Are MPG ratings much less accurate then they used to be?

Old July 24th 05, 06:57 AM
gary

I thought the ratings were done on a flat road on the moon where there is
1/7th the gravity in order to get those MPG results.

I never thought they were very accurate, I only use them to compare one
vehicle with another to get a relative ranking when I do a vehicle purchase.

Old July 24th 05, 06:59 AM
gary

I remember way back when I used to do my own tune up, timing and all. Now I
don't even recognize what is under the hood.

news

Old July 24th 05, 01:41 PM
Matt Whiting

gary wrote:

> I thought the ratings were done on a flat road on the moon where there is
> 1/7th the gravity in order to get those MPG results.
>
> I never thought they were very accurate, I only use them to compare one
> vehicle with another to get a relative ranking when I do a vehicle purchase.

It depends on your driving conditions. Every vehicle I've owned in the
last 20 years has obtained within 10% of the EPA ratings. I drive a mix
of highway and city, but mostly highway (80%). I tend to get very close
to the EPA highway ratings and almost never get anywhere near the lower
city ratings.

Matt
Old July 24th 05, 02:04 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, gary wrote:

> I thought the ratings were done on a flat road on the moon where there
> is 1/7th the gravity in order to get those MPG results.

The difficulty is in the stackup of assumptions and calculation margins.
The MPG protocol, believe it or don't, amounts more or less to "Let's see,
we measured *about* such-and-such percent HC and CO in the exhaust, and
the catalytic converter efficiency is *about* such-and-such percent, so we
can assume that *about* such-and-such amount of CO and HC is coming off
the manifold, which would mean that *about* such-and-such an amount of
fuel was burned".

Never mind that simply measuring the liquid volume of fuel before and
after the vehicle is run is considerably easier, more direct, more precise
and more accurate, that's not how it's done.
Old July 24th 05, 02:08 PM
tim bur

they are not far off problem is people do not go the 55 mph the calulations
were done at
they still use the old standard of 55mph being the national speed limit and one
i feel we need to go bac to so gas starts to stack up at the refineries and
watch how fast the price comes down

Old July 24th 05, 09:19 PM
gary

"I can't drive ... 55"

Gary

"tim bur" > wrote in message
> they are not far off problem is people do not go the 55 mph the
> calulations
> were done at
> they still use the old standard of 55mph being the national speed limit
> and one
> i feel we need to go bac to so gas starts to stack up at the refineries
> and
> watch how fast the price comes down
>
> gary wrote:
>
>> I thought the ratings were done on a flat road on the moon where there is
>> 1/7th the gravity in order to get those MPG results.
>>
>> I never thought they were very accurate, I only use them to compare one
>> vehicle with another to get a relative ranking when I do a vehicle
>> purchase.
>>
>> "wraithyjeep" > wrote in message
>> > Actually MPG is determined by unused energy that is left in the
>> > emissions
>> > it is a chemical analysis with factors of weight and other physics that
>> > overall determines the MPG all this is done on a dyno. in a very
>> > controlled lab.
>> > I used to know the formula (sorry be awhile since I worked in the lab)
>> > the only way to truly achieve the listed MPG is with a lot of down hill
>> > driving.
>> >

>> > "General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message
>> > news >> >> When I bought my old Concorde in 94 the MPG ratings were pretty much

USGP Farce - hit them in their ratings chart mcewena Simulators 6 June 24th 05 10:52 PM
Green Weenie SUV ratings HarryS Jeep 3 April 6th 05 02:24 AM
Safety ratings of classic VWs... [email protected] VW water cooled 4 March 28th 05 10:42 PM
New AI ratings for NR03 for 2005? TlgtrProd Simulators 0 January 26th 05 03:32 PM