Why Citi Group, but not GM

Old November 24th 08, 05:54 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.misc
C. E. White[_1_]

Default Why Citi Group, but not GM

Seems the Republicans are more than willing to give Citi Group as much
money as they want, but won't lend GM a dime....where is the fairness
in that?

Having dealt with Citi credit cards, I can assure you anything bad you
can say about GM is a drop in the pocket compared to Citi Group's
dishonest practices. Citi Group is one of the financial organizations
that is directly responsible for the current financial crisis.

As I see it the Republicans are punishing Detroit automakers as a
roundabout way of whacking the UAW. They are willing to risk
destroying a major US industry because the UAW is in the Democrat's
pocket. They forget that UAW members have helped get many Republicans
elected despite the wishes of the UAW fat cats. And come Democrats
[Pelosi] are willing to let the Detroit three go under because they
are short sighted and stupid. They figure the Japanese will build the
cars they want us to have, if they have to let us have cars at all.

Ed

Old November 24th 08, 06:33 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.misc
Tim[_16_]

C. E. White wrote:
> Seems the Republicans are more than willing to give Citi Group as much
> money as they want, but won't lend GM a dime....where is the fairness in
> that?
>
> Having dealt with Citi credit cards, I can assure you anything bad you
> can say about GM is a drop in the pocket compared to Citi Group's
> dishonest practices. Citi Group is one of the financial organizations
> that is directly responsible for the current financial crisis.
>
> As I see it the Republicans are punishing Detroit automakers as a
> roundabout way of whacking the UAW. They are willing to risk destroying
> a major US industry because the UAW is in the Democrat's pocket. They
> forget that UAW members have helped get many Republicans elected despite
> the wishes of the UAW fat cats. And come Democrats [Pelosi] are willing
> to let the Detroit three go under because they are short sighted and
> stupid. They figure the Japanese will build the cars they want us to
> have, if they have to let us have cars at all.
>
> Ed

Who contributes to Republican election campaigns. I think someone should
be doing some research.
Old November 24th 08, 07:00 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.misc
HLS

"C. E. White" > wrote in message
> Seems the Republicans are more than willing to give Citi Group as much
> money as they want, but won't lend GM a dime....where is the fairness in
> that?

Life isnt fair always, Ed. The effect of a failure of Citi Group on the
global
economy would be far more disastrous than the failure of GM, frankly.

I think that the government will eventually choose to help GM, and the
others,
but those ****teaux's had better come in with a plan and an attitude change.

Old November 24th 08, 07:20 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.misc
C. E. White[_1_]

"Roger Blake" > wrote in message
> On 2008-11-24, C. E. White > wrote:
>> Seems the Republicans are more than willing to give Citi Group as
>> much
>> money as they want, but won't lend GM a dime....where is the
>> fairness
>> in that?

> Under what provision of the U.S. Constitution would the Republicans
> be authorized to bail out either? Or do you believe "the end
> justifies
> the means" (a very slippery slope indeed) and government should just
> do whatever the hell it wants whenever it wants whether lawful or
> not?

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties,
Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common
Defence and general Welfare of the United States.....

Ed

Old November 24th 08, 07:26 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.misc
Mike Hunter[_2_]

That may be your opinion but what CitiBank charges its card customer is
clearly stated when on receives their card. Those fees may be what the are
but they are dishonest

I have a CitiBank card and I do not pay them a penny. All one needs do is
pay the accumulated monthly balance and they will pay you 3% rebate

Old November 24th 08, 07:29 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.misc
Tim[_16_]

HLS wrote:

> "C. E. White" > wrote in message
>> Seems the Republicans are more than willing to give Citi Group as much
>> money as they want, but won't lend GM a dime....where is the fairness
>> in that?

> Life isnt fair always, Ed. The effect of a failure of Citi Group on
> the global
> economy would be far more disastrous than the failure of GM, frankly.
>
> I think that the government will eventually choose to help GM, and the
> others,
> but those ****teaux's had better come in with a plan and an attitude
> change.

The Senators have created this whole banking problem not to mention the
US auto industry problem.
They allow all of these cars to come into the country from third world
countries and expect workers to compete in wages. How stupid are they or
don't they care about Joe Six Pack?
Old November 24th 08, 07:52 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.misc
Mike Hunter[_2_]

Looks like my big fingers got me in trouble again

I meant to say; Those fees may be what the are, but they are NOT dishonest

Old November 24th 08, 08:04 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.misc
C. E. White[_1_]

"Mike Hunter" <mikehunt2@lycos/com> wrote in message
> That may be your opinion but what CitiBank charges its card customer
> is clearly stated when on receives their card. Those fees may be
> what the are but they are dishonest

Stating excessive fees does not make them fair, particualrly if you
when you change the rules on a long time Customer with a large balance
that they can't pay off immeadiatley (which is not my problem, I never
run a balance). I can live with that, even if I think it is a
disgusting buisness practice. What angered me was when they
significantly reduced the grace period before payment was due and
printed the due date in miniscule letters directly above the
perforations on the part you return. In my opinion, this was done with
the intent of causing some people to miss the due date, to allow
CitiBank to collect ridiculously high late fees (and interest). And
then when I mailed them a compalint about this shady practice, with
the check attached, they responded to the complaint and cashed the
check, but then claimed the check was late, even though their repsonse
letter was mailed days before the paytment was due. They also make it
clear that THEY are not responsible for slow or misdelivered mail, but
that YOU are. So if your bill from them gets lost in the mail and
never shows up, or it shows up very late, it is your problem. If your
payment is mailed on time and gets lost or delayed in the mail, they
still blame you, even if you can provide proof of when the payment was
mailed. I still ahve a CitiCard, but avoid using it. I have other
cards that provide the same benefits with a lot less drama.

> I have a CitiBank card and I do not pay them a penny. All one needs
> do is pay the accumulated monthly balance and they will pay you 3%
> rebate

So will many other credit card companies. Citi Bank should be allowed
to crash and burn as far as I am concerned. I want them to send my
portion of the billions they are going send to Citi Bank to GM
instead.

Ed

Old November 24th 08, 08:23 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.misc
HLS

"Tim" > wrote in message news:ce0a5$492b00ac$cef8ac46
> The Senators have created this whole banking problem not to mention the US
> auto industry problem.
> They allow all of these cars to come into the country from third world
> countries and expect workers to compete in wages. How stupid are they or
> don't they care about Joe Six Pack?

The decision was made a long time ago that protectionism was negative to the
US and world economy.

If you shut off third world autos and parts, you would be sticking it to GM,
Ford,
and Chrysler as well.

Congress did not cause this problem. (They are worth damn little,
admittedly, but
the car companies did this to themselves)

Old November 24th 08, 08:24 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.misc
HLS

"C. E. White" > wrote in message
> The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts
> and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and
> general Welfare of the United States.....
>
> Ed

Er, it might be stretched paper thin to make that clause work, but the
Supreme
Court, George Bush, and the Congress have made just such stretches of
fantasy
in recent times.