Sudden slow downs. Why?

Old July 14th 05, 05:06 PM
Ted B.

> The same thing happens in Massachusetts, but in Connecticut traffic
> ahead of me slowed to 60 in a 65 zone at the sight of a police car.

Well, CT does supposedly have the worst drivers in the country. REALLY!
There was a study done about it recently. MA came in 2nd, though (I
believe, from memory) -Dave

Old July 15th 05, 02:09 AM
Matthew Russotto

In article .com>,
N8N > wrote:

>I have found following a police officer at a respectful distance to be
>an excellent way to make progress through traffic at super-legal speeds

Try pulling out the legal distance behind an ambulance traveling (with
lights flashing) down a heavily-trafficked Interstate. Moses, eat
your heart out.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old July 15th 05, 02:57 AM
James C. Reeves

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
news:1121119674.940489371051172ad523a67cfe38fcf3@t eranews...

> I've seen a lot of drivers who apparently don't know their true speed
> and/or what the speed limit is - they will slow to 55 in a 65 for example
> when seeing a cop, which causes no end of chaos behind them... the aware
> drivers will slow to the speed limit, then notice that the vehicle in
> front of them is still slowing...

I have too. Why do people slow to 10 *under* when they see a cop. Crazy.

Old July 15th 05, 04:01 AM
Harry K

Nate Nagel wrote:
> James C. Reeves wrote:
> > "Larry Bud" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...

> >>Oh come on. Let's talk about reality. The reality is that cops sit on
> >>the side of the road with their radar on waiting for the numbers to
> >>register higher than the speed limit. Then the christmas tree lights
> >>up and he gets one more for his monthly quota. No probable cause
> >>necessary.
> >>

> > Yep, that's the way they do it here. The "tag" just about everybody that
> > drives by.
> >

> I've seen a lot of drivers who apparently don't know their true speed
> and/or what the speed limit is - they will slow to 55 in a 65 for
> example when seeing a cop, which causes no end of chaos behind them...
> the aware drivers will slow to the speed limit, then notice that the
> vehicle in front of them is still slowing...
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
> http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Well I can sorta understand slowing to the posted but on this highway
the standard speed is 65 or 66 (posted 60). No-one that I have ever
heard of ever got ticketed for that speed...oops, did to but only in
bad conditions when even the posted was way too fast for conditions.
When I am lead of the pack (rare) and come on the situation, my speed
doesn't change, still keep plugging along at a yawn producing 65.

Harry K

Old July 16th 05, 01:20 AM
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

"James C. Reeves" wrote:

> "Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> news:1121119674.940489371051172ad523a67cfe38fcf3@t eranews...
> >
> > I've seen a lot of drivers who apparently don't know their true speed
> > and/or what the speed limit is - they will slow to 55 in a 65 for example
> > when seeing a cop, which causes no end of chaos behind them... the aware
> > drivers will slow to the speed limit, then notice that the vehicle in
> > front of them is still slowing...
> >

> I have too. Why do people slow to 10 *under* when they see a cop. Crazy.

They're probably busy hiding their stash. Just in case.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Nondeterminism means never having to say you are wrong.
Old July 16th 05, 09:10 PM
Michael Nitabach

"Ted B." > wrote in
eenews.net:

>> The same thing happens in Massachusetts, but in Connecticut
>> traffic ahead of me slowed to 60 in a 65 zone at the sight of a
>> police car.
>>

> Well, CT does supposedly have the worst drivers in the country.
> REALLY! There was a study done about it recently. MA came in 2nd,
> though (I believe, from memory) -Dave

The LLBing in CT is much worse than in NJ or NY.

Old July 16th 05, 09:35 PM
Dave

Matthew Russotto wrote:
> In article .com>,
> N8N > wrote:
> >
> >I have found following a police officer at a respectful distance to be
> >an excellent way to make progress through traffic at super-legal speeds
> >

> Try pulling out the legal distance behind an ambulance traveling (with
> lights flashing) down a heavily-trafficked Interstate. Moses, eat
> your heart out.

I love following ambulances and fire trucks in cities with ITS light
controls. It's great hitting every single green light for 2 miles in a
row on a busy arterial street.

Dave

Old July 19th 05, 07:20 PM
Roy Shroyer

>> Well, CT does supposedly have the worst drivers in the country.
>> REALLY! There was a study done about it recently. MA came in 2nd,
>> though (I believe, from memory) -Dave

> The LLBing in CT is much worse than in NJ or NY.

Agree about CT. But have you been to Louisiana? Where LLB is the way
people are "taught" to drive?

I must've passed 15 cars LLB driving between New Orleans and Baton Rouge on
Sunday -- 1 hour.

These 15 were cars that were locked in the left lane regardless of how many
cars they were holding up or if nothing was in the right lane. I was going
78mph and passed that many. I didn't include ducklings in my count either.
If I had the count would have been closer to 50.

A convoy going 70 in the left lane (each separated by one car length) with
the right lane wide open is a common sight here.

After living here for half my life, and having driven in most of the lower
48, I have come to the inescapable conclusion that LLB is taught here. Any
other explanation eludes me.

Once you enter Texas, Mississippi, or Ark (bordering states) the LLB count
drops waaay down. CT is similar to LA, but fortunately for you New
Englanders, a distant 2nd to LA.

Roy

Noise at slow turns Ct Midnite BMW 2 June 1st 05 04:02 AM
Cruise Control Slow Turning On Odyssey 98 Ted Leja Honda 0 March 20th 05 06:29 PM
Question for People Who Slow Down and "Let Them In" Usual Suspect Driving 43 February 24th 05 11:27 PM
Slow wiper 2.0L 01 Jetta auto [email protected] VW water cooled 6 February 6th 05 09:11 PM