Older BMW 328is or Newer Chevy Impala?

Old January 28th 06, 08:00 PM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.gm

Default Older BMW 328is or Newer Chevy Impala?

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I drive back & forth to work each day (60 miles a day round trip) and
> have a budget of $15,000. I've narrowed down my decision to 2
> possibilities and want to make a move tonight.
>
> I can buy a 1998 BMW 328is with 80,000 miles for $15,000.
>
> Or I can buy a 2005 Chevy Impala with 18,000 miles for $15,000.
>
> I've driven both vehicles and like them both.

According to Kellys Blue Book, the BMW is overpriced by quite a bit.
http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.u...ucp;&9;BM ;AS

I like the typical quality of the BMW engines, but don't know about the
automatic
transmission. I felt that some of the older BMW 3 series were a little
lacking where
body integrity (paint, mostly, but some panel issues too) was involved.

If I could get the manual transmission BMW for about $10,000, I might just
do that
and save the $5000 for eventual repairs and maintenance.

Given the current perception of GM quality, I would likely dodge the
Impala.

Old January 28th 06, 09:04 PM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.gm

Default american cars suck!

If you are content in the Impala, and the BMW is not "really better to
drive" (the impression you give), then maybe you should get the Impala!
BMW's are for enthusiasts that feel the difference, which some people don't.
For those of us who do, there is no substitute.
The 328 will outlast the Impala by far.
The driving pleasure it offers is tremendous and you will
likely realize it soon enough if driving 60 miles a day!
But it is overpriced, find a 5 speed or an auto that has been maintained
(lifetime fluid is not really for the lifetime of the car!)
I am selling a 540, 1994 with 125k miles for 7k, super condition! way better
than the 328, half the $$! keep looking.
With a bimmer, you NEED an independant mechanic that specializes in BMW, or
you will be sorry! They are easy to fix also, if you have some wrenching
capabilities.

Old January 29th 06, 12:19 AM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.gm

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I drive back & forth to work each day (60 miles a day round trip) and
> have a budget of $15,000. I've narrowed down my decision to 2
> possibilities and want to make a move tonight.
>
> I can buy a 1998 BMW 328is with 80,000 miles for $15,000.
>
> Or I can buy a 2005 Chevy Impala with 18,000 miles for $15,000.

Get the BMW and never look back.

Old January 29th 06, 01:35 AM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.gm

wrote:
> I drive back & forth to work each day (60 miles a day round trip) and
> have a budget of $15,000. I've narrowed down my decision to 2
> possibilities and want to make a move tonight.
>
> I can buy a 1998 BMW 328is with 80,000 miles for $15,000.
>
> Or I can buy a 2005 Chevy Impala with 18,000 miles for $15,000.
>
> I've driven both vehicles and like them both.
>
> The BMW has a more expensive, smooth feel to it. I know that BMW is
> well manufactured and will probably last at least until 300,000 miles.
> The car is in immaculate condition, the owner was the original and only
> brought it in to trade it for a new BMW.
>
> The Impala is almost brand new and low on miles. It has more interior
> room, room to stretch out. I've done some research on the Impala and
> they all say this is a car that is well manufactured, but I don't have
> any real experience to know if the '05 will stand the test of time.
>
> Which would you buy in this situation? My biggest concern on the BMW
> are repairs. If this 328is breaks down I would most likely have to pay
> more to get it fixed than I would the Impala. How much more to fix a
> BMW than an American car, on average? I also need to know if the 328is
> is one of the BMWs that have mechanical defects or will not last, I've
> read of a few older BMW models not being very strong on reliability
> over 100,000 miles.
>
> Respond to group, thanks.

A choice between a BMW vs. an Impala is really laughable. Of course you
get the BMW. They are not even the same class vehicle. its apples and
oranges. Anyway, if you are going to be driving a lot you get the
luxury car not the family or sporty car.

I would expect cost over the long haul to be about even.

--
Thank you,

Old January 29th 06, 02:27 PM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.gm

"SO" > wrote in message

> "Somebody." > wrote in message
> et.ca...
>>
>> Also, the OP sited room to stretch out as a reason to consider the Impala
>> over the E39. Why on earth would he want to fold himself in half to cram
>> into a civic?
>>
>> -Russ.

> Actually, the debate was between an Impala and a 328. The 328 is over
> priced--should be something in the range of $7,000-9,500, not $15,000.
>
> In regard to cramming yourself in a Civic, I drive a 50 mile commute every
> day in a Z4 because I can afford the Z4. If I only had in the range of
> $15,000 to spend, I'd get something like a new Civic, which I've driven
> and it isn't the Civic of 20 years, or even one year ago. I don't feel
> crammed in either car (as you can't drive any car sitting in the back
> seat, anyway).
>
> Scott O.

