Fuel Gauge problem

Old June 10th 10, 02:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Richard[_18_]

Default Fuel Gauge problem

2003 Explorer XLT 4.0L 60K miles

My fuel gauge has quit working. A few weeks ago after filling up
the gauge took a few min. to go back up to full. This fill up it
pegged below empty then after a day or so it went back up to almost
1/4. However it has not moved since then, but I haven't drove much
either. The fuel seems to be pumping fine, or at least the truck runs
fine at any throttle level.
I checked the newsgroup but I didn't find any answers. Does
anyone have any experience with this?

I haven't posted on here for a while, it's good to see some of the
same ones still here!

Richard Grimes
'99 Explorer
'01 F150
'03 Explorer
'03 Ranger
all different colors and all sitting in the driveway!
Old June 11th 10, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
CWLee

"Richard" > wrote:

> My fuel gauge has quit working. A few weeks ago after
> filling up
> the gauge took a few min. to go back up to full. This
> fill up it
> pegged below empty then after a day or so it went back up
> to almost
> 1/4. However it has not moved since then, but I haven't
> drove much
> either. The fuel seems to be pumping fine, or at least
> the truck runs
> fine at any throttle level.
> I checked the newsgroup but I didn't find any answers.
> Does
> anyone have any experience with this?

This is not a definitive answer, but I had such a problem in
one of my Explorers (either '99 or '00) and it went away
right after I replaced the battery. My simple mind thinks a
weak battery didn't provide enough "juice" to bring the
needle up right away, but that the new one did. If you find
a better explanation/solution to your problem please post it
here for others.

Old June 11th 10, 01:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
PeterD

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:36:07 -0700, "CWLee"
> wrote:

>"Richard" > wrote:
>
>> My fuel gauge has quit working. A few weeks ago after
>> filling up
>> the gauge took a few min. to go back up to full. This
>> fill up it
>> pegged below empty then after a day or so it went back up
>> to almost
>> 1/4. However it has not moved since then, but I haven't
>> drove much
>> either. The fuel seems to be pumping fine, or at least
>> the truck runs
>> fine at any throttle level.
>> I checked the newsgroup but I didn't find any answers.
>> Does
>> anyone have any experience with this?

>This is not a definitive answer, but I had such a problem in
>one of my Explorers (either '99 or '00) and it went away
>right after I replaced the battery. My simple mind thinks a
>weak battery didn't provide enough "juice" to bring the
>needle up right away, but that the new one did. If you find
>a better explanation/solution to your problem please post it
>here for others.

More likely the changing of the battery reset the computer which
buffers the fuel gauge signal...

Old June 14th 10, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Richard[_18_]

On Jun 9, 9:50*pm, Richard > wrote:
> 2003 Explorer XLT *4.0L * *60K miles
>
> * *My fuel gauge has quit working. *A few weeks ago after filling up
> the gauge took a few min. to go back up to full. *This fill up it
> pegged below empty then after a day or so it went back up to almost
> 1/4. * However it has not moved since then, but I haven't drove much
> either. *The fuel seems to be pumping fine, or at least the truck runs
> fine at any throttle level.
> * *I checked the newsgroup but I didn't find any answers. * Does
> anyone have any experience with this?
>
> * I haven't posted on here for a while, it's good to see some of the
> same ones still here!
>
> Richard Grimes
> '99 Explorer
> '01 F150
> '03 Explorer
> '03 Ranger
> all different colors and all sitting in the driveway!

Well, I know it is not "fixed" but it did start working again. Go
figure.....

Fuel Gauge Problem Hawaiian Technology 3 September 1st 08 05:44 AM
A4 Fuel gauge problem Sime Audi 1 February 1st 06 04:48 PM
Fuel gauge problem solved (not gauge) Karls Vladimir Peña VW air cooled 4 September 14th 05 02:47 AM
98' Jetta fuel quantity gauge and coolant temp gauge problem. Paynter7378 VW water cooled 1 March 7th 05 01:59 PM