Would like oil leak fixed

Old July 23rd 05, 06:17 PM
mike92105

Default Would like oil leak fixed

Does anybody have suggestion for local mechanic in San Diego to fix my
oil leaking '88 Wagoneer. It is not the valve cover and I already had rear
seal replaced. I would do it myself if I could locate the leak. It is more
of a nuissance leak, in that it is small but it drips right on the exhaust
manifold which causes a bad smell.
Saw a guy cleaning his engine compartment at the local do it yourself
carwash the other day, would this be a good way to remove old oil or is
there a better way, so that I can possibly see where it is leaking from.

Old July 23rd 05, 06:33 PM
DougW

mike92105 did pass the time by typing:
> Does anybody have suggestion for local mechanic in San Diego to fix my
> oil leaking '88 Wagoneer. It is not the valve cover and I already had rear
> seal replaced. I would do it myself if I could locate the leak. It is more
> of a nuissance leak, in that it is small but it drips right on the exhaust
> manifold which causes a bad smell.
> Saw a guy cleaning his engine compartment at the local do it yourself
> carwash the other day, would this be a good way to remove old oil or is
> there a better way, so that I can possibly see where it is leaking from.

Just remember if you use a pressure washer.. do not use the high pressure
when pointing around gaskets or you can rip the gasket material or drive
water into the oil pan. Also cover the distributor with a baggie (I use
foil) and don't spray a hot engine. And what ever you do, wear protective
eyewear.. cleaner and oil/crud in the eyeball sucks muchly.

I used the Gunk brand foaming engine cleaner on my old truck. All it took
to wash off was a garden hose... Having a gravel driveway was a nice thing
at that time. Don't use it on a concrete driveway unless you like massive
stains.

--
DougW

Old July 23rd 05, 06:43 PM
Dave Milne

I cleaned my Waggy engine by hand with a bucket of water and cloths - took
1/2 a day and was thoroughly messy and unpleasant, but I didn't short out
the waggy crappy electrics, and I did a good job. Like Doug, I use Gunk -
use some gloves to avoid irritating the hell out of your skin.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old July 23rd 05, 06:51 PM
Earle Horton

Which engine is it? If the V8, then sometimes oil leaks out the rear of the
intake manifold gasket. DIY carwash is a good way to remove oil, if you
don't get the ignition system wet.

Earle

Old July 23rd 05, 10:49 PM
Jeff Strickland

The local spray-n-wash is a good idea. If there is one really near to your
house, you can spray the motor down with Simple Green, then drive to the
spray-n-wash and clean it all off. The Simple Green will cut all of the dirt
and crud and leave your motor clean enough to eat off of, you might even be
able to cook a burrito on your commute to work.

Once you get it cleaned up, and still need a mechanic, I have used Jeff
Sheckle in El Cajon.

Old July 23rd 05, 10:51 PM
Jeff Strickland

And, if you do get the ignition (distributor) wet, then use WD40 on the
inside of the distributor cap.

news:1122140892.e13c5f620555777cd10001a5ac4164ca@t eranews...