I have no idea how I translated a 328 into a 528 in my head but that is in
fact what I did. So point taken there. :-)

A very new Civic isn't much smaller in the front seat than a E46 actually,
so I will have to withdraw that part of it. I greatly prefer the layout and
feel of the E46 interior mind you, but strictly looking at space, it's not
that different.

I have driven last year's civic, which I wouldn't take over my E30 never
mind the E46, but I've heard that the 2006 Civic is vastly improved. It
seemed a rediculous thing to put against an E39 and an Impala, only slightly
less so against the E46 and the Impala, but front seat room would not be the
part of it that's rediculous.

Given the choice between the Impala and the Civic, I would probably take the
Civic. American cars have this interesting way of seeming nice on a test
drive -- lots of power, lots of room, lots of features, comfy seating... but
you don't get to really explore the handling and brakes on a test drive and
you realise how uncomfortable the seats become after the first hour. You
fall out of love with them quickly. Whereas any BMW I've ever driven I've
liked more and more as I spent time with it. There are a lot of die hard
civic fans out there so I suspect the same is true of them. You don't see a
lot of die hard Impala fans. :-)

-Russ.

Old January 29th 06, 02:31 PM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.gm

"Rick Brandt" > wrote in message
> Somebody. wrote:
>> Also, the OP sited room to stretch out as a reason to consider the
>> Impala over the E39. Why on earth would he want to fold himself in
>> half to cram into a civic?
>>
>> -Russ.

> According to InternetAutoGuid.Com...
>
> Front Headroom
> 2005 Civic 37.8 inches
> 1998 BMW 3 series 37.8 inches
>
> Front Leg Room
> Civic 42.2 inches
> BMW 32.72 inches
>
> Front Shoulder Room
> Civic 53.1 inches
> BMW 53.19 inches
>
> I was incorrect about the airbag. For some reason I was thinking of an
> 1989 BMW not a 1998.

That's ok, I was thinking of a 528 (E39) not a 328 (E46). :-) Maybe we
should both read before posting, lol.

Still, even the lowly 3 series has had airbags basically standard since
1991, long before the Civic. ABS basically standard since 1988. Japan does
*not* lead Germany in safety advances very often.

(I say basically because you could probably still order a 316 or something
in Europe without it, but in NA they were standard equipmenet which you
perhaps could delete by choice)

-Russ.

Old January 29th 06, 02:51 PM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.gm

Somebody. wrote:
[snip]
> Still, even the lowly 3 series has had airbags basically standard
> since 1991, long before the Civic. ABS basically standard since
> 1988. Japan does *not* lead Germany in safety advances very often.
>
> (I say basically because you could probably still order a 316 or
> something in Europe without it, but in NA they were standard
> equipmenet which you perhaps could delete by choice)
>
> -Russ.

Just to clarify...I personally would not choose a Civic over the beemer either.
I just bristle at the notion conveyed that anyone driving a Civic (or any other
smaller) car must have no concern for their own safety. This idea has been
largely put forth by people who drive large vehicles and feel guilty about it so
they try to assuage their guilt by claiming "safety" is the reason they drive
what they drive. I say drive what you want, just don't blow smoke up my ass
about why you made your choice.

Old January 29th 06, 02:52 PM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.gm

> Even if the other cars would provide somewhat more protection than the
> Civic that does not equate to someone "not valuing their life" because
> they drive a Civic. A new Civic has a five star rating on front impacts
> (same as the Impala) and both of those are going to have multiple air bags
> compared to the beemer which would likely have none being that old.

My '91 E30 has one air bag, the '98 should have at least 2

Matt

Old January 29th 06, 05:19 PM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.gm

"SharkmanBMW" > wrote in message
.. .
> If you are content in the Impala, and the BMW is not "really better to
> drive" (the impression you give), then maybe you should get the Impala!
> BMW's are for enthusiasts that feel the difference, which some people

don't.
> For those of us who do, there is no substitute.
> The 328 will outlast the Impala by far.
> The driving pleasure it offers is tremendous and you will
> likely realize it soon enough if driving 60 miles a day!
> But it is overpriced, find a 5 speed or an auto that has been maintained
> (lifetime fluid is not really for the lifetime of the car!)
> I am selling a 540, 1994 with 125k miles for 7k, super condition! way

better
> than the 328, half the $$! keep looking.
> With a bimmer, you NEED an independant mechanic that specializes in BMW,

or
> you will be sorry! They are easy to fix also, if you have some wrenching
> capabilities.

+1 on this opinion.
If one is having second thoughts between 328i and some American wreck then
there is no doubt; he should buy this Impala car wannabe. Nothing personal,
but if you don't know why you are buying a BMW then you better not buy it,
you will be disappointed.
It's not like you are comparing two similar cars; BMW isn't some gas thirsty
ugly car without handling like 95% of American car industry (nus)products.

--
328i coupe