British traffic signal lights

Old July 24th 05, 03:06 PM
Pooh Bear

Dave wrote:

> Pooh Bear wrote:
>
> > > Mine is labelled as a parking brake, and I've never had to use mine
> > > except when my master cylander died in a 20 year old car.

> > Clearly you're not in the UK then. I was referring to the UK driving test. Pls pay
> > attention to the thread. It has *British* in it.

> So everyone in the UK drives a car in such disrepair they can't just
> use their normal brakes?

You're either trolling or can't read what's been said.

In the UK ( in a car with manual transmission ) you use the brake pedal to brake when in
motion and set the parking brake when stationary for more than say a few seconds. You can
hold the car with the footbrake for sure but if it's for long - such as waiting for lights
to change and you're on a hill it makes more sense and feels more comfortable to use the
parking ( hand ) brake.

Of course if you have an auto box you can select P or wastefully burn fuel in gear.

Graham

Old July 24th 05, 09:21 PM
Pooh Bear

Old July 24th 05, 10:41 PM
Dave

Pooh Bear wrote:

> You're either trolling or can't read what's been said.
>
> In the UK ( in a car with manual transmission ) you use the brake pedal to brake when in
> motion and set the parking brake when stationary for more than say a few seconds. You can
> hold the car with the footbrake for sure but if it's for long - such as waiting for lights
> to change and you're on a hill it makes more sense and feels more comfortable to use the
> parking ( hand ) brake.

Ummm, so it's a personal preference thing then? I just don't
understand why you give a **** if someone uses a pedal brake at a
light. It's 20 or 30 seconds, why does it really matter what brake
they use? If nothing else, at least the pedal brake lets a bad driver
behind you be certain you're stopped.

I've been in cars in the US with a number of different British drivers,
and not one used their parking brake at stop lights. Same for several
Australians/New Zealanders I've been in cars with.

And as far as the auto comment, I drive an auto and haven't noticed any
fuel usage difference between putting my car in N or leaving it in D at
stops, I've checked.

Dave

Old July 25th 05, 12:14 AM
Old Wolf

Dave wrote:

> Ummm, so it's a personal preference thing then? I just don't
> understand why you give a **** if someone uses a pedal brake at a
> light. It's 20 or 30 seconds, why does it really matter what brake
> they use? If nothing else, at least the pedal brake lets a bad driver
> behind you be certain you're stopped.
>
> I've been in cars in the US with a number of different British drivers,
> and not one used their parking brake at stop lights. Same for several
> Australians/New Zealanders I've been in cars with.

What's your sample space? 80% of the cars in NZ are automatic,
I would guess.

I use the handbrake 75% of the time for a hill start. The only
exceptions are if I anticipate the lights are about to go green
(in which case I ride the clutch), or if the hill is so shallow
that I can jump my foot from the brake to the throttle with no
possibility of trouble.

Even then, it is safer to use the handbrake and have no pedals
depressed (as well as being a rest for your legs), and I was
taught to do that in my official driving lessons. I know a guy
who was stopped at lights using your method, and suddenly
sneezed and involuntarily let up the clutch, causing him to
hit the guy in front.

Also I bet I could take off from a stationary position with
the handbrake on, far faster than you could with your foot on
the regular brake (since that was the original topic under
discussion). Even an automatic with LFB would be faster than
your method.

> And as far as the auto comment, I drive an auto and haven't noticed any
> fuel usage difference between putting my car in N or leaving it in D at
> stops, I've checked.

What method are you using of measuring the difference?
An accurate way would be to drain your tank, put in a measured
amount of fuel, then idle until it runs out. Repeat, but stand
on the brake in D until it runs out. Compare times.

Old July 25th 05, 01:29 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, Dave wrote:

> I've been in cars in the US with a number of different British drivers,
> and not one used their parking brake at stop lights. Same for several
> Australians/New Zealanders I've been in cars with.

What's your point? I've been in cars in the US with a number of different
British, Australian, Kiwi and South African drivers, and none of them
drove on the left side of the street.
Old July 25th 05, 05:52 AM
Dave

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, Dave wrote:
>
> > I've been in cars in the US with a number of different British drivers,
> > and not one used their parking brake at stop lights. Same for several
> > Australians/New Zealanders I've been in cars with.

> What's your point? I've been in cars in the US with a number of different
> British, Australian, Kiwi and South African drivers, and none of them
> drove on the left side of the street.

My point is why do people give a **** how someone stops their car? Are
their eyes that offended by red lights? Or do they just want to run
other people's lives for no good reason?

The conversation started as people saying you have to use your
handbrake while driving, but nobody's listed one reason to do so after
their driver's test other than if you're an idiot you could damage your
car. But, if you're an idiot you might also forget to release the
parking brake.

I guess some people feel they can't get off the line fast enough
without using their handbrake, but I don't race so that's not a real
concern to me.

Dave

Old July 25th 05, 04:49 PM
Jan Kalin

In article >, Pooh Bear wrote:

>Harry K wrote:
>
>> Pooh Bear wrote:
>> > wrote:

>> <snip>

>> > How often do you have your clutch plate replaced doing that ? Holding a car on
>> > the clutch on a hill for any length of time instead of applying the handbrake is
>> > plain berserk.
>> >
>> > Graham

>> He said nothing at all about -holding- the car on the hill with the
>> clutch, only moving off.

>Somewhere in this thread, one of the posters definitely mentioned *not* using the
>handbrake *even on a hill*. That therefore implies holding the car on the clutch.

Uhm, the middle pedal is the brake pedal. It doesn't stop working on inclined
surfaces...

--
/"\ Jan Kalin (male, preferred languages: Slovene, English)
\ /
Old July 25th 05, 05:06 PM
Pooh Bear

Jan Kalin wrote:

> Uhm, the middle pedal is the brake pedal. It doesn't stop working on inclined
> surfaces...

Fine - you bring the vehicle to a halt using the footbrake.

To drive off in a vehicle with manual transmission you need to use the accelerator and
clutch.

If you know of a way of holding the car braked on a hill whilst using the accelerator
and clutch that doesn't involve 3 feet please let me know !

Any intelligent person sets the handbrake on a hill after coming to a halt. Thereafter
you don't need to use the brake pedal.

To set off - engage gear, apply a slight amount of accelerator whilst releasing the
clutch and disengaging the handbrake. It's second nature when you've learnt to drive
properly.

Graham