YJ Clutch

Old July 24th 05, 04:58 AM
Carl Saiyed

Default YJ Clutch

Burned the poo out of my clutch in my 89 YJ today. It's a 2.5L on 33's with
4.10's. Reccomendations on a new clutch? Centerforce? Do I need to resurface
the flywheel? Tips?

Thanks

Carl

Old July 24th 05, 05:27 AM
Carl Saiyed

Will this clutch do the job?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=79 88240183

I found a centerforce for $230 without throwout bearing..

Carl

Old July 24th 05, 05:53 AM
Carl Saiyed

I also remember reading about removing material from the flywheel to make it
lighter and increase power. Any truth to this?

Old July 24th 05, 07:10 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Yes, if you have power, but if you're low on it to begin with, then
you go heavier like the stock Real Jeep V6 uses fifty pounds to store
energy: http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/clutch/inertiaring/
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 24th 05, 03:50 PM
RoyJ

You should always consider resurfacing the flywheel when you do a clutch
job, especially if you smoked the clutch badly (smoke pouring out) or it
was chattering before it died. Inspect the wear surface, see if it has
groves, surface checks, or one side deeper than the other. Typically
they only take off .020" to .050" so there is very little change in the
critical dimensions.

A good auto machine shop can clean it up in a few minutes, $25 to $50
range. Good insurance to keep you from having to do it agian shortly.

Old July 24th 05, 10:17 PM
Ruel Smith

> Burned the poo out of my clutch in my 89 YJ today. It's a 2.5L on 33's
> with
> 4.10's. Reccomendations on a new clutch? Centerforce? Do I need to
> resurface
> the flywheel? Tips?

Centerforce is good. Yes, you should always resurface the flywheel, IMO,
just as you should generally do for your brake rotors. Your clutch will like
it better with a fresh surface.

Old July 24th 05, 10:34 PM
Jerry Bransford

There is NO benefit to the overhyped Centerforce clutch for a
low-revving engine like a Jeep engine. Its design is meant for high-RPM
high-HP engines so it locks up firmer at high RPMs it won't slip from
enormous HP engines.

For the $$$, it's REAL hard to beat either the OE clutch or one from
Luk, who makes the OE clutch. Heck, after being smoked many times while
rock crawling, my TJ's clutch is still going strong with 154K miles on
it. If I don't swap in an automatic trannie when my clutch finally
goes, I'll install either another OE or probably a Luk which is
available pretty cheaply on the Internet.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old July 25th 05, 01:53 AM
Carl Saiyed

I found a Luk clutch for $170 at
http://www.dialaclutch.com/dac-demo/dosearch.asp .
Is this a good price?

Old July 25th 05, 04:01 AM
Ruel Smith

> There is NO benefit to the overhyped Centerforce clutch for a low-revving
> engine like a Jeep engine. Its design is meant for high-RPM high-HP
> engines so it locks up firmer at high RPMs it won't slip from enormous HP
> engines.

Centerforce makes other clutches besides the Dual Friction model...

Old July 25th 05, 02:21 PM
jeff

Carl Saiyed wrote:
> I also remember reading about removing material from the flywheel to make it
> lighter and increase power. Any truth to this?
>
> Carl

The OE clutch should be fine. As far as resurfacing, take the minimum
cut to clean the surface. A heavy cut, as to lightening it, will require
re-balancing the flywheel. Besides, for a Jeep heavier is better.

--
jeff

What now?? (Clutch slave again) Eric Jeep 11 May 29th 05 06:38 AM
Question about soggy clutch TLittle Technology 1 May 10th 05 05:44 PM
Wrong Clutch Fork? Michael White Jeep 6 February 8th 05 03:33 AM
Wacky Clutch Peter Pontbriand Jeep 14 December 19th 04 12:42 PM
Land Rover Series 3 Clutch bc 4x4 0 August 13th 04 03:36 PM