I don't, my wife does. It puts more room between the cars in the
garage.

We both used to when we lived on a major street. It was easier
because we could "block" traffic to allow us to back in, but you could
never back out. Of course, you could turn your signal on for blocks,
decreasing your speed more and more as you approached the drive way,
and people would sit behind you in the right lane honking rather than
move over one lane and go around you.

Depending on the situation, backing in can be much better.
Old July 14th 05, 03:12 AM
DTJ

On 13 Jul 2005 13:46:19 -0700, Banty > wrote:

>>I have noticed that most others always pull forward into their
>>driveways, in fact one neighbor did actually ask me if I
>>"was planning to go to a fire" .... in a friendly way.
>>Does anyone else back in to the driveway .... or am I
>>unusual?

>It's unusual. In fact, it's something I only did when I was part of an on-pager
>emergency crew, so what your neighbor said is what would occur to me.

No it is not unusual at all. And what the **** does it matter why he
does it, you can do it your way, he can do it his.

>So, let me ask you - ya pays now or ya pays later, right? Either way, there's a
>possibility of backing into something.. when backing in, or backing out! So why
>do you prefer to do the manuever backing in??

Gee, maybe because you can pull up and eyeball the driveway before
backing, and thus have a far lower chance of running over something.

>For one thing, you can wait in your driveway for the traffic to clear before

Could be days.

**** him, let him learn to drive.

>maneuver. For another thing, backing out into the street takes a little less
>care than lining up to back into most driveways, since driveways are narrower
>than streets.

Only for those who shouldn't be driving anyhow.
Old July 14th 05, 03:47 AM
ameijers

"Kevin Spencer" > wrote in message
> I wanted to get some opinions about my behavior. I recently
> moved into a house (I'm house-sitting for a few years) and
> I have never had my own driveway before this move. I find
> myself always backing into the driveway now when I park, so when
> it's time for me to go anywhere, I can pull out forward, and
> I won't have to worry about backing into a small child or
> another vehicle.
>
> I have noticed that most others always pull forward into their
> driveways, in fact one neighbor did actually ask me if I
> "was planning to go to a fire" .... in a friendly way.
> Does anyone else back in to the driveway .... or am I
> unusual?

Depends if I am carrying a load in back or not. If I am, I back in, so
tailgate is right by house door. At work, I pull through the double row of
slots so I am facing 'out' to the aisle, because parking lot is laid out
badly, and backing out into the narrow aisles is a pain. Most people do the
same- you can spot the ones that went out for lunch, because they are nose
in, in most cases.

aem sends...

Old July 14th 05, 03:55 AM
John David Galt

Kevin Spencer wrote:
> I wanted to get some opinions about my behavior. I recently
> moved into a house (I'm house-sitting for a few years) and
> I have never had my own driveway before this move. I find
> myself always backing into the driveway now when I park, so when
> it's time for me to go anywhere, I can pull out forward, and
> I won't have to worry about backing into a small child or
> another vehicle.
>
> I have noticed that most others always pull forward into their
> driveways, in fact one neighbor did actually ask me if I
> "was planning to go to a fire" .... in a friendly way.
> Does anyone else back in to the driveway .... or am I
> unusual?

I back into my present driveway, and did at my previous place in San
Francisco as well. In each case I had a specific reason.

My present home is on a minor through street that, half a block away,
turns into the main entrance of a regional park that draws hundreds of
visitors in summer. The street also has bike lanes that see a lot of
use (including kids who often go the wrong way). By backing in, I
avoid having to back out into heavy traffic if I leave during rush
hour (when this street draws substantial traffic) or on a "park day".

The San Francisco place was on a street where the houses go right up
to the property lines, and the one to the right of mine (as seen
from the street) had a wall running along the edge of my driveway all
the way to the (narrow) sidewalk - and it's a major street. Trying to
back out of there at any time would have been suicide. If I could not
back in, I would not have dared to use the garage at all.

In both places, I use this technique to minimize the delay to others
when I back into the driveway:
1) Pull over so I'm "parallel parked" in the driveway opening.
2) Wait (a reasonable time but not forever) for traffic to clear.
3) Pull out at an angle of about 45 degrees to the curb, as if I were
attempting to start a U-turn, but stop while at least part of my back
bumper is still in the curb lane. This usually prevents anyone from
getting behind me and thus blocking the completion of the maneuver.
4) Check that it's clear (of pedestrians/bikes) behind me, then back
into the driveway.

Aside: If your place has a double-wide driveway and yours is the only
car using it, a better technique is to pull forward into the driveway,
then make a back-and-fill turn within the driveway before shutting off
the car with the nose pointing out. If I had the space for this method,
I would be using it instead.
Old July 14th 05, 03:56 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, The Etobian wrote:

> >the ones that crack me up are the ones that back into a parking slot at
> >Costo and then can open their trunk to load all their crap in. LOL

> That's a lot easier than trying to back up when you're flanked by
> Excursions on either side.

The ones who **** me off and crack me up at the same time are those who
drive tiny cars *all the way into* parking spaces flanked on either side
by much bigger cars. That's moronic; the smart way is to pull in only so
far as to put the trailing end (whichever that be) of the small car more
or less even with the outer extent of the parking space lines.

They **** me off 'cause they create phantom parking spaces (Oops, no, that
one's taken).

They crack me up because I know there are people not paying careful
attention who'll glance at the phantom parking space and swing on in.
Krunch.

DS
Old July 14th 05, 05:21 AM
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

One car, yes. I have a narrow two car garage and its easier to get the
drivers door open if it swings toward the center of the garage.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Excuse me for butting in, but I'm interrupt-driven.
Old July 14th 05, 06:00 AM
Scott en Aztlán

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:18:24 -0400, Kevin Spencer
> wrote:

>I wanted to get some opinions about my behavior. I recently
>moved into a house (I'm house-sitting for a few years)

A few YEARS?

>Does anyone else back in to the driveway .... or am I
>unusual?

You're definitely unusual - on more than one level.

Old July 14th 05, 07:19 AM
Rob

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:18:24 -0400, Kevin Spencer
> wrote:

>I wanted to get some opinions about my behavior. I recently
>moved into a house (I'm house-sitting for a few years) and
>I have never had my own driveway before this move. I find
>myself always backing into the driveway now when I park, so when
>it's time for me to go anywhere, I can pull out forward, and
>I won't have to worry about backing into a small child or
>another vehicle.
>
>I have noticed that most others always pull forward into their
>driveways, in fact one neighbor did actually ask me if I
>"was planning to go to a fire" .... in a friendly way.
>Does anyone else back in to the driveway .... or am I
>unusual?
>
>Kevin Spencer

I hope you're not unusual because I've been doing it for about 24
years now at different homes I've owned.
Old July 14th 05, 09:36 AM
asian_guy

wrote:

>I have noticed that most others always pull forward into their
>driveways, in fact one neighbor did actually ask me if I
>"was planning to go to a fire" .... in a friendly way.

"Going to a fire"? What does that mean?