96 EX V6 intermittent AC cooling.

Old June 3rd 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
KR

Default 96 EX V6 intermittent AC cooling.

On Jun 2, 3:13 pm, "IB" > wrote:
> > Update: I checked the red clutch/coil lead in "failed" mode & I still
> > had battery voltage which proves my relay is fine. I then forced the
> > clutch against the rotating pressure plate (exciting - I recommend a
> > thin wooden stick/pole - less sparks than metal) & lo & behold, it
> > engaged. The gap is out of spec - not by a huge amount but it is
> > bigger than the outside tolerance. I guess that over time the natural
> > progression is for everything to wear & loosen to a wider gap.
> > So, it seems clear I need to pull the clutch & remove some shims.
> > I've never messed with a compressor clutch & there is precious little
> > clearance from the end of the clutch to the inner fender - maybe
> > 3/4". I'm not sure what I'm getting into here. I don't think there
> > is enough clearance without pulling the compressor & then I'm not sure
> > you could do it without evacuating the system? Can you do this with
> > the compressor in place or must it be removed? I'm wondering if I
> > might be better off to take it to a reliable mechanic & have them do
> > this. I wouldn't expect there to be too much to it for them....maybe
> > 1 hour labor or something like that? Any opinions or experience on
> > this? Thanks again.

> Ok, looks like we diagnosed it. If you can get to the nut / bolt on the end
> of the compressor, try loosening it - you may need to arrange something to
> lock the clutch plate from turning. Then, if you have enough space, you
> should be able to remove the clutch plate, and you should find some shims
> which can be removed.
>
> If you don't have enough space the compressor must come off, which means
> regassing.
>
> www.poolecool.co.uk

The only way to get at the end center bolt is to dismount the
compressor from the mounting bracket & move it around as much as I can
within a limited space. Just for grins I tried to test the coil
resistance. I'm using 2 Micronta meters & I'm getting right at 3 ohms
from on1 & 3.25 ohms from the other. These aren't expensive meters so
I know I can't expect high accuracy. If a coil was getting weaker,
would the resistance increase or decrease? Also, I'm not sure what
the spec is for this coil. I have a shop manual for a 96 4 cyl that
states 3.6 +- .2 ohms. I have a 96 V6 & I've already found some
differences between the AC systems. Does anybody know what the clutch
coil resistance should be on a 96 EX V6? Thanks.