Dana 44 may be bent?

Old March 4th 05, 09:57 PM
Troy

Default Dana 44 may be bent?

I got a used dana44 rear installed into my tj and when I look at it from a
distance I notice that the tires have negative camber I think it's called...
looks like this: /-\

It looks like its gonna wear my tires unevenly, and I took it to an
alignment shop and the guy said that there's no adjustment for the rear and
to just rotate my tires frequently.

Since there is no adjustment, I'm guessing the tubes are crooked in the
housing? Can they be bent back into shape?

The shop who did the swap was supposed to put in a detroit locker, but for
some reason put in the detroit truetrac. They're gonna fix it Monday, would
they have to take the rear off again to bend it back?

Old March 4th 05, 10:06 PM
Jeff Strickland

The axle does not need to be removed to swap out the TruTrac and put in the
locker. But, the shop would be able to explain why the axle isn't bent.

nk.net...

Old March 4th 05, 10:18 PM
Mike Romain

The vehicle it came out of was jumped in the air and came down hard
writing it off it would seem. That Dana 44 is total garbage, there is
no fixing it to be trustworthy again. That much impact has killed the
tube's socket seats even and it will never hold a bearing or seal again.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 4th 05, 10:29 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Troy,
I believe you're seeing an elusion with the bulge of the radial
tire on the ground, but you may double check it by crawling under and
taking an actual measurements near the tires and near the differential
housing. Or check for a bent axle by jacking the wheels off the ground
and spinning them along side a carpenters square, straight edge, they
may have forgot to tighten the lug nuts. Many times the rims won't fit
the centers of a Real axle.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 4th 05, 10:29 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

Did the alignment shop actually check the rear camber? True there is no
adjustment but if the axle is bent, tire wear is the least of your
problems...

nk.net...

Old March 4th 05, 10:32 PM
Rusted

Can a home user measure camber with any kind of accuracy? Makes me want to
double check mine.

Old March 4th 05, 10:45 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The most complex independent suspension may be aligned with just a
plumb bob, level, tape: http://www.stockcarproducts.com/tech1o.htm
http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/BackyardAlignment.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 4th 05, 10:56 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

Measure from wheel rim to wheel rim, top and bottom. The measurements should
be the same.

Old March 4th 05, 11:00 PM
Rusted

is 0 degree caster correct for a rear axle on a CJ? and 4 degree in the
front??

Old March 4th 05, 11:10 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

http://www.billhughes.com/CJalignment.jpg