Aud A4 tdi turbo. lose of vacuum

Old September 11th 06, 07:37 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
tenmen

Default Aud A4 tdi turbo. lose of vacuum

I have just had the turbo repaired but the reason for it going in the
first place was that the vacuum was not working. The garage that is
repairing it can not find the problem

Old September 11th 06, 08:44 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Lignum

"tenmen" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have just had the turbo repaired but the reason for it going in the
> first place was that the vacuum was not working. The garage that is
> repairing it can not find the problem

Are you referring to the brake vacuum system, or do you mean something else?

Old September 11th 06, 10:00 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Chris Bartram[_1_]

Lignum wrote:
> "tenmen" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> I have just had the turbo repaired but the reason for it going in the
>> first place was that the vacuum was not working. The garage that is
>> repairing it can not find the problem
>>

> Are you referring to the brake vacuum system, or do you mean something else?

I'd imagine that's it, there's precious little vacuum elsewhere on a
diesel. There's a cam-driven vacuum pump that may have failed.
Old September 12th 06, 09:24 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
tenmen

Default Aud A4 tdi turbo 51 plate. lose of vacuum

Chris Bartram wrote:

> Lignum wrote:
> > "tenmen" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> >> I have just had the turbo repaired but the reason for it going in the
> >> first place was that the vacuum was not working. The garage that is
> >> repairing it can not find the problem
> >>

> > Are you referring to the brake vacuum system, or do you mean something else?
> >

> I'd imagine that's it, there's precious little vacuum elsewhere on a
> diesel. There's a cam-driven vacuum pump that may have failed.

All that he has said is that the turbo is now working ok but it was the
lose of vacuum in the first place that caused it to carbon up.So it
must be the engine vacuum

Old September 12th 06, 09:28 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
tenmen

Lignum wrote:

> "tenmen" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >I have just had the turbo repaired but the reason for it going in the
> > first place was that the vacuum was not working. The garage that is
> > repairing it can not find the problem
> >

> Are you referring to the brake vacuum system, or do you mean something else?

its the engine vacuum system that operates the engine turbo

Old September 12th 06, 08:04 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Lignum

"tenmen" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Lignum wrote:
>
>> "tenmen" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>> >I have just had the turbo repaired but the reason for it going in the
>> > first place was that the vacuum was not working. The garage that is
>> > repairing it can not find the problem
>> >

>> Are you referring to the brake vacuum system, or do you mean something
>> else?

> its the engine vacuum system that operates the engine turbo

I'm sorry but you've lost me there. The prime mover for the turbo is the
engine exhaust gases which spin a rotor and compress air by means of vanes
connected to the same shaft as the power turbine. In my basic knowledge of
these turbo systems there is also a dump valve which allows excessive
pressurised air to escape - but no vacuum. In fact there is such a shortage
of vacuum associated with a diesel engine that a vacuum pump has to be
installed, often driven from the engine camshaft, to provide vacuum for the
braking system - as already stated by Mr Bartam.

Diesels and vacuum are anathema and do not exist in the same universe.

Perhaps an explanation of the symptoms you originally experienced may help?