Why people talk **** about Oklahoma...

Old December 31st 04, 11:55 PM
2.3Sleeper

Default Why people talk **** about Oklahoma...

No, not some funny email. Just my random thoughts.

People get this image of Oklahoma because we are prone to tornado's. So are
about 15 other states. Thing is, we have had a few bad ones...and one damn
movie, so people stick us with that. For some reason, they put the most
redneck ass people on the news when this happens. I can understand why
people get certain idea's about us "Okies".

However...I love this state. A week ago, I froze my ass off at work all
night long. In and out of the vehicle. Dealing with stupid people, giving
out parking violation stickers, etc. Cold, very cold. Colder that a well
digger's ass.

We had a tornado at the end of October. Definitely out of season. there is
an old saying: If you don't like Oklahoma weather, wait a day. So it has
been cold. No surprise huh, it is December? Yesterday and today I worked for
my father on one of the oil wells. 2 minutes ago, I admired the sunburn on
my neck, arms, and face. 72 degrees yesterday and damn close again today. I
am in shorts, my kids are playing outside in shorts and shirt sleeves. The
windows to the house are all open so that we can enjoy a nice Spring breeze.
Spring breeze? In December? Yep, and I love it.

I love my state.

Don Manning

Old December 31st 04, 11:56 PM

Similar in Arkansas =) Like today's weather... BEAUTIFUL!!

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

Old January 1st 05, 12:40 AM
Stuart&Janet

Well it was about 10 degrees C here in Ontario today. Everyone here gets all excited " hey
it's going to be 10 degrees today!" they all exclaim. Problem is when it is that
temperature here in Dec/Jan it is rainy damp and foggy as hell. Frankly, I'd rather have
it cold and dry. I did an oil change on my little commuter Escort today and it was colder
than a witches nipple with the dampness and the cold wet breeze plus all the wet crap on
my garage floor made it rather fun! I hear Oklahoma has bad ice storms from time to
time(?) I have a bud in Okla. City. StuK

m...

Old January 1st 05, 02:15 AM
Claud Spinks

What part of the state do you live in? When I was a kid, Lawton (Fort
Sill) was our "home" base. Lived there 3 times for a total of 9 years.
Claud

Old January 1st 05, 02:22 AM
Lonnie

Here in Kansas we are remembered for Dorothy and her little dog Toto from

Old January 1st 05, 02:51 AM
2.3Sleeper

"Lonnie" > wrote in message
> Here in Kansas we are remembered for Dorothy and her little dog Toto from
> "The Wizard Of Oz". I'd much rather be known for tornados.

But people associate the reneck they see on TV being interviewed with the
tornado's.

Don Manning

Old January 1st 05, 02:53 AM
2.3Sleeper

"Stuart&Janet" > wrote in message
> Well it was about 10 degrees C here in Ontario today. Everyone here gets

all excited " hey
> it's going to be 10 degrees today!" they all exclaim. Problem is when it

is that
> temperature here in Dec/Jan it is rainy damp and foggy as hell. Frankly,

I'd rather have
> it cold and dry. I did an oil change on my little commuter Escort today

and it was colder
> than a witches nipple with the dampness and the cold wet breeze plus all

the wet crap on
> my garage floor made it rather fun! I hear Oklahoma has bad ice storms

from time to
> time(?)

2 years ago, we had like a 2 or 3 day ice storm. 30k or 40k without power.
The day after the storm was when I wentto pick up my GT. I almost could not
see to drive. The sun was brilliant and when it hit the ice, it was like
pure white light hitting you from every direction.

Don Manning

I have a bud in Okla. City. StuK

Old January 1st 05, 02:53 AM
2.3Sleeper

I am in Midwest City. About 2 minutes from Tinker Air Force Base.

Don Manning

Old January 1st 05, 03:57 AM
rw

Could it possibly be the saying on the license plate?

Old January 1st 05, 04:45 AM
Quiet Desperation

In article >, 2.3Sleeper
> wrote:

> We had a tornado at the end of October.

We just had one here in Long Beach, California. We had another one a
couple years ago that attacked a grocery store a half mile from my
house.

They tend not to be the blockbusters they get in the midwest, though.
Usually a few buildings get some roof damage or broken windows. They're
little ones.

The one they had downtown Miami a few years back made for some cool
video. You don't usually see tornados and high rise buildings in the
same frame.