325i vs G35

Old October 13th 04, 09:44 PM
Brent Wege

Default 325i vs G35

Both of these cars are about 33k new with the sports package. I
really like the quality and looks of the bimmer but am feeling some
"buyers remorse" when considering purchasing it. The G35 is 280
horse with 270 lb of torque for the same price as the 325i which is
only 184 horse with 175lb of torque. Both cars handle very well.

The G35 is loaded up much more with features. What am I missing on
the bimmer... why would I pay more for less?

Has anyone test driven these 2 cars? I'd appreciate some opinions.
Old October 13th 04, 10:17 PM
Somebody

"Brent Wege" > wrote in message
om...
> Both of these cars are about 33k new with the sports package. I
> really like the quality and looks of the bimmer but am feeling some
> "buyers remorse" when considering purchasing it. The G35 is 280
> horse with 270 lb of torque for the same price as the 325i which is
> only 184 horse with 175lb of torque. Both cars handle very well.
>
> The G35 is loaded up much more with features. What am I missing on
> the bimmer... why would I pay more for less?
>
> Has anyone test driven these 2 cars? I'd appreciate some opinions.

Not being a bit flippant, but go try one yourself. You'll feel better than
any advice you get here. The dealer doesn't have to know you aren't
*really* interested in trading.

-Russ.

Old October 14th 04, 12:09 AM
Trey

Both cars will have to be driven by you on the same route to get an accurate
idea. Yes, the BMW has less HP, but is that the end all deal breaker for
you? What about the fit and finish of the car, the included service, the
cost to insure them and maintain them, the cost in gas... does the G35 spec
91 octane? Will you be using the full HP of the G35? or will you be sitting
in traffic with the engine idling most the time?
What is the longevity of the G35? You can be driving the BMW for many years
to come. I used a Nissan Quest at work the other day, if the build quality
fit and finish and durability of the G35 is anything like the Quest, I would
get the BMW.

Old October 14th 04, 01:42 AM
fbloogyudsr

"Brent Wege" > wrote
> Both of these cars are about 33k new with the sports package. I
> really like the quality and looks of the bimmer but am feeling some
> "buyers remorse" when considering purchasing it. The G35 is 280
> horse with 270 lb of torque for the same price as the 325i which is
> only 184 horse with 175lb of torque. Both cars handle very well.
>
> The G35 is loaded up much more with features. What am I missing on
> the bimmer... why would I pay more for less?
>
> Has anyone test driven these 2 cars? I'd appreciate some opinions.

This has been hashed out here before - search the archives for them.
Also, Car & Driver did this exact test (and liked the G35 better because
of the power/price aspect.) Public library or caranddriver.com.

Floyd
Old October 14th 04, 03:00 AM
tech27

"fbloogyudsr" > wrote in message
> "Brent Wege" > wrote
>> Both of these cars are about 33k new with the sports package. I
>> really like the quality and looks of the bimmer but am feeling some
>> "buyers remorse" when considering purchasing it. The G35 is 280
>> horse with 270 lb of torque for the same price as the 325i which is
>> only 184 horse with 175lb of torque. Both cars handle very well.
>>
>> The G35 is loaded up much more with features. What am I missing on
>> the bimmer... why would I pay more for less?
>>
>> Has anyone test driven these 2 cars? I'd appreciate some opinions.

I test drove both. The Bimmer is a far better handling car. I doubt that the
test drive you took would have given you much indication of the handling
capabilities under normal street driving conditions. I also have owned BMW's
since 1987. They have all held up extremely well. The G35 is an unproven
entity at this point. I'm not saying that it won't hold up well, but we just
don't know the long term prognosis.
If you REALLY want a very very nice car, check out a 330.
As far as bells and whistles, go, you have to figure that things that come
cheap probably are. They clearly market the G35 on horsepower, then on "all
you get" for the reasonable price.
One thing that I really hated was that it was almost impossible to adjust
the seat with the door closed. Hardly any room between the closed door and
the controls.
My 2 cents.

WTB: Tan seats for 88 325i Conv. ErikMcComber BMW 3 January 31st 05 07:29 PM
FS: BMW 325I, Price Reduced bmw325i BMW 0 October 11th 04 06:23 PM
BMW 325i radio Ken Bonin BMW 0 October 2nd 04 01:55 AM
FS: 1989 BMW 325I bmw325i BMW 0 September 20th 04 05:41 PM