Americans are Imbeciles -- Speeders are SAFER drivers

Old September 9th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,us.politics
Mike Ross

Default Americans are Imbeciles -- Speeders are SAFER drivers

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 02:50:01 GMT, Speeders & Drunk Drivers are
MURDERERS > wrote:

>The problem is the light penalties here in america. Look at our
>first lady. She once killed a kid by her reckless driving and was
>never charged and nobody cares. In criminal-coddler america you just
>say the magic words "it was an accident" and nothing is done to you.

As a Brit living and driving in New York State for several years, I
would make two points:

1. Yes, Americans are by and large not great drivers - worse that
Brits, beyond doubt. When driving I repeat the 'seven minute mantra' -
I remind myself frequently that all these other drivers passed a
driving test that lasted seven minutes, and has something like a 95%
first-time pass rate. I do this in self-defence.

2. No, Americans are not by any means 'criminal-coddlers' - the
propensity of American courts to give jail time, even if relatively
short in some cases, to non-violent first-time offenders is bizarre to
European eyes, especially for some trivial offences. They can be quite
hard on drink-drivers too - prison is always an option even for first
time offenders, although they usually get probabtion instead - but the
probation conditions can be fierce; you are almost always banned from
drinking, any amount, any time, any place - and they test to make
sure, if you have a drink on probation you go to jail.

Mike
--
http://www.corestore.org
'As I walk along these shores