This Will Please Some and **** Off Others

Old July 11th 06, 10:42 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel

Default This Will Please Some and **** Off Others

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> http://www.zippyvideos.com/4541598645560526/lemmein/
>
> Keep your eye on the blue Vulva in the left lane, in front of the Geo
> Metro. Dip**** wants to get onto the freeway on the right, but instead
> of planning ahead and getting into the right lane, Doofus pulls into
> the left lane at the traffic light. When the light turns green,
> Dippyspaz flips on his signal and waits to be let in. Watch and see if
> I do it.

At least he signaled far enough in front of you that you could actually
see it. I love when people sit there abreast of you with their signal
on, but they don't have sidemarkers on their car, so you can't tell that
the reason they're pacing you is they're actually expecting you to let
them in... sometimes you can tell what they're doing because a little
sliver of their front turn signals will be visible. I make an extra
special effort to do absolutely nothing around these idiots.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old July 11th 06, 11:45 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 05:42:54 -0400, Nate Nagel > wrote:

>Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>> http://www.zippyvideos.com/4541598645560526/lemmein/
>>
>> Keep your eye on the blue Vulva in the left lane, in front of the Geo
>> Metro. Dip**** wants to get onto the freeway on the right, but instead
>> of planning ahead and getting into the right lane, Doofus pulls into
>> the left lane at the traffic light. When the light turns green,
>> Dippyspaz flips on his signal and waits to be let in. Watch and see if
>> I do it.

>At least he signaled far enough in front of you that you could actually
>see it. I love when people sit there abreast of you with their signal
>on, but they don't have sidemarkers on their car, so you can't tell that
>the reason they're pacing you is they're actually expecting you to let
>them in... sometimes you can tell what they're doing because a little
>sliver of their front turn signals will be visible. I make an extra
>special effort to do absolutely nothing around these idiots.
>
>nate

Had an unreal moment a few years ago on I-95. I wanted to get off at
Woodbridge. Woman comes hauling up on me in the merge lane, and dispite tons
of room behind me, sits herself down exactly beside me and paces me. Apparently
expects me to move left. I would have simply missed the exit before I would
have let her in. Finally she gets all ****ed off (honks the horn) and falls
back and gets in behind me like she should have done in the 1st place. I then
exit. But dang, what's wrong with people?

DPH
Old July 11th 06, 01:10 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:45:52 GMT, Dave Head > was
understood to have stated the following:

>But dang, what's wrong with people?

They are retarded. 42,000 darwin awards presented annually should be
sufficient proof of that.

---

"Do we operate under a system of equal justice under law? Or is there one system for the average citizen and another for the high and mighty?" ~ Senator Ted Kennedy, 1973

--

El Pollo Loco (Laura Bush Murdered Her Boyfriend) demonstrates it's complete gullibility, stupidity, and state of delusion when it falls for an April Fool's joke, hook, line, and sinker:

Ragnar wrote:
> Gods, you're dumb. Its a rather obvious April Fool's joke. And you're
> the Fool.

This is no joke.
Old July 11th 06, 01:55 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Dave Head wrote:

> Had an unreal moment a few years ago on I-95. I wanted to get off at
> Woodbridge. Woman comes hauling up on me in the merge lane, and dispite tons
> of room behind me, sits herself down exactly beside me and paces me. Apparently
> expects me to move left. I would have simply missed the exit before I would
> have let her in. Finally she gets all ****ed off (honks the horn) and falls
> back and gets in behind me like she should have done in the 1st place. I then
> exit. But dang, what's wrong with people?

Wait a minute there sparky. This is the same 'confrontational
personality' that you chide me for. Why didn't you let her in? She might
have had a gun!

Old July 11th 06, 03:55 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> The light turns green, and the Sloths take off slothily. The Sloth in
> the right lane has a long, WIDE OPEN ramp in front of him; all he had
> to do was speed up ever-so-slightly and merge in front of the other
> Sloth. Instead, he positions his car next to the gap between the left
> lane Sloth and my car, and paces us waiting for me to let him in.
> ****ING RETARD!!! Needless to say, this dumbass ended up merging in
> behind me.

> And that ****tard thinks I'm a "bad guy" because I'm not a JLEDI.

I see that frequently. All they have to do is accelerate and be in front of
everyone, yet they sit there and purposely create a situation where
someone has to take special action. Then they wonder why I and other
drivers don't want to be behind them...

Old July 13th 06, 04:35 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:45:52 GMT, Dave Head > wrote:
>
> >Had an unreal moment a few years ago on I-95. I wanted to get off at
> >Woodbridge. Woman comes hauling up on me in the merge lane, and dispite

tons
> >of room behind me, sits herself down exactly beside me and paces me.

Apparently
> >expects me to move left. I would have simply missed the exit before I

would
> >have let her in. Finally she gets all ****ed off (honks the horn) and

falls
> >back and gets in behind me like she should have done in the 1st place. I

then
> >exit. But dang, what's wrong with people?

> Some people seem to think that the word "merge" means "you MUST let me
> into the lane IN FRONT OF YOU." Merging in BEHIND someone is simply
> unthinkable.

Merging means that if the merging car is in front of you, yes, you must
allow the merging car to merge in front of you. If the merging car is behind
your car, then of course, the merging car must merge in behind you (and by
extension, the car behind you must allow the merging car to merge in front
of it).

Speeding up to block a merge is unacceptable--if one speeds up to pass, they
must completely pass before the dashed line of the merge lane ends, and
preferably before the solid line ends, or their pass was not done in safety.

I've also encountered one idiot that chose to remain in my blind
spot as the dashed line came to an end--neither passing nor backing off--and
eventually forced me onto the shoulder or else a collision would have
occurred. That car needed to pass or back off, not remain in my blind spot
and outright block me. (Of course, the fact that I use the BGE side mirror
adjustment meant that I saw that car, even though he was right where a blind
spot would have been with a non-BGE side mirror adjustment.)

> One time I was on the new on-ramp to the southbound 5 near Disneyland.
> The ramp is 2 lanes, merging to one lane near the end of the ramp;

That type of ramp design is fundamentally idiotic, and yet it is also far
too common.

The two lanes should both transition onto the freeway and then one or both
lanes should end later on at some point on the freeway itself, rather than
forcing two lanes to reduce to one lane just before a merge point.

[snip...]

Old July 13th 06, 04:53 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:

> Merging means that if the merging car is in front of you, yes, you must
> allow the merging car to merge in front of you. If the merging car is behind
> your car, then of course, the merging car must merge in behind you (and by
> extension, the car behind you must allow the merging car to merge in front
> of it).

Then you won't have trouble citing actual vehicle code. I know the IL
vehicle states nothing of the kind.

> Speeding up to block a merge is unacceptable--if one speeds up to pass, they
> must completely pass before the dashed line of the merge lane ends, and
> preferably before the solid line ends, or their pass was not done in safety.

Speed of those on the road should remain constant near the ramp.

> I've also encountered one idiot that chose to remain in my blind
> spot as the dashed line came to an end--neither passing nor backing off--and
> eventually forced me onto the shoulder or else a collision would have
> occurred. That car needed to pass or back off, not remain in my blind spot
> and outright block me. (Of course, the fact that I use the BGE side mirror
> adjustment meant that I saw that car, even though he was right where a blind
> spot would have been with a non-BGE side mirror adjustment.)

Did it ever occur to you to press your right foot down? He was probably
holding his speed constant so you can merge. I had driver just sit like
that out in front and to my right... then the light bulb went on. He
pushed the go pedal and merged at a higher speed. He then remained at that
speed and his tail lamps got smaller in the distance....

Old July 13th 06, 04:00 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
gpsman

Scott en Aztlán wrote: <brevity snip>
> Traffic in the lane being merged into HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY over the
> car wishing to merge. There is no requirement on my part to slow down
> and let you in front.

No dumbass, there isn't. You seem to have mistakenly interpreted that
when you have the ROW, it remains yours forever. There is a
requirement for you to yield to traffic merging onto the highway, once
you have been yielded to:

Entry Onto Highway

21804. (a) The driver of any vehicle about to enter or cross a
highway from any public or private property, or from an alley, shall
yield the right-of-way to all traffic, as defined in Section 620,
approaching on the highway close enough to constitute an immediate
hazard, and shall continue to yield the right-of-way to that traffic
until he or she can proceed with reasonable safety.

(b) A driver having yielded as prescribed in subdivision (a) may
proceed to enter or cross the highway, and the drivers of all other
vehicles approaching on the highway shall yield the right of-way to the
vehicle entering or crossing the intersection.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21804.htm

Which part of "the drivers of all other vehicles approaching on the
highway shall yield the right of-way to the vehicle entering or
crossing the intersection" escapes your comprehension?

> I have the right of
> way over the merger; it's up to them to speed up or slow down to find
> a safe gap into which they can merge.

Unfortunately for your oblivious mind, a gap does not always exist on
SoCal freeways (and a "safe gap" is a pretty rare item). Where that
gap does not exist it is your duty to create it. Since I suspect that
you are usually following too closely to protect "your" ROW, the only
options left to you are to slow down or move left to accomodate traffic
merging on the highway.

Perhaps you haven't noticed that many entrance ramps in SoCal are very
short and not all SoCalians drive high performance vehicles that offer
the manueverability yours does.

> Learn how to merge properly.

You must be absent the emotion of embarrassment.
-----

- gpsman

Old July 13th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

"Daniel W. Rouse Jr." > wrote in
:

> "Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:45:52 GMT, Dave Head > wrote:
>>
>> >Had an unreal moment a few years ago on I-95. I wanted to get off
>> >at Woodbridge. Woman comes hauling up on me in the merge lane, and
>> >dispite

> tons
>> >of room behind me, sits herself down exactly beside me and paces me.

> Apparently
>> >expects me to move left. I would have simply missed the exit before

> would
>> >have let her in. Finally she gets all ****ed off (honks the horn)
>> >and

> falls
>> >back and gets in behind me like she should have done in the 1st
>> >place. I

> then
>> >exit. But dang, what's wrong with people?

>> Some people seem to think that the word "merge" means "you MUST let
>> me into the lane IN FRONT OF YOU." Merging in BEHIND someone is
>> simply unthinkable.
>>

> Merging means that if the merging car is in front of you, yes, you
> must allow the merging car to merge in front of you.

Not if it would be an unsafe lane change.(being too close to you)

So...how much "in front" must the merging car be?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old July 13th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

Scott en Aztlán > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 20:35:38 -0700, "Daniel W. Rouse Jr."
> wrote:
>
>>> Some people seem to think that the word "merge" means "you MUST let
>>> me into the lane IN FRONT OF YOU." Merging in BEHIND someone is
>>> simply unthinkable.
>>>

>>Merging means that if the merging car is in front of you, yes, you
>>must allow the merging car to merge in front of you.

> Um, no.
>
> Traffic in the lane being merged into HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY over the
> car wishing to merge. There is no requirement on my part to slow down
> and let you in front.
>
>>Speeding up to block a merge is unacceptable

> I agree.

I don't agree.
If the merge is going to be too close to me when there's room
behind("shoehorning in"),then I will block it.

> Kindly show me where I stated that I speed up. I'll be
> waiting.
>
> In the meantime, I'll repeat what I actually DID say: I neither speed
> up nor slow down to accommodate merging traffic. I have the right of
> way over the merger; it's up to them to speed up or slow down to find
> a safe gap into which they can merge.

There's the KEY;"SAFE gap".
Changing lanes(merging) is not safe if they move only a few feet in front
of you(tailgating the car in front of you).
And certainly not prudent when there's lots of room -behind- your vehicle
in the through-lane.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik