2000 Mazda Protege ES :Check engine light came on

Old September 26th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

Default 2000 Mazda Protege ES :Check engine light came on

Today, for very first time ever, the heck engine light
came on in my 2000 Mazda Protege ES with 115k mile on
it.

It doesn't seem to being running rough or anything.
matter of fact I cant tell ANY diff in the performance.

I've checked all the fluids and they seem OK.

Any advice on what it might be before I take it to the
dealer and they scalp me?

I want to add that last summer I had the timing belt,
tensioners, and water pump changed and a tune up as
well
Old September 26th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Check your owners manual, the CEL comes on for different reasons in
different cars. It may be a built in reminder set to go off around 100k for
the O2 sensor in the exhaust or something totally different. If you don't
have your manual, I believe you can download it from Mazda USA on the web
(IIRC).

Good luck,
Chris

Old September 26th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> If you don't
>have your manual, I believe you can download it from Mazda USA on the web

Yeah but they want a bunch of info and for me to
"register" to get the manual. So I guess that's out
Old September 26th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

altar nospam > wrote:

>90% of the time it is because of a loose gas cap or a bad one. At
>115k, just buy a new cap.

OK I will double check

But I checked cap tightness last night and all was well

I will fill up the tank this time tho.
Old September 27th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
KWS

If you have a local Autozone parts store, they have a rental policy that
includes a code reader. You pay them a hundred something dollars on your
credit card and they hand you the reader. You go out to the car, plug
it in, read the codes, write them down, bring the thing back to them and
they credit your card for the same amount.

They can look up the code and give you their interpretation of what
needs fixing. The most common offender is an oxygen sensor. In your 2000
Protege, both O2 sensors are very easy to change (unlike some). Or you
can post the codes here or elsewhere on the web and let all us "experts"
out there give you advice. Your choice.

All the best,

Ken

Old September 27th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

altar nospam > wrote:

> If it isn't clear in a week of good driving, buy a new cap. I
>would anyway. They're cheap.

The vehicle is only 6 years old should cap be replaced
already?

Also the cap is tethered to vehicle how do I replace
it?
Old September 27th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

KWS > wrote:

>They can look up the code and give you their interpretation of what
>needs fixing. The most common offender is an oxygen sensor. In your 2000
>Protege, both O2 sensors are very easy to change (unlike some). Or you
>can post the codes here or elsewhere on the web and let all us "experts"
>out there give you advice. Your choice.

OK thanks

Where does the instrument "plug into the vehicle at
tho?

Where is the "port" in the vehicle